1 of 8
FUEL ADDITIVES: Pills, liquids etc. Are these for real or just more SCAMS?
Posted: 11 May 2006 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08

The fuel additive topic seems to be of interest to people so I’ve started this thread.

Enjoy!

Dave
EDH UK

Posted: 11 May 2006 06:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2006-05-11

Well, dang, I had to finally become a member, just so I could be the first to repy here.  I’m gonna be pissed if someone has posted while I’ve been becoming a member!

Posted: 11 May 2006 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
hcmomof4 - 11 May 2006 10:44 PM

Well, dang, I had to finally become a member, just so I could be the first to repy here.  I’m gonna be pissed if someone has posted while I’ve been becoming a member!

Very contributive first post, I must say.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 11 May 2006 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21
Citizen Premier - 11 May 2006 10:59 PM
hcmomof4 - 11 May 2006 10:44 PM

Very contributive first post, I must say.

Pot. Kettle.

In general, most fuel ‘enhancers’ are either a hoax or useless to the average consumer.

The little magnets, pills, crystals and squirrel droppings that you find ads for in the back of ‘Cosmic Crystals Magazine’ are completely bogus.

There *are* things you can add to your fuel mix to increase performance (boy, does that ever sound naughty), but they are primarily for high-performance engines, and to be used by people who know what they’re doing.

Your best bet for good engine performance is regular maintainence and proper fuel.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 11 May 2006 09:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  356
Joined  2004-11-10

Check out the Google ads that come up on this thread.

Signature 

Alas, to wear the mantle of Galileo it is not enough that you be persecuted by an unkind establishment, you must also be right.
-Robert Park

Posted: 11 May 2006 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Salt is a great fuel additive.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 11 May 2006 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  459
Joined  2005-07-08

Robin,

“There *are* things you can add to your fuel mix to increase performance…”

I think that tends to be octane boosters when you have a high compression engine needing higher octane fuel than you can get at the pump. Of course, it’s not really that the higher octane # in itself brings about the extra horsepower, rather the higher compression and generally improved engine design. You know, the kind of engine prepared for the local race track, or one of the pocket rocket engine mods. The higher octane fuel prevents the dreaded pre-ignition.

However, the impression that adding such an octane booster to your bog standard street car with an 8.2 to 1 compression ratio to increase horsepower is very easy to create.

“WILL OCTANE BOOSTERS ADD HORSEPOWER?

No. This is a misconception. Octane in itself does not add power. However, an engine that’s forced to run on fuel with a lower octane than what’s needed will run hot, detonate, and eventually lose power. The proper octane level will let the engine run to its full potential, but won’t transform it into something special.”

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/rick/gas2/

As with the LifeWave patches scam, there always seem to be enough of a certain kind of person to make these questionable items sell. And, let’s face it, it doesn’t take too long before the numbers add up to some serious money that someone is making before the whole affair is in the history books.

Dave

Posted: 12 May 2006 12:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

For the translation into Person Who Doesn’t Know Cars, see my post. smile

Like I said, regular maintainence and proper fuel.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 12 May 2006 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

I live on an island and we do have sometimes very high humidity here and you notice a boost to the car. The engine (a V6 2,7lliter in my case) is more responsive. So water will be fine.  Seems that the air is denser and cooler or something like that that gives the boost.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 12 May 2006 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I knew a guy that had a truck that he fixed to fun on garbage.  Just regular ol’ household garbage.

I remember rearing about an engine that ran on used frying oil.  All you had to do was pull up to the local fast food joint and and fill up from their grease pit - a win-win as rastaurants normally have to pay somebody to take it away.  Problam was, it made the air smell like a McDonalds french fry and probably left a pretty nasty residue as well.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 12 May 2006 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-05-12

Here is a link to one “gas saving” company profile on ABC:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Moms/story?id=1850045&page=1

Here is a link to an article on another:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/04/aaa_gas_prices.html

and here is a link to the corporate site for the company I represent:

http://www.ethosfr.com/PressRoom/VideoGallery.html

Now let the games begin.

Posted: 12 May 2006 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  22747
Joined  2006-03-29

I hear sugar and water will make a tank of gas last forever.

Signature 

Remember, remember… I am the ONE.

1 of 8