Falling asleep at church
Posted: 08 April 2012 12:00 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I started nodding off for a bit this morning at the Easter Sunday Service I went too. It’s not the first time I’ve done it at church.

I can’t blame the stuffiness in the building as the hall we are in is really big and the ceiling is very high. I think the air circulation is reasonable even though there must’ve been more than a couple of thousand people at the service this morning.

I think I don’t get enough sleep generally. I have this awful habit of falling asleep with the light on. Plus I’m trying to cut down on sugar (Easter eggs notwithstanding) and carbohydrates so I think that would affect my energy levels.

I just feel embarrassed when I find I’ve fallen asleep at such events.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 08 April 2012 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Probably all of those things contribute to falling asleep as does being very relaxed.  Of course I’d not discount either a lecture that lacks enthusiasm and audience participation.

I have often wondered why Christians insist on being inside buildings in the first place since the original teacher seldom was so sheltered when he talked to various groups, he was nearly always outside under the sky and stars.  There was nothing fancy about that gentleman by any stretch.  He never asked anything from people he met and relied on charity to feed and shelter him while he made his 3-year trek. 

In fact, this gentleman’s talks were never long-winded and mostly based on questions put to him that he answered and many times these queries and answers were engaged AS he walked along. 

In the end, I think this remarkable teacher was more a typical act of Nature like the wind and rain, without boundaries, without conquest, without demand. 

Perhaps Peter, if you had been one of those walking then, you would never have dreamed of making an appointed day to sit in a polished pew, inside the borders of specific building, dressed and perfumed…...........  You would would not have felt drowsy nor relaxed, but most likely excited and exhilarated trekking along and listening.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 08 April 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 08 April 2012 10:25 AM

Perhaps Peter, if you had been one of those walking then, you would never have dreamed of making an appointed day to sit in a polished pew, inside the borders of specific building, dressed and perfumed…...........  You would would not have felt drowsy nor relaxed, but most likely excited and exhilarated trekking along and listening.

Of course I’d also be dead by now so the subject would be redundant. grin

I have to admit the formality of on occasion can put me to sleep.

Plus when I had my filtration with Amway many years ago I wound up falling asleep at the meetings. I think I was a bit of a site when I was in the front row in my formal attire. Then again I saw the error of my ways and I left Amway. One thing I found was Amway managed to make wealth seem like boring trash.

(Plus there was one incident at an Amway meeting that offended me. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it before.).

Curiously when I first went to church (a different one to where I’m now going) it reminded me of an Amway meeting. I was wondering who was imitating who.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 08 April 2012 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Not according to that ‘teacher’.

I believe any formal attire that might have been ever remotely viewed all that time ago were those of the Pharisees and Sadducees. who would never have forgiven that teacher’s dusty feet.

Curiously when I first went to church (a different one to where I’m now going) it reminded me of an Amway meeting. I was wondering who was imitating who.

Ummm because the first idea had no requirement of ‘loyalty’ or ‘coin’ or anything other than an open, hungry mind and heart.  There was not a cover charge or overhead and everything was shared.  I do not see how either of the above would or could ever fit that description? 

Regardless of my own opinion Peter, I hope you have a great day!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 08 April 2012 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 08 April 2012 02:24 PM

Not according to that ‘teacher’.

Yes of course I should’ve expressed that caveat.

hulitoons - 08 April 2012 02:24 PM

I believe any formal attire that might have been ever remotely viewed all that time ago were those of the Pharisees and Sadducees. who would never have forgiven that teacher’s dusty feet.

Ummm because the first idea had no requirement of ‘loyalty’ or ‘coin’ or anything other than an open, hungry mind and heart.  There was not a cover charge or overhead and everything was shared.  I do not see how either of the above would or could ever fit that description? 

Regardless of my own opinion Peter, I hope you have a great day!

The church/amway comparison was really just a comment on the public speaking style being used. Nothing to do with anything “being sold”.

Maybe I just need a holiday. Being at university can be draining.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 09 April 2012 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

Sounds like it can be pretty boring too.  I certainly know that feeling.  Put me in a classroom and it’s a guarantee I’ll be falling asleep in about 15 mins no matter what subject is being taught.  I used to do it in church all the time until my parents gave up making me go to church each sunday.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 10 April 2012 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I once fainted in Church. I think it was my sub-conscious telling me that it is not a place I should be.