1 of 2
Facebook/Google+ etc
Posted: 11 August 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

What do people think about Facebook/Google+ etc? I’ve been a member of Facebook for a while but I want to give Google+ a try.

With Google+ I don’t know if I can keep a straight face while putting more people into circles.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 11 August 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

I’ve been booking face for about a month now.. I’m a little uneased by its severely open architecture - there are things I do not want my family members knowing about, and frankly, I’d like to forget most of the folks from high school if possible. I don’t mind being bombarded by minutae of other people’s lives, but when I wish to share information, I’d rather like for it to be only to a select group.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 11 August 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 11 August 2011 02:20 PM

I’ve been booking face for about a month now.. I’m a little uneased by its severely open architecture - there are things I do not want my family members knowing about, and frankly, I’d like to forget most of the folks from high school if possible. I don’t mind being bombarded by minutae of other people’s lives, but when I wish to share information, I’d rather like for it to be only to a select group.

I see what you mean. I have my profile set to private but everybody I’m friends with sees everything. Not that I’ve minded too much so far but it would be good to be able to be more selective in who I share things with.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 11 August 2011 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5511
Joined  2007-03-14

I just put in the absolute minimum of info necessary.  I figure if people don’t know me they will ask if they want to know.  I also turned off sharing for just about everything.  That’s probably the best way to protect yourself there.  I believe you can also block select people but I’m not sure how that works and if it’s a blanket block or how selective it may be.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 11 August 2011 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

While I’m on Facebook I almost never use it.  I feel overwhelmed by that amount of sharing and contact with everyone, not to mention how boring four pages of Facebook game updates a day can be.

As for Google+ I’ve barely goofed around with it.  I have three people in circles, but I have no real idea how the circles relate to anything.  And if you’re worried about privacy concerns (and you should be) remember this - everything Facebook knows you or someone you know had to tell it.  Google+ knows everything about you already, as you see the instant you make an account.  If you have a Gmail account it’s completely tied into G+.  Nothing is hidden from the Google.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 11 August 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16
Charybdis - 11 August 2011 06:11 PM

While I’m on Facebook I almost never use it.

Same. I check Facebook almost each day. I read the most recent updates from friends. But I rarely post or do other things there.

I feel overwhelmed by that amount of sharing and contact with everyone, not to mention how boring four pages of Facebook game updates a day can be.

You can block those game updates. Click the x to the right to delete. It should come up with an option to block all updates from that app/game. I don’t play games on Facebook (though I do have a couple on my iPad that are link ed somehow to Facebook, though I’ve never seen them posted on my wall) so freely block everything I see regarding a game.

As for Google+ I’ve barely goofed around with it.

I haven’t even done a thing with G+. Is it even open now? Last I knew it was still closed to select individuals. Haven’t bothered to check on it since then. Figured I’d either get invited or find out it was open eventually.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 11 August 2011 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Tah - 11 August 2011 09:14 PM

I haven’t even done a thing with G+. Is it even open now? Last I knew it was still closed to select individuals. Haven’t bothered to check on it since then. Figured I’d either get invited or find out it was open eventually.

I don’t know if I’m able to give out invites for Google+ as I’ve only just started play around with it. As for what Google+ is like I’ll have to share my thoughts after used it for a bit. I just hope Google shows some respect for the user’s right to privacy, unlike Facebook.

Myspace is something I’ve never used.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 11 August 2011 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

I have a myspace membership that I haven’t effectively used now for a few years.  I’ve had a facebook account for about 6 years and some days I look but other days just barely.  I don’t play games on FB though and was annoyed when I first say newsfeed with all the ones others were playing etc. so I just removed and blocked them. 

Google+.................well I think you can get overwhelmed or over-flooded by social networking so I prefer to basically use a couple accounts at a time that being here and FB mostly.  I haven’t (and I’m retired) the time to just stay online or at my computer (even while my computers stay open) for hours at a time just chatting.  I use my computers for other constructive needs as well. 

Right now my son and daughter-in-law want me to get a cell phone that will allow more socializing with them.  That will be my next step into furthering a circle and a big one because I loathe telephones but then, afterall, cell phones can do a WHOLE lot more than just talking audio now!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 13 August 2011 12:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Just received an invite to Google+. Still fresh in using it. Like less than five minutes on there fresh. If you’re on it an want to add me feel free. (Same name as on Facebook, natch.)

If anyone is interested in joining Google+ I apparently have 150 invites. Just let me know your email (through PM or my email if you have it) and I’ll be happy to send one your way.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 13 August 2011 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9365
Joined  2005-01-23

Honestly, until the majority of my friends use Google+ instead of FB I probably won’t bother getting an account. I started a Twitter account about six months ago because I’d finally been sold on the pros but I’ve been on there about five times since. Same as Huli, I just don’t want to be overwhelmed by social networking.

Signature 

The Middleman: (drinking milk) You know, that was some darn fine cow squirt.

Posted: 13 August 2011 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Well, I’ll give it a whirl…I guess it’ll take a bit of time before it’ll rival/surpass Facebook.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 14 August 2011 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve discovered I’ve got 150 invites I can send out. If I send them all to Accipiter will he become a multi headed dragon?

Or maybe a multi headed drag queen?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

1 of 2