1 of 2
{/paginate}
men more clever than women
Posted: 25 August 2005 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1749346,00.html

HALF the population will dismiss this story, but a study claims that the cleverest people are much more likely to be men than women

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Funny…..he is really trying to save his butt talking about the findings….....he was uncomfortable with the findings…and this and that…..........you know he is really loving it…....

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

Genetic differences in intelligence between the sexes helped to explain why many more men than women became chess grandmasters

maybe women just have better things to do with their time…

I dont think women are necciserally smarter than men, but this is only one study, and in the control group the men are smarter, but you cant apply that to the rest of the world. well, maybe you can, but ya know, you said half the world would disagree with it!

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

I dont know that you can assume he “is loving it”. Some people (me included) do believe in equality for all…whether you be man/woman/black/white etc.

I, for one, dont put much stock into IQ tests, they really dont accurately gauge a persons intelligence. As far as I can see, IQ scores were the only factor in this study.

I did get a big laugh from the following quote in the article buba linked to

“He said that men had been reduced to little more than sperm-donors because of the female dominance of society”

LOL  hey, that cant be all bad, they feed and house us, we simply “donate some sperm” periodically…sign me up!!! wink

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-11

chuck, you’re right about the IQ tests, just because your general knowledgeisn’t up to speed doesnt mean that you’re stupid. For instance, there would be little point asking a mechanic about floristry, or vice versa.

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

thunder, you may be talking about the difference between knowledge and intelligence.

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-01-11

yeah, i think you’re right lol.

Signature 

Posted: 25 August 2005 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

I actually read an article about Intelligence between men and women awhile ago on the BBC.  Basically it stated that men are more varied in intelligence than women.  In other words, men tend to have low or high intelligence more often and women tend to be more average.  The reasoning was because they believe that some genes on the X chromosome affect intelligence, either negatively or positively.  Since men have only one X chromosome, if they get out-of-average genes then they will have a higher or lower intelligence because of it.  On the other hand, women have two X’s and they tend to average out.  They need two high or two low to fall outside of average.

Because of this duplication, women also tend to be protected from faulty genes more then men, which is the main thrust of the article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4355355.stm

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 25 August 2005 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Your so smart….........must be that 1 X chromosome working….

Posted: 25 August 2005 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I thought it was already decided that tests like this couldn’t produce an accurate outcome on various levels. 

I also think that men are able to improve their positions (job, education) over a longer period of time than women.  Men don’t have 9 months taken away from them to give birth to a child.  You can’t take a midterm, or show up for a job interview when your contractions are 5 minutes apart.  For all we know, the smartest person on the entire planet is up to their elbows in maccaroni necklaces, carpooling, and play dates.  She’s not working, she’s not in school - there would be no way for a scientist to know she exists.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 August 2005 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

In my personal opinion, there are more intelligent men then there are women, but I would think this is more because of cultural pressure than genetics—men are more incouraged to be smart, talented and clever, while it seems more ok for a woman to just be a nice piece of flesh.  I think, however, that it’s fully possible for memebers of both sexes to achieve great things mentally.

Also, Maegan, women don’t have to make babies if they don’t want to, and any smart woman would know that they won’t be able to devote as much time to their careers (be they academic or not) if they have a child.  But if she really is the world’s smartest woman, then she’ll be raising smart kids who should give her credit when they grow up.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 26 August 2005 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

Well… I may not know which sex is smarter…

smirk

But I definately know which sex is prettier, sexier, better looking -smelling -acting…

cheese

And for that I don’t care if men are more intelligent…

Women still RULE!!!

wink

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}