*Gives Peter…*
Hey! Where’d that biscuit go? angry

Signature 

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert - Arthur C Clarke

Posted: 23 March 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2011-07-04

Their shape looks quite mechanical to me atleast at first glance, but it was their placement that looked highly organic. As if someone had takend a bagful of gears and emptied it on the ground. Hm…I was hoping for something more groundbreaking. A better hoax perhaps, or having the gears placed in some sort of a coherent manner inside the rock.
Personally I’m not convinced until they dig up the TARDIS. Now a 400 million year old blue english phonebox - that would be newsworthy!

Posted: 23 March 2012 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

There was a place I discovered in some woods in Illinois, where a spring came out of the ground and a large patch of rocks was exposed.  The entire area of rocks, perhaps the size of a tennis court, was just a mass of fossilised crinoids rather like in those photos.  There were also tons (probably literally) of loose crinoid bits all over the place, like little polished disk-shaped agate beads.  I collected several bags of the loose bits, but I think I’ve probably lost them all since then.

If I ever pass through Illinois again, I might be tempted to find the place once more.  I still remember the general area where it was.  There was a big housing development nearby, though, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it has all been built over during the intervening years.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

{paginate}
3 of 3
{/paginate}