Choppergate scandal
Posted: 25 August 2011 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

National Nine News in Australia was caught faking a “helicopter report”. Story here.

The News on the TV said they were doing a live cross to journalists flying in a helicopter when the helicopter was actually still on the helipad and had it’s rotors going.

Channel 9 sacks three, news director resigns over ‘Choppergate’ scandal

THE director of news at Channel 9 in Brisbane has resigned and two journalists and a producer have been sacked in the wake of the Choppergate scandal.

I didn’t know if I should put this in “News” or “Hoaxes”. It’s a news story but it’s about a hoax.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 August 2011 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t get it.  They lied about being airborne near the scene, but why bother?  It was night and they could hardly have been expected to see anything at the site anyway, so why not just stand next to the helicopter instead?  Also, while they did lie about it, who really cares?  It hardly seems like the kind of thing four people need to lose their jobs over.  It seems more like a bit of hysteria than a real scandal.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Charybdis - 25 August 2011 01:04 PM

I don’t get it.  They lied about being airborne near the scene, but why bother?  It was night and they could hardly have been expected to see anything at the site anyway, so why not just stand next to the helicopter instead?

To appear more “on the scene” and reportery, I’d imagine.

Also, while they did lie about it, who really cares?  It hardly seems like the kind of thing four people need to lose their jobs over.  It seems more like a bit of hysteria than a real scandal.

Well, they did violate journalistic ethical standards.  Sort of like saying that they interviewed somebody when instead they just wrote up some rumours they heard.  I can see why they would lose their jobs, or at least not be allowed to be reporters for a good long while.  I’m not so sure why the director guy resigned, though, unless he actually knew what was going on and let them do it.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 August 2011 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I suppose it does show the issue of news being entertainment and all about ratings as opposed to news being purely a public service. I admit I prefer to watch the news on the non-commerical station here, i.e. the ABC (in Melbourne Australia) and sometimes the SBS when I have my TV going.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.