The Real Flying Dutchman
Posted: 22 March 2012 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Jarno Smeets has been working for several months on his Human Bird Wings project—assembling long nylon wings powered by outrunner motors, rigging up a complicated Android + Arduino + Wii arm-waving control system—and now—according to the video he’s just published—they work! Man can fly!

Some people are somewhat skeptical that little motors, shallow flapping, and trotting along a flat field are enough to launch a tall Dutchman into the air. You can watch the video and let us know what you think.

Source with video

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 22 March 2012 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

On the front page, of course.

Protip: a ‘Flying Dutchman’ is part of the In-N-Out Secret Menu, and will get you two meat patties and two cheese. NOTHING else. Good for protienvores, folks looking for a snack for their dog, or those wanting a burger bigger than standard (they won’t make bigger than a 4x4 anymore).

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 22 March 2012 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  737
Joined  2006-12-06

Here’s a a picture of a ballpoint sketch of the device. My question is: This looks like an early prototype drawing. Jarno is Dutch. Why do the notes in English at this point?

Signature 

“I have CDO. Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!”

Posted: 22 March 2012 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27
Robin Bobcat - 22 March 2012 08:43 AM

On the front page, of course.

curses… that page has been dead for so long I still forget to look at it.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 24 March 2012 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

fixed the link

And it turns out to be a HOAX...

The Dutchman who claimed to have succeeded in making a pair of wings which allow him to fly like a bird, confessed on Dutch television on Thursday night that the entire project is a hoax.

The human birdman Jarno Smeets is in fact Dutch filmmaker and animator Floris Kaayk, who developed the eight-month project as an experiment to see how online media works, he told chat show De Wereld Draait Door.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 24 March 2012 06:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

LaMa, your link keeps bringing me right back to this thread?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 March 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

Isn’t LaMa the real Flying Dutchman (when he hops on a plane to go overseas that is)?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 24 March 2012 09:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
hulitoons - 24 March 2012 06:59 AM

LaMa, your link keeps bringing me right back to this thread?

Oops! Fixed it….

I noted Wired.com now has a piece on it too (here).

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 24 March 2012 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06
Peter - 24 March 2012 07:39 AM

Isn’t LaMa the real Flying Dutchman (when he hops on a plane to go overseas that is)?

For decades “The Flying Dutchman” was the slogan of the Dutch airliner company KLM.

Signature 

———

Posted: 24 March 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Anywho: I suggest one of the admins move this thread to Hoaxes???

Signature 

———