So who’s on a diet?
Posted: 28 February 2012 05:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I’m on a low gi diet. I bought the kindle version of “The GI Diet” by Rick Gallop.

Except the other day I started stuffing my face with fish and chips and later I had an upsized meal at McDonalds. Starting back at university this week did that to me. I’ve been a good boy today though.

So what diet’s are other people here following?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Eh..I *try* to eat healthy… it doesn’t always work.

See, I had my gall bladder pulled awhile back. This has the downside that your body can’t digest fats so well. So your body craves them, as well as carbs, to turn into fats. Add to it that I’m no onger at a job that has me standing all day (thank goodness)...

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

I’ve changed a few things in my diet, like cutting down on the amount of sugar I have in tea, and stopped having sweet pastries for breakfast (I have massive sweet tooth, which is finally deciding to settle down).  But I’m not actually following a diet plan as such.  Also trying to cut out the amount of junk food in general and munching on stuff when I’m bored.  I’ve found that it’s easier to do that if I don’t buy anything in the first place, then there’s no temptation.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Ick, I just had some donut holes and am sitting here being sick to my stomach..blech.

Like Robin I don’t have a gall bladder either so there are MANY things I can’t eat well (like donnut holes) because they won’t digest so they cause great pain or just being nauseated. 

I try to eat healthy (most of the time) donut holes aside…............

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 February 2012 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

Not really a diet as such.  I just cut back on the amount I eat, portion control.  I used to have a bad habit of eating way too much at every meal.  Didn’t matter what it was I was going to eat it.  Since I’ve cut back on the amount I eat and started exercising a bit more consistantly I’ve dropped about 17 lbs.  One upside to this is that I also cut back on carbs and sugars which were well on the way to putting me into a high risk area for diabetes.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 February 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I’m trying to make changes in my eating habits. At the moment I’m working on keeping myself properly hydrated, which I tend to be very bad at, eating my five-a-day and doing some exercise every day.

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 28 February 2012 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 28 February 2012 07:00 AM

Eh..I *try* to eat healthy… it doesn’t always work.

See, I had my gall bladder pulled awhile back. This has the downside that your body can’t digest fats so well. So your body craves them, as well as carbs, to turn into fats. Add to it that I’m no onger at a job that has me standing all day (thank goodness)...

Is there some medication you can take to help with that?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 28 February 2012 04:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Not really that necessary. I can manage some fats if I have a little something to get things going first - steak and potato is fine, assuming I eat the potato first. Also, my stomach overproduces acid to compensate - I get heartburn every so often.

Still though, there will be times when I will eat something, then require a trip to the restroom… NOW.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 February 2012 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Medication?  Not really.  As Robin says you can try rearranging stuff, but you stand the chance of extreme pain, throwing up, running to the bathroom.  I do take zantac because of the terrible heartburn from consuming things like too much sugar, oil, animal fat, too much red meat at one time.  These do depend on the individual though because often those who have had gallbladder problems also have other intestinal problems such as reflux (gerd).  However, the loss of the gallbladder for us is also a blessing.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=15984

When the gallbladder is removed, bile made by the liver can no longer be stored between meals. Instead, the bile flows directly into the intestine anytime the liver produces it. Thus, there still is bile in the intestine to mix with food and fat. It is true that there is not as much bile, but there is enough to allow the digestion and transfer of fat. People who have had their gallbladders removed do not need to limit the fat in their diet.

The only clear side effect of removal of the gallbladder is diarrhea. This occurs in about 10% of patients. The diarrhea occurs because of the change in the way bile is delivered to the intestine once the gallbladder has been removed. Bile and the way it is delivered to the intestine appears to control the speed with which food passes through the intestine. Removing the gallbladder speeds up the passage of food and thereby may cause the diarrhea. There may be other reasons why the change in delivery of bile causes diarrhea as well.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 28 February 2012 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Well I know “The GI Diet” is doing me good so I’ll stick to that until my doctor tells me otherwise.

Of course it’s not like I’ve tried that many diets so it’s good to see what the others are like. I won’t try any fad diets though.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!