1 of 3
Rick Santorum sucks “Facts” (= outrageous lies) about euthanasia in the Netherlands out of his thumbs
Posted: 18 February 2012 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

This is outrageous! American GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum, the guy that always plays the devout Christian card, is telling blatant lies here in this video about euthanasia in the Netherlands:

http://youtu.be/yn-eejMcmuA

EVERYTHING he claims here, is false!

(1) unlike he claims, there is no such thing as involuntary euthanasia in the Netherlands, let alone that “half of the cases” would be such. Laws on euthanasia are very strict here (see below) and euthanasia without consent of the patient does simply not happen as by law that would be murder. Let me repeat that: it simply does not happen and his claim for “half of the cases” being “involuntary” has no ground whatsoever in any facts. It is simply a lie;

(2) Euthanasia accounts for about 1-2% of deaths, not 10% as he claims. Out of 134235 deaths in our country (on a total pop. of 16.7 million living) in 2009 (source: Dutch Central Bureau for Statistics), 2500 were cases of euthanasia. In 2010 there were 3136 cases (source: Dutch Commission on Euthanasia)

(3) In all cases, it is done on the explicit request of the patient himself or herself, whom in all cases are already terminally ill, and it must abide by very strict rules (amongst others, the patient must be terminally ill and unbearably suffering, he or she must explicitly and repeatedly request it and be of sane mind while doing so, and at least two doctors have to approve after examining the case in question).

(4) each case of euthanasia in the Netherlands has to be reported to the authorities, and is investigated to see whether it complied to the law. It is not something done ligth-heartedly at all. Doctors who perform euthanasia will be prosecuted unless they can demonstrate that they observed the conditions. Cases that fail to comply the law (usually on technicalities) or were not properly reported, are prosecuted as murder: there were 9 such cases in 2010. Please note: none of these concerned people euthanized against their will. It concerned cases were the law was not strictly followed to the letter (e.g. where no second doctor was involved in the procedure).

(5) It is simply not true that the elderly in our country wear bracelets with “do not euthanize”. Again, that is completely made up, it has no ground in any facts whatsoever (see edit below - there is a small group of fundamentalist Christians carrying such declarations for purely political (anti-euthanasia) motives) and the image painted in this by Santorum is completely preposterous. Nobody in the Netherlands is euthanized unless it is their own explicit will;

(6) Likewise, the elderly do not go abroad for hospital visits “because they are afraid to be euthanized”. Again, that is completely made up, it too has no ground in any facts whatsoever;

So: do not believe this Santorum guy! He is hoaxing you with made-up “facts” here, telling lies about what happens in my country in order to further his personal political agenda. DO NOT VOTE FOR SUCH A LIAR. He will lie to you as well when he would be President.

And take his devout “Christianity” with a grain of salt. The Bible says “thou shall not bear false witness” in the 10 commandments, which is however exactly the thing our “devout Christian” is doing here. Hypocrit!

Summary of Dutch euthanasia law

EDIT 19/02/2012:  Last night, while still foaming in rage about this idiot, I realized what might be the source of his “bracelet” fable, and it would be hilarious were it not that the matter is too serious for that.

“Bracelets”: In one Dutch hospital, a test is being done where patients who have a history of multiple heartfailure etc. and who have been brought back by means of CPR multiple times, and have themselves indicated a wish that next time they do not want to be resuscitated, wear a bracelet with the text “DO NOT RESUSCITATE ME”. That is of course the absolute opposite message of what Santorum claims. Similar projects also run in the US.

“Do not euthanize me cards”: Also, one MoH member put me on the trail of the apparent source of a similar idea that “the elderly” carry cards with “do not euthanize me”. It turns out that the source of that is the NPV.

The NPV is a Dutch Christian Patient platform that operates from a strict Biblical view, and as such certainly not representative of the (largely secular) Dutch population. They oppose euthanasia and abortion, and for political reasons push this kind of declaration among their members, even if these declarations are complete nonsense as they play on fears that simply are unfounded (they might as well push carrying declarations of “Aliens, please do not anally probe me”. That would be about just as realistic with regard to the actual situation in the Netherlands).

I looked up the actual figures again: the NPV claims that 7000 of their members carry such a card. There are 2.5 million people older than 65 years in our country, so those 7000 (assuming they are all >65 years) translate to 0.3% of our elderly population and 0.04% of our general population. And again: the people carrying these cards do so out of a political motivation (they are Christians who oppose the legalization of euthanasia), not because they would otherwise be in real danger of being euthanized against their will. So this whole issue is a fundamentalist Christian set-up.

EDIT 26/02/12: video: MSNBC talkshow that points out how much these Santorum lies have offended the Dutch.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 February 2012 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

Hereby, I do solomny pledge, being Dutch, that I will not vote for him.

And further, LaMa is right in this.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

These issues come from right wing US politicians and commenters that usually also tout America as the epitomy of individual “freedom”. Yet on issues such as euthanasia and abortion, or same-sex marriage, that much touted individual freedom suddenly becomes moot.

I for one, am very happy that I live in a country where, were I to get terminally ill and suffer unbearably, I have the FREEDOM to choose for a death that is humane and dignified, rather than a death in extreme and cruel agony.

Signature 

———
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 19 February 2012 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-06

Also, we Dutch are getting fed-up with foreign politicians and political pundits making up this kind of nonsense about what supposedly happens in our country. O’Reilly pulled a few similar stunts for example. These guys know they are lying but don’t give a damn as long as it suits their political purpose.

