2 of 2
{/paginate}
Starbucks uses insects in food and drink
Posted: 24 April 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Ick Unfairly, I don’t eat either BUT I do take krill supplements and I believe that does amount to the same thing!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 April 2012 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2012-04-19

It is a good point that not all insects are the same, and context is important, in some cultures some six-legged stuff is considered a delicacy, whereas as pointed out if there are live flies around your food you probably don’t want them there. Similarly, I’ll eat chicken in a restaurant, whereas even if I fancied a snack and there were no shops open, I wouldn’t be likely to stand in a local train station with a net catching the foetid, mutilated, filthy station pigeons flying about and get tucked in!

(Incidentally I never have worked out why station pigeons are so terribly mutilated, particularly their feet. It always freaks me out, which is odd becuase I’m pretty happy to deal with injured humans and have done quite a bit of that. I suppose it’s partly that the mutilated pigeons tend to have old, festering wounds, aren’t looking for treatment for them and anyway I have no idea how you treat mutilated pigeon-feet! Still don’t know how they get that way though, I have no doubt their environment causes them illnesses but I suppose they probably also get injured a lot flying about busy stations. Sorry, bit of an odd tangent, must stop doing that. I do this sort of crap in conversation as well by the way. I once had a pretty nasty head injury, and was told by a Neuropsycholgist I met that it’s not unknown for such injuries to result in people being prone to “verbose, rambling tangents” even long after recovery, which sounds about right!)

Posted: 10 May 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2012-05-09

Hi everybody,
does somebody know Campari? - A nice aperitif! Till 2006 Campari used lice as colourant, as well!

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

With all the tiem I’ve spent out camping and the time I spent in the field with the armed forces, I’ve probably consumed more than my share of bugs.  We used to just grab our food and sit down under a tree to eat.  You were constantly picking bugs and bits of nature out of your food.  I can’t say as any of it every harmed me in any way.  It’s just the thought that bothers people.  If they didn’t know they were eating stuff like that they wouldn’t care. 

Kinda like the pink slime in meat that is in the news these days.  People have been eating it for years and not knowing.  Now there’s an outcry.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 May 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Besides, you probably eat more bugs just from having them fall into your food than you eat in the form of processed food additives.  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 11 May 2012 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
gray - 10 May 2012 09:07 PM

With all the tiem I’ve spent out camping and the time I spent in the field with the armed forces, I’ve probably consumed more than my share of bugs.  We used to just grab our food and sit down under a tree to eat.  You were constantly picking bugs and bits of nature out of your food.  I can’t say as any of it every harmed me in any way.  It’s just the thought that bothers people.  If they didn’t know they were eating stuff like that they wouldn’t care. 

Kinda like the pink slime in meat that is in the news these days.  People have been eating it for years and not knowing.  Now there’s an outcry.

As we say in The Netherlands: “Honger maakt rauwe bonen zoet” ...  “Hunger makes raw beans sweet”

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}

‹‹ Space mining      Meet Iceberg the whale ››