1 of 2
{/paginate}
What did I violate???
Posted: 29 March 2012 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with the statement: “There is no such thing as an ‘old’ man!” I actually submitted this as an answer to a question posed on Yahoo Answers.

Question: If a young man’s fancy turns to love in the spring, what does an old man’s fancy turn to? (As for myself, my fancy turns to the fact that I’ve somehow managed to survive another winter.)

My response was: There is no such thing as an ‘old’ man!

Yahoo Answers sent me this:_____________ (via e-mail)

Hi Hulitoons,

The answer you gave on Yahoo! Answers was reported by the Answers community:

“There is no such thing as an ‘old’ man!”

This answer has been removed and 10 points have been deducted from your account. You may not have realized this, but all answers submitted on Yahoo! Answers must comply with the Answers Community Guidelines.

What did I violate?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 29 March 2012 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Personally I can see nothing offensive about your statement. Perhaps it’s something more subtle.

Can you supply a link to the guidelines.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 29 March 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

This is what they sent me:  http://answers.yahoo.com/info/community_guidelines

Yahoo! Answers Community Guidelines

Yahoo! Answers is an online community in which participants ask and answer questions on a wide range of topics. Like any other community, we have a core set of principles that must be followed by all members. Your use of Yahoo! Answers is subject to the Yahoo! Answers Community Guidelines, Yahoo! Community Guidelines, and the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Violating the Community Guidelines may result in the termination of your Answers account without warning. In extreme cases, violations may result in the termination of your Yahoo! ID, and consequently, access to all other Yahoo! services.

For safety reasons, children under the age of 13 are not permitted to ask or answer questions on Yahoo! Answers.
Good

The community depends on each member to help keep Yahoo! Answers a safe, fun, and positive place for everyone. Anyone can report abuse, but members who earn good reputations can help us detect and remove abuse more quickly.

Share what you know.

Chances are, someone could benefit from your knowledge, opinions, or personal experiences. Sharing what you know is one of many ways you can make a positive contribution to the community. Read more
  Be courteous.

Remember, we’re a diverse community of people with diverse opinions. Everyone wants to be treated with respect, and showing respect to others makes the community better for all members. Read more
  Be a good citizen.

When you see a great question or answer, give it a star or thumbs-up. If you see abuse, report it. We’re committed to doing our best to stop abuse on Answers, and, with your help, we can make a difference. Read more
  Cite your sources.

We encourage members to use online resources in answering questions. Just be sure to cite your sources and give credit where it is due. Read more
  Ask clearly.

Keep your questions succinct, but be descriptive enough to help people understand what you’re asking. Correct spelling and grammar help people find your questions, and you’ll get better answers when others can clearly make out what you’re asking. Read more
  Categorize correctly.

Categorize your question correctly. Placing your question in the right category ensures that it is seen by people who can give you better information and more accurate answers. Yahoo! Answers is available in many countries and languages, so find the right one for your location or language. Read more

Bad

Your use of Yahoo! Answers is subject to the Yahoo! Answers Community Guidelines, Yahoo! Community Guidelines, and also the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Members who have violated the Community Guidelines are at risk for review and possible termination of their Answers accounts. In extreme cases, members risk losing their Yahoo! ID, and consequently, access to all other Yahoo! services.

Venting, ranting or using hate speech

Yahoo! Answers isn’t a soapbox to vent personal frustrations or rant about issues. We are a community of people with diverse beliefs, opinions, and backgrounds, so please be respectful and keep hateful and incendiary comments off Yahoo! Answers. Read more >
  Chatting or otherwise violating the question-and-answer format.

Yahoo! Answers is a community of questions and answers, not a chat room. If a post is neither a question nor an answer, it doesn’t belong here. If you’re looking for a place to chat with others, try Yahoo! Groups or Yahoo! Messenger Chat Rooms. Read more
  Being mean or obscene

Because kids as young as 13 may participate in Yahoo! Answers, sexually explicit and vulgar language and images are not welcome on the site. Also not welcome are belligerence, insults, slurs and generally objectionable speech. If you wouldn’t say it in public, don’t post it on Answers. Read more
  Exploiting the community

Yahoo! Answers is a place to gain knowledge, not customers, page views, or dates. If you have years of experience in something, have a special hobby, own your own business, or if you are a knowledge partner, it’s OK to accompany a good, on-topic answer with a link to your website, blog, or email to offer more information. However, it is not OK to post links that are unrelated to the topic or are clearly meant only to solicit others for personal and financial gain. Also prohibited are solicitations like “Will you add me as a contact?” or propositioning people. Read more
  Cheating