Signature 

———

Posted: 19 February 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, it’s getting more and more difficult in our information age to claim that ‘well, over in *that* country, they eat babies’, because within five minutes someone will have the relevant informaiton in hand.

If only this would lead to politicians becoming more honest…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 19 February 2012 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 19 February 2012 11:28 AM

Yeah, it’s getting more and more difficult in our information age to claim that ‘well, over in *that* country, they eat babies’, because within five minutes someone will have the relevant informaiton in hand.

If only this would lead to politicians becoming more honest…

Instead it just means that their own claims get even more widely spread, and it gets increasingly difficult to find the actual truth amidst all of the noise.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 February 2012 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

Thanks for the info Lama… I already knew he was a dishonest psyco, but he does have a solid following (obviously).

Just one more reason for me not to vote for this sack of cr@p

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 23 February 2012 10:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

Kinda of an update, in the sence it goes a bit more into Santorum´s redicolous claims.  READ!!

And now for once and for all to all you foreigners: SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT US DUTCH!!!! ALL YOU CAN THINK OF IS TO GO THERE AND THINK THAT SMOKING JOINTS ALL OVER THE PLACE IS TOTALLY OK (WHICH ISN´T) AND THAT WEED IS OOOHHH SOOOO TOTAL LEGAL (IT ISN´T!) AND ALL OF YOU WHO THINK ALL OF AMSTERDAM IS A WHOREHOUSE (WHICH IT ISN´T). AND YOU ALL THINK WE KILL EVERYONE WHO IS A BIT SICK. WE DON´T!
SO PISS OFF AN LEAVE US ALONE!!

WE GET SICK AN TIRED OF ALL OF YOU WHO THINK HOW IT IS IN THE NETHERLANDS.

THE ONLY LEVEL YOU REACH IS THE “HEY SAY NO MORE HEY HEY KNOW WHAT I MEAN HUH HUH”

I´M A THOROUGH BREAD FULLBLOODED (AND THE COAT OF ARMS TO PROOVE IT) AMSTERDAMMER (YES BORN IN THAT FAMOUS RING OF CANALS IN A VERY OLD HOUSE WITH 12 FEET HIGH ANGELS ADORNED CEILINGS ETC ETC BLABLABLA) WITH ROOTS GOING BACK TO 1320 IN THAT CITY.
SO GO SOMEWERE ELSE FOR YOUR HOLIDAY.

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 23 February 2012 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

The time I´ve lost/wasted at parties or whatever explaining this kinda shit to foreigners.

“oooow your from Amsterdam, how great, you can freely smoke….”
euh WTF?? You can smoke and take your chances (just like everywere else) if you want, but if the cops spot you you´ll get fined and loose your dope. dumbass

“oooow your from Amsterdam, they are so tollerant”
*sigh* no dumbass we are totally not and I only don´t punch you in your “&·%”$ face because I´m to polite to spoil someone else his/her party.
*teethgrit*

“ooow your from Amsterdam! I love that city… I got so wasted there”
we don´t and did you see anything of the city?

etc etc

If you visit Amsterdam or whatever other city were ever in the world, remind yourself that you are in a city just like yours. And yes it might be a bit different, but don´t plunge in mediafed propagandist fed conclusions. And you can find willing affordable women and dope at home too.
Please.

Signature 

Trust me.

Posted: 23 February 2012 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

*patpats Unfairly, and gives a nice cookie*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 23 February 2012 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8446
Joined  2006-02-28

For those of you that didn’t go to Unfairly Balanced’s link… Santorum got the dreaded Four Pinocchios (basically his claims were “Whoppers”)

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 24 February 2012 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-27

That´s what made me “whopping mad”.

Anyways.

Nowadays, we Dutch, are a bit pre-occupied with the fate of Prince Johan Friso.
To the day, last week, he was skiing in Lech (Austria) and got hit by a avalanche.
Long story (look it up) short: today at 12 (Dutch Time) there was a press conference (at last) were the doctors explained what happenend.
- He was hit by avalanche.
- Under snow for 25 minutes without oxygen
- Chopper arrived after 25 minutes
- They got him out after 35
- Reanimation… which they kept up for 55 minutes, hoping the cold would prevent braindamage

So today the pressconference went like this:

“As soon as the helicopter crew arived they reanimated Prince Friso for 55 minutes, which, hindsighted might have been to long. After a week we have not found any response to stimulances. He is in a coma of sorts and we have no idea when and if he ever get out of it.”

Now go sit back and contemplate this.

And now contemplate our royal family…

Can you see the stupid headlines in papers like “The Sun” or the comments on Fox “news”.

They will go like:

“DUTCH ROYAL FAMILY FIGHTS EUTHANASIA LAWS IN THE NETHERLANDS!

or

“DUTCH ROYALS PULL THE PLUG!”

or

“ROYALS ARE NOT SAFE”

or

“NO ONE IS SAFE”

or

“PRINCE MIGHT WARE BRACELET”

or

“FRISO THE BANKER PUT DOWN! WHY?”  *

blablabla

*Friso is the second son of Queen Beatrix and in charge of the family money/investments etc. However he´ll never will have a chance of the throne since he married a “bad” girl called Mabel (google for yourself if you want some insight…)

[/prediction]

Signature 

Trust me.

1 of 3