2 of 2
HIGH cholesterol, but statins may kill me ........suggestions
Posted: 18 July 2011 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
Robin Bobcat - 18 July 2011 11:53 AM

Definatly ask about a niacin regimen. And yes, the no-flush niacin isn’t QUITE as awesome. It’s still very good, though.. Now, if you’ve never had a reaction, then hey, no worries, get the leaded stuff.

Did you say “get the leaded stuff”? That wouldn’t actually have lead in it would it? I must be misunderstanding something.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 18 July 2011 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Oh, I should also point out other things that are good for controlling cholesterol: High fiber and moderate exercise. May wanna switch to whole grain bread for your peanut butter, and if you’re not already going on some nice walks and such, get out and see the local park.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 July 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Yep already do all that Robin.  I’ve known I had a problem so all that started a long time ago.  I did also try red rice yeast and had the same reaction as statins so I looked that up and found that it has the same active ingredient statins have.  Niacin has something that is the same too and can trigger a heart attack so I will not experiment further on my own.  My doctor also wants to consult with the internist that comes to her office each week.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 July 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9078
Joined  2008-03-02

Peter, I’m pretty sure Robin was saying to just get the regular kind, as opposed to the non-flush kind.  Kind of like calling decaffeinated coffee “unleaded.” smile

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 19 July 2011 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

The flush isn’t dangerous, but if you don’t know what to expect it can kind of scare you.  You eventually stop experiencing it after days/weeks depending on your body and how much you take and build up to.  Dermatologists suggest it to patients because it increases blood flow to the skin and keeps it youthful and healthy. 

I believe the time release and no flush are the same thing.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 19 July 2011 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Since I keep having adverse effects and not just nuisance side effects I will wait to see what my doctor recommends. 

This list pulls up some of the conditions she didn’t like with the statins and niacin in its various forms has them too, one being difficulty breathing:  http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b3-000335.htm  Some of these can be reduced by taking aspirin before taking niacin BUT, I can’t take aspirin. 

So you can see why experimenting on my own is dangerous.  I already did that with the red rice yeast and when I report that I’ll not be making my doctor happy at all.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 July 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Crafty Dragon - 18 July 2011 09:43 PM

Peter, I’m pretty sure Robin was saying to just get the regular kind, as opposed to the non-flush kind.  Kind of like calling decaffeinated coffee “unleaded.” smile

Oh. I see now.

Thanks for explaining that.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 20 July 2011 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 19 July 2011 10:20 PM

Since I keep having adverse effects and not just nuisance side effects I will wait to see what my doctor recommends. 

This list pulls up some of the conditions she didn’t like with the statins and niacin in its various forms has them too, one being difficulty breathing:  http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b3-000335.htm  Some of these can be reduced by taking aspirin before taking niacin BUT, I can’t take aspirin. 

So you can see why experimenting on my own is dangerous.  I already did that with the red rice yeast and when I report that I’ll not be making my doctor happy at all.

When will you be getting the next test done for your cholesterol reading? I hope it gives a better reading for you next time.

Have you read any more information about green tea? I don’t know how well that works. As it happens I bought some green tea recently in a box of tea bags and I haven’t tried them yet.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 20 July 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter it may be awhile until she wants that done again.  She was going to do it in a few months if I was able to take the teeny bit of statin.  My numbers have always been significantly high for well over 40 years and green tea will only make a negligible difference if any.  I have, without any ill effects, increased my dosages of krill to three capsules (total of 900 mg) daily along with flaxseed capsule.  That has produced a happy effect on pain by decreasing it noticeably. 

I will keep you informed though.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2011 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

With the green tea is it healthier if you have it as loose leaf tea rather than in tea bags?

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

2 of 2