Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
Mr R - 26 January 2012 02:34 AM

I’d rather stick with chicken thanks.

Hmmmm. Chicken.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 26 January 2012 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

I prefer tp avoid soy.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 26 January 2012 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Too much soy has shown to be problematic for some folks who use it instead of other foods losing vitamins and minerals they need.  At the same time, they overeat these and defeat the primary purpose. 

Peter, let me please make a suggestion because I know you want to lose weight and also help with GI tract problems and risks AND reduce cholesterol.  Try adding Psyllium fiber (such as in Metamucil and similar generic products) to your diet and take it before each meal with a full glass of water (you may want to mix it with orange juice and then follow with a glass of water). 

Using this fiber bulks up in the stomach and reduces appetite while at the same time cleansing the entire digestive tract.  It’s used by people who have difficulty in these three areas and who are at risk of colon problems. 
Metamucil information…which can be applied to other like-kind brands

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 26 January 2012 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 26 January 2012 12:02 PM

Too much soy has shown to be problematic for some folks who use it instead of other foods losing vitamins and minerals they need.  At the same time, they overeat these and defeat the primary purpose. 

Peter, let me please make a suggestion because I know you want to lose weight and also help with GI tract problems and risks AND reduce cholesterol.  Try adding Psyllium fiber (such as in Metamucil and similar generic products) to your diet and take it before each meal with a full glass of water (you may want to mix it with orange juice and then follow with a glass of water). 

Using this fiber bulks up in the stomach and reduces appetite while at the same time cleansing the entire digestive tract.  It’s used by people who have difficulty in these three areas and who are at risk of colon problems. 
Metamucil information…which can be applied to other like-kind brands

I’ve got Metamucil at home.

I’ll try not to eat too much soy. Is that the same as tofu? I think I’ll just have small amounts of tofu from now on anyway. I won’t be buying soy milk though. I’ve changed from low fat milk to skim milk.

I regularly see my doctor for checkups. Certainly if he tells me to watch my intake of vitamins and minerals I’ll do what he tells me to do. This diet I’m on supports including vegetables and fruits so hopefully that won’t be a problem. I did mention to my doctor that I’m following this diet and he approved of it so hopefully things will work out OK.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 26 January 2012 06:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Depends on the person. Some folks are more sensative to soy products (including tofu) than others. Mostly it’s how it’s prepared. Apparently it can break down nastily if you overcook it, but just cooking tofu shouldn’t be bad for you.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 28 January 2012 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14

Then again, you don’t necessarily have to switch to tofu to lose weight.  I’ve managed to drop over 13 lbs since the beginning of December.  I accomplished this mainly with exercise and eating a decent diet.  I found that portion control is just as important as what I eat.  I still eat pretty much the same stuff I used to but not as much as I used to so combined with the exercise where I’m burning up the calories I can finally see results.

Another thing that I’ve been doing is tracking the nutritional value of what I eat, there are several online sites that will help with this.  It’s actually quite surprising when you look at some of the stuff you chow down on every day.  The whole process has me looking at labels every time I go to the store now.  Can’t say as it bothers me to do that though when I think of the weight I’ve lost and how much closer to my goal I am.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 28 January 2012 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Agreed gray.  If you have a problem with ‘knowing’ portion sizes, use a much smaller plate (avoid a dinner sized plate completely) and eat foods you know you should.  Even without a new exercise routine you will lose weight. 

Of course there is something to be said of tofu when you realize you can’t stand it and it’s all you have to eat…............you’ll most likely also lose weight. 

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}