Swallowing gum
Posted: 06 March 2012 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I tend to swallow my chewing gum (I believe it’s referred to as just “gum” in some countries). Recently a certain person was upset with me for doing that, in the belief it is an unhealthy habit. Today I went back to my habit of swallowing my chewing gum.

If anything I’ve heard it just leads to a slight laxative effect. But my companion at the time seemed to this it was a very bad thing to do. What’s the consensus on this?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 06 March 2012 03:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

It is the sorbitol that has the potential laxative effect see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7180800.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum#Swallowed_gum For some more info, or the detail http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-chewing-gum-takes-seven-years-to-digest

Posted: 06 March 2012 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Gosh, most Moms were at least hopeful that after 7 years it’d come out.  My Mom was pretty persuasive simply telling us it’d get stuck there and NEVER come out while it gathered other stuff to it!

I used to BIG chew bubble gum, at least 3-5 chunks of it at a time and you can be VERY sure, I only swallowed the sugar and NOT the gum!  I don’t chew any kind of gum now.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 March 2012 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

Looks like I’ll have to stop that habit.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 06 March 2012 05:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 06 March 2012 05:45 AM

Looks like I’ll have to stop that habit.

*pressing the ‘like’ button*

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 March 2012 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-10-06

Its a myth that chewing gum stays in the body for years. Not sure, to be honest, why the myth grew up, but myth it is.

Because it’s largely a gum base, the body can’t digest it, but it doesn’t magically “stick” on your insides. It’ll come out the same way anything else does. It won’t be very different when it comes out than it was when it went in, but it’ll come out nonetheless.

Swallow away.

Signature 

When people ask “How are you?”, I usually reply “Reasonably confident of survival in the medium term”. They tend not to delve deeper.

Posted: 08 March 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5509
Joined  2007-03-14
AndyB - 07 March 2012 11:12 AM

Its a myth that chewing gum stays in the body for years. Not sure, to be honest, why the myth grew up, but myth it is.

Because it’s largely a gum base, the body can’t digest it, but it doesn’t magically “stick” on your insides. It’ll come out the same way anything else does. It won’t be very different when it comes out than it was when it went in, but it’ll come out nonetheless.

Swallow away.

Sounds kinda like corn.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website