1 of 2
HIGH cholesterol, but statins may kill me ........suggestions
Posted: 16 July 2011 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

As part of my physical yesterday the doctor met with me to discuss my blood work yesterday. Since my 20s my cholesterol has been VERY high, BUT, the doctor is afraid for me to take statins because I have not side effects but adverse/deadly effects and those effects for me could be exactly that…............deadly and very quickly.

I asked if maybe taking a very low dose or cutting the pill in half might help. She gave me some crestor samples to cut in half and said I may have to cut those in half again. The problem is that then they may be of no real value. I take a lot of Omegas incluing krill and flaxseed. My own eating habits she said is even more strict than what they suggest, I exercise, do not smoke, don’t drink etc. She said my counts are genetic and have nothing to do with my lifestyle. I picked up red rice yeast today to help….........anyone else have any suggestions.

The sample crestor she gave me are only 5mg so after I cut them in half only 2.5mg…...............

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 July 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Google “Niacin”.  It’s a B vitamin that naturally reduces cholesterol, triglicerides, and has other beneficial health benefits.  It is also an ingredient in the prescription only medication Niaspan.

You will want to make sure you get the flush free kind.  You can get it at any drug store.

Niacin Information

Bob couldn’t (wouldn’t?) tolerate his cholesterol RX, and it was high.  He started taking OTC Niacin and it went to normal.  So of course, he stopped.  His most recent blood work showed it was high again, so I guess I’m going to have to start putting it in a piece of cheese and giving it to him that way like I give the doggie’s their medicine.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 16 July 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Bebe I will look for the flush-free then. 

Unhappily, I took the new stuff at low dose and the problems happened again even at such a low dose.  Erik was terrified but not as terrified as me…..........we were going to head to the hospital but then he got me outside moving and drinking a LOT of water to flush it out and finally I went to sleep.  My doctor was afraid of all this and she was right and I will NOT NOT NOT try this again!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 16 July 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

My doctor told me to take fish oil capsules to help with my high cholesterol. I’m also buying spreads like Logicol as well as one other brand I can’t remember right now.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 July 2011 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, I already take fish, krill and flaxseed oils every day, enough that if I get a cut or even a scratch I really bleed….which is what they’re supposed to do.  None of these lower cholesterol; they make your blood ‘slippery’ which keeps it moving even IF there is any buildup.  Eating salmon, tuna and tapia of course do the same. 

My cholesterol numbers are and have always been through the roof, but not because of what I eat….it’s genetic from my Dad.  My mother’s counts were always naturally low.  However, unlike my Dad, there are just so many medications/drugs I can’t take or use at all, and that part is like my Mom.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I tried doing a search on cholesterol at http://www.csiro.au/ and one article says green tea helps to reduce it. You might want to do a search on that web site and check out the list of links.

CSIRO is described as per the following quote

About CSIRO

The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation is Australia’s national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 July 2011 08:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Thank you Peter, I have it up and have already looked at the green tea and a couple other of those links. 

I do know enough about cholesterol because mine has been known to be so high over the past 40 years which is a significant length of time to actually be aware.  I also know that unless people are actually eating a diet high in those fats which flow through the gut and then reach the bloodstream, all of us make specific levels of cholesterol that are unique to our own individual bodies.  When food for example is removed, as in the case of starvation, your body will try to raise its cholesterol back up to the level it believes it needs (whether or not you are even eating). 

My own levels have remained steady at 80 pounds to 160 (which is pretty close to my highest known weight).  So, medications that work in the gut won’t work for me since my diet is and has been very restrictive for years simply because I can’t eat red meats (once every few months I may eat a hamburger), butter, most dairy etc.  I do not eat sausage, bacon etc. and have only about 2 eggs a week. 

The green tea interests me because it works, as the article says, in the liver so I am definitely going to try it!  Also, Bebe, I am going to look at that Niacin too!!!

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

I read somewhere else that cutting down on sugar helps but with medical related issues I prefer to be careful which web sites I quote. That’s why I tend to look at government and other official web sites when it comes to health.

Let us know how the green tea works out.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 17 July 2011 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I don’t eat a lot of refined sugar anyway because it upsets my stomach.  There are foods though that will turn to glucose while digesting.  I am presently drinking green tea and I’m sure I’ll have to do that for a good period of time to see if blood work changes. 

I did discover, interestingly, that Niacin-rich foods provide the same influences as the capsules.  Fortunately one of the best is peanuts and in particular peanut butter.  Interestingly, most of my diet IS natural peanut butter which is a main source of protein and has been for me since I was a toddler.  I eat a LOT of it.  In fact, I am getting more niacin than is required…..........in this, in poultry and in some of my other favorite foods…..................yet my counts are still high.

Signature 

Posted: 17 July 2011 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually, what you want is to replace ‘bad’ cholesterol with ‘good’ cholesterol, and that’s where fish REALLY comes in handy. Replacing the protein in your diet with canned tuna (in water) will help a lot. Sushi is awesome too, if you like it.

But yes, Niacin is actually VERY good for your cholesterol levels, almost as good as prescription-grade statins. It’s just that as mentioned, about a third of the people who take it experience flushing. If you’ve never had a niacin flush before, it’s functionally identical to a full-body sunburn for about an hour. Hot, red, sensative skin… Niacin can also promote alertness, so take it in the morning.

You basically have to take more niacin than you’d get naturally. Ask the doctor about that, but you can safely take rather a lot of it. I was taking four 500mg tablets a day for a while.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Robin, I’d wondered how long the flushing would last so thank you for that information!  Bebe had also mentioned the no-flush too but when I researched, it seems to not be as effective as the other.  I looked at some at the drugstore and it’s a time-release so I am thinking flushing may occur throughout the day….and I’m assuming that I’d probably be one of those people who would have the really bad flush. 

I’m not going to experiment though, not with these anymore since my doctor wasn’t happy with me even trying to do the teeny statin trip again.  I will be seeing her again within this coming month to discuss alternatives.  I’m sure niacin will be one of them.

My good cholesterol shows a good number but it’s not high enough to overwhelm the other.

Signature 

Posted: 18 July 2011 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Definatly ask about a niacin regimen. And yes, the no-flush niacin isn’t QUITE as awesome. It’s still very good, though.. Now, if you’ve never had a reaction, then hey, no worries, get the leaded stuff.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

1 of 2