1 of 1
{/paginate}
Belarusian behind “rent-a-fraudster” service arrested
Posted: 24 March 2012 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

A Belarusian who operated a rent-an-accomplice business for bank thieves has been sentenced to 33 months in prison in New York.

Dmitry Naskovets pleaded guilty to operating CallService.biz, a Russian-language site for identity criminals who trafficked in stolen bank-account data and other information

More at the source

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 24 March 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Where there’s a market, there’s an opportunity….

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 March 2012 07:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

So if I read this correctly some idiot owned a web site that advertised criminal services to other criminals. Is that what it really was? Bit like painting large red arrows with a large sign saying “I’m a criminal. Catch me”.

I’m assuming he used some password thingy type approach to “protect” his web site from the authorities. Maybe the real story should be about how some idiots think they can do what they want on the web without thinking they can get caught.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 24 March 2012 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

In all ‘reality’ though Peter, this kind of risky stupidity is also the very reason some people flirt with death in made up dare-sports too.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 March 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 24 March 2012 09:12 AM

In all ‘reality’ though Peter, this kind of risky stupidity is also the very reason some people flirt with death in made up dare-sports too.

I suppose if the criminals advertise their activities on web sites they’re doing society a favour. The web hosting companies get their fees and the police get their man or woman.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 24 March 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Well, it isn’t really all that uncommon for illegal stuff such as this to be publicly advertised.  What they usually do is to phrase things in a nice innocuous code, and count on word of mouth through the community of their clients to pass on what the actual meaning of things is.  So they might say something such as, “SMOKED HADDOCK:  $5,000 PER TON”, and any potential clients would see that and know that it really means, “CHEAP YUGOSLAVIAN ASSAULT RIFLES:  $5,000 PER CRATE”.

It only gets awkward when some innocent unsuspecting fellow shows up actually wanting to buy several tons of smoked haddock, or when the police notice that a certain notorious criminal has suddenly developed a rather spectacular appetite for smoked haddock from a particular company.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 30 March 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21
Accipiter - 24 March 2012 10:29 PM

It only gets awkward when some innocent unsuspecting fellow shows up actually wanting to buy several tons of smoked haddock, or when the police notice that a certain notorious criminal has suddenly developed a rather spectacular appetite for smoked haddock from a particular company.

LOL  LOL  LOL 

If they survived after the first time, one would think they had better keep some fish on hand! tongue wink LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}