When you really want an iPad
Posted: 06 April 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17640209

China arrests after kidney sold for iPad

Five people have been arrested in southern China after a teenager sold his kidney so he could buy an iPhone and iPad, state media have reported.

Those detained include the surgeon who removed the kidney from the boy in April last year.

State-run Xinhua news agency says the group received around $35,000 (£22,000) for the transplant.

The student is said to be suffering renal failure, according to prosecutors in Hunan province quoted by Xinhua.

Only identified by his surname Wang, he is said to have received about $3,000 for his kidney.

The 17-year-old was reportedly recruited for the illegal trade through an online chatroom.

Organ shortage

The case was discovered when his mother noticed the new gadgets; when asked where he got the money, he admitted selling a kidney.

The group behind the operation have been charged with causing intentional injury and illegal organ trading.

While Apple iPhones and iPads are very popular in China, they are priced beyond the reach of many urban workers.

And there is a constant shortage of organ donors.

Official figures from the health ministry show that about 1.5 million people need transplants, but only 10,000 are performed annually.

Executed prisoners have been often used as a source of organs, but last month China vowed to phase this out over the next five years.

Very reminiscent of those “waking up in a tub of ice with your kidney missing” stories, but with a bit more active participation on the donor’s part.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 07 April 2012 02:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Xinhua?

very interesting name for a chinese news agency

xin = New
hua = say/speak

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 07 April 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I am very glad to see the authorities there taking action against this kind of exploitation all the way around.  I am also wondering the reasons the child went into renal failure IF there was still one kidney left….......but then I am also questioning how long it took for the surgery and recuperation?  Surely he didn’t just get up and walk home?  Or maybe he did?  Or did they remove BOTH kidneys and he actually did walk home (after his purchases) and renal failure was immediate?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 08 April 2012 02:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

So the mother noted the gadget but not the operation wounds?

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 08 April 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
hulitoons - 07 April 2012 08:46 AM

I am very glad to see the authorities there taking action against this kind of exploitation all the way around.  I am also wondering the reasons the child went into renal failure IF there was still one kidney left….......but then I am also questioning how long it took for the surgery and recuperation?  Surely he didn’t just get up and walk home?  Or maybe he did?  Or did they remove BOTH kidneys and he actually did walk home (after his purchases) and renal failure was immediate?

Eh.. kidney removal is a delicate process. if you do it wrong, the remaining one decides to stop working.. or he may have had only one good kidney to begin with.. or there may have been an infection (very probable with black market dealings).

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 April 2012 11:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21
LaMa - 08 April 2012 02:08 AM

So the mother noted the gadget but not the operation wounds?

Eh. T-shirt to cover the bandages, not too hard.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 08 April 2012 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Sharruma - 07 April 2012 02:25 AM

Xinhua?

very interesting name for a chinese news agency

xin = New
hua = say/speak

Yep, it can basically be translated as “New news”.  It’s the official state news agency of China.  So something like Pravda, only a bit more rooted in the real world (sometimes; the big question is whether or not this is one of those times).

hulitoons - 07 April 2012 08:46 AM

I am very glad to see the authorities there taking action against this kind of exploitation all the way around.  I am also wondering the reasons the child went into renal failure IF there was still one kidney left….......

It could be that the one kidney functioning all be itself got overworked.  Or it could just be an ordinary kidney problem not related to the loss of the other kidney, but it becomes a serious problem to him because he doesn’t have the other kidney to take up the slack.  It looks as though the surgery was about a year ago, so it’s probably not due to a sudden infection from that.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 09 April 2012 12:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26366
Joined  2004-11-29

Actually, this story is about that they arrested the guys who did the surgery.  I seem to remember reading an article when it was first discovered that the kid had sold the kidney for the electronics, which wasn’t that long after the surgery had occured.

Link to original story here.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 09 April 2012 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Um.. no. Not Apple. Shady black-market organleggers who are willing to take advantage of a kid’s desire for Apple products, maybe, but Apple itself? I think not.

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}