{/paginate}
Filipino Hoaxes
Posted: 15 January 2012 07:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Hey guys, it’s been a while.

I’ve been busy doing a lot of stuff and I’ve done my part in troll bashing on other websites. This isn’t the off-topic chitchat page, so I’ll make it brief:

There’s a big filipino myth I wanted to bash and see if it could make the webpage.
http://definitelyfilipino.com/blog/2011/08/06/filipino-inventors-the-harsh-reality/

Filipinos love to believe that our race is the best race (I can’t be racist to myself, can I?) and one of these sources of excess pride is this. Filipino “Inventors.” I won’t say who wrote this, since he wants to remain anonymous, but he’s a good friend of mine and I helped with the research. Filipinos believe in the myth that many of the foreign inventions are made BY filipinos. Example? The m16, colloquially known here as the Armalite, is made by “Armando Lite.” Hence the name.

This is mostly perpetuated by the schools and by many wikis (mostly filipino.) and I think it’s shameful to believe in such delusions. I’ve scoured the web, and some books, but they all lead to the same thing; text messages and urban myths. There are a lot more frauds here in the Pinas, but I can only supply this link right now. It’s a nice hoax that deserves attention since it has a LOT of Filipinos believing in it.

Thing is, people aren’t so nice when they see something they don’t like. If there are any other filipinos browsing this thread, I hope you become open-minded about this; I’ve been heckled and denounced as a fraud whenever I present my evidence, and really, there is no evidence supporting them.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 15 January 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

It’s nice to see you posting again. Come back more often .

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 15 January 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Many nations will cheerfully claim provenance on inventing various things. Communist regimes seem especially prone to this sort of thing, but it’s hardly exclusive.

In America, we just *assume* we invented everything…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 15 January 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-10-01
Robin Bobcat - 15 January 2012 03:20 PM

Many nations will cheerfully claim provenance on inventing various things. Communist regimes seem especially prone to this sort of thing, but it’s hardly exclusive.

In America, we just *assume* we invented everything…

In your defence, Americans did invent quite a lot of things in a short timespan.

In Brazil, we (well, not me) believe that a Brazilian invented the airplane. A common explanation is that the Wright brothers stole the idea and rushed to the patent office.

Posted: 16 January 2012 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

That Dr. Fe Del Mundo seems like a Filipino to be proud of.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 January 2012 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

A common quote:  “Necessity is the mother of invention” should lead everyone to understand some very simple supposed ancient ‘inventions’ that occurred in various tribes, countries, etc. that had absolutely no contact or knowledge of each other:

Foot coverings
Clothing
tools from bone, stone etc.
tools used for fishing, cultivating etc.

If you acknowledge that historically we do understand that even as humanoids were developing, they found ways to be creative when a need arose even when they were totally unaware there were others like themselves.

Very often we also recognize an odd thing that happens in movies when two or more different groups produce the same kind of subject matter in a movie script.  None were actually aware of the ideas (necessarily) of the others doing similar things so we can almost call this coincidence yet over a period of years we see that coincidence occurring again and again.  A recent example are a couple TV series:  Once Upon a Time, Grimm, and I’m sure you can recall a few others that seem to fall into the same genre in movies like Red, series such as Tin Man etc. 

It is very possible that some of the inventions being claimed by others are not so much that anyone stole an idea, or was faster to the patent office, but because a need was there and different individuals, unknown to each other, developed similar ideas.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}