6 of 7
January 23 - Chinese New Year
Posted: 20 February 2012 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

I’ve never liked trails or well-traveled ‘woods’ because I prefer the isolation when I want to go walking about in forests (I don’t like signs or fences or bathrooms, or parking lots and I don’t want to be able to hear cars in the distance either) which has also caused me to get a little lost before.  It sounds like the idea behind this game is in areas where people are not in true wilderness but traveled areas especially if Oppie accidentally came across a cache?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

It is my understanding that most of them are in populated areas, though not necessarily well-travelled areas. Most are located two or three steps off the beaten path, as it were. A loose brick here, a utility monitoring space there, tucked behind a fencepost or in the bushes behind the playground.

Not that there aren’t any that are tucked away in the middle of nowhere, requiring three days hiking and a decent sherpa to reach, but most are designed for a quick search rather than a long one.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 20 February 2012 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Had a fun time yesterday - My father and stepmother came by town to visit. It’s been some time since my dad was in town, and while his memory is still sharp, he likes to make sure it’s still got all the neurons firing, so we had a nice tour, with me pointing out various things that had changed over the decades, things that were new and old, etc. The stepmother has been to town many times, but has never really *visited*, so a nice bonding experience all around. Put me in a lovely mood, to say the least.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 20 February 2012 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Had a fun time yesterday - My father and stepmother came by town to visit. It’s been some time since my dad was in town, and while his memory is still sharp, he likes to make sure it’s still got all the neurons firing, so we had a nice tour, with me pointing out various things that had changed over the decades, things that were new and old, etc. The stepmother has been to town many times, but has never really *visited*, so a nice bonding experience all around. Put me in a lovely mood, to say the least.

So you have some pretty mixed feelings about your stepmother it seems.  Fairly normal though from both sides.  I know from experience.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 February 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually no, I like her a lot. She’s warm, and genuinely caring. Only problem being that I don’t know her that well, but she’s a lovely lady. Helluva cook, too. When her and my dad are conspiring together in the kitchen, amazing holiday dinners ensue.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2012 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Would you do me a favor then?  Call her ‘my’ stepmother and not ‘the’ stepmother.  Let her belong to you as a person, not an inanimate object.  I have a problem with the ‘the’ thing personally being ‘the’ stepmother, or ‘the’ biological mother (I am both).  My own ‘biological’ grandchildren (my daughter’s) do not call me ‘grandma’ because they don’t know that’s who I am and only see me once in a while on Skype…..yet those adopted by my son and only related by marriage surely do call me ‘Grandma’ and visit with hugs and kisses.  Life can be painful enough without being referenced as ‘the’.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2012 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

. . . I’ll just refer to them both as ‘Generic Parental Units A and B’ from now on.

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2012 06:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I approve!

Signature 

Posted: 20 February 2012 08:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5510
Joined  2007-03-14
hulitoons - 20 February 2012 05:33 AM

I’ve never liked trails or well-traveled ‘woods’ because I prefer the isolation when I want to go walking about in forests (I don’t like signs or fences or bathrooms, or parking lots and I don’t want to be able to hear cars in the distance either) which has also caused me to get a little lost before.  It sounds like the idea behind this game is in areas where people are not in true wilderness but traveled areas especially if Oppie accidentally came across a cache?

There is an element of truth to what you say Huli.  It’s a game that is played to the extent you want to play it.  There are caches however that are in areas that are extremely isolated and difficult to access, like the areas you prefer.  I have one that I planted beside a lake in the mountains that is a 4 hour hike in with an elevation change of over 3500 ft.  It’s been visited less than 10 times since 2003 and the lake itself gets fewer than 100 people a year visiting it.  Many people, like myself, prefer the caches like that where they are out and away from civilization.  A lot of people prefer just being able to drive up, walk for 5 mintues, and find the cache.  It’s very much an individual thing depending on how you want to play it.  I’m betting that there are a lot of caches in areas not far from you that you would like because they are out in the woods, off the trails and away from civilzation.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 22 February 2012 11:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9078
Joined  2008-03-02

Well, Dave and I have a new grandson! grin  Our “informally adopted” daughter, Tiffany, and her husband, Chris, told me just after midnight this morning that she was in labor, and Chris called me at 2 a.m. to tell me that Colton James had been born at 1:31 a.m. via emergency C-section.  Tiff’s doing fine, and so is Colton health-wise, but he really doesn’t want to eat, which has everyone pretty worried.  He’s awfully cute, though—he’s not all red and wrinkly like most babies (due to the C-section, I know), and very tiny (6 lbs. 7 oz., and 19.5” long).  I got to hold him for a few minutes tonight, but not for very long since he’s still in the NICU.  Tiff’s very sore, which is to be expected, and she said she’ll get to come home late Saturday or early Sunday.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 23 February 2012 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Yay! Congratulations. smile

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

6 of 7