Our points system is meant to reward the community members for sharing questions and answers, so creating multiple accounts or posting content for the sole purpose of gaining points or soliciting others for points is not permitted. Posting filler answers to a question in an effort to be first to answer, or copying and pasting other members’ answers, are also forms of cheating. Read more
  Violating the law

Members of Yahoo! Answers are not above the law, so don’t post anything that violates the laws of your country, state, province, or city. Don’t try to trick people into sharing their personal information, steal anything (like copyright or trademark material), or break into places you shouldn’t be. Don’t threaten, harass, impersonate, or hurt others, and don’t invade other people’s privacy. Read more
  Behaving maliciously

Don’t post links to sites that contain viruses or malicious programs or that interfere with the operation of Yahoo! Answers. Read more
  Misusing Answers

Don’t create multiple accounts to troll or otherwise violate these guidelines or the Yahoo! Terms of Service. Don’t post things that are incomprehensible or in the wrong language, and don’t post the same question over and over again. The community depends on you to report abuse and rate questions and answers, so using product features such as report abuse and ratings to target others is not allowed. Read more

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 29 March 2012 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Continued:

Doing harm

Be responsible and don’t misrepresent yourself, claim false credentials or expertise or give advice in a way that might cause someone harm. Don’t incite or advocate violence or harmful practices. Read more

Using Answers Safely
Age restriction

Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to ask or answer questions on Yahoo! Answers nor establish communication with other Yahoo! Answers users. To learn more about using Yahoo! Answers safely, please visit http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/answers/safety/.

Signature 

Posted: 29 March 2012 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

Hmm
Having read that, I can see nothing in your answer that violates the guidelines, excepting that the question itself does not violate the guidelines.

I think this is probably a case of Yahoo being d****

Maybe someone else can see something I’m not.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 29 March 2012 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9093
Joined  2008-03-02

My guess would be that someone decided that it was vaguely offensive (or else that you were trolling), reported your response, and the folks at Yahoo either agreed or just took action without really thinking about it.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 29 March 2012 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

Yahoo has been going downhill as a company.

I can only think there is some religious conservative idiot in Yahoo who takes offence to any suggestion people above a certain age are still interested in sex. By that logic I’m going straight to hell.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 29 March 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Right beside you Peter!~

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 03:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

My money wold be on someone involved not having a sense of humor, and deciding your answer was ‘frivolous’ or ‘silly’ as opposed to ‘offensive’. Probably a newly-minted mod drunk with the power of being able to destroy anything they don’t like.

Meh, don’t let the turkeys get you down, I say.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 30 March 2012 03:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I suspect this may be the relevant bit they consider that you violated:

Posting filler answers to a question in an effort to be first to answer, or copying and pasting other members’ answers, are also forms of cheating.

The question asks: what does an old man’s fancy turn to? Your answer doesn’t answer that, it points out another matter. Not sure what Yahoo points equate to though, I never use it. Is it just worthless “credibility” points?

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

It’s a ‘forum’ very much like this one ‘Yahoo questions and answers’.  You get points for being voted ‘best answer’ when an answer is resolved.  However, if you’re reported often enough (as in this incident..this is the only one I’ve received), you can lose your entire account:  e-mail account and even even domain if you got your domain name via Yahoo.  Since my Yahoo e-mail account is also my business account that I’ve had for 12 years, that’s pretty significant.

I believe I’ll stay away from that forum.  This answer was also the first time I posted an answer in the senior citizens area too….

Signature 

Posted: 30 March 2012 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 30 March 2012 05:07 AM

It’s a ‘forum’ very much like this one ‘Yahoo questions and answers’.  You get points for being voted ‘best answer’ when an answer is resolved.  However, if you’re reported often enough (as in this incident..this is the only one I’ve received), you can lose your entire account:  e-mail account and even even domain if you got your domain name via Yahoo.  Since my Yahoo e-mail account is also my business account that I’ve had for 12 years, that’s pretty significant.

I believe I’ll stay away from that forum.  This answer was also the first time I posted an answer in the senior citizens area too….

You might want to get an email only account at a web host. You’d just need to register a domain name. I believe that sort to thing is very cheap in the US. I can ask about it if you want. Just PM me about it.

If you’re selling a reasonable amount per month that would be a good investment rather than relying on a company like Yahoo for your business email address. If you own your own domain name you can just park it with any web hosting company (even change it to another web hosting company) and you can still use the same email address that’s associated with the domain name.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}