4 of 6
Time Differences.
Posted: 18 September 2006 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Don’t mention your wife, you’ll get him all excited..!

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 18 September 2006 05:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  56862
Joined  2005-02-10

*cough*
More on topic, please.

Signature 

2-15-15 9-19 1 19-16-15-18-11 7-15-4-4-5-19-19 15-6 13-9-7-8-20
Turnip Boris Yeltsin frog juggling doormat termite lizard

“Herbal medicine’s been around for thousands of years! Indeed it has. And then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became medicine. And the rest of it’s just a nice bowl of soup and some pot pourri.” - Dara O’Briain

Posted: 20 September 2006 07:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

red face Sorry!

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 06 October 2006 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-10-04

I’m in 4!!!

Posted: 07 October 2006 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Of course, you’d need another chart to distinguish which countries/zones use Daylight Savings Time.

Funny—I was just sharing a rant with an astronomer about the stupidity of Daylight Savings Time.

When I lived in Quito, we were the same as US’s Eastern Time except during Daylight Savings, in which case we matched up with Central (St. Louis, which is where I’m from).  Try explaining the utility of Daylight Savings to people in Quito (where you can almost use a thermometer as a clock, and the sun rises and sets at 6 am and 6 pm with, I believe, less than 10 minutes’ variation throughout the year)!

It’s like cutting off a foot of cloth from the top end of your blanket and sewing it on at the bottom during Summer, then cutting it off again and sewing it back on the top in Winter.  (I first heard that in Sam Levenson’s “In One Era and Out the Other”—if anyone knows who said it first, let me know.)

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 08 October 2006 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2004-11-08

Welcome, Jenn, to the MoH forum!  A new face is always welcome.  A caution, don’t post any more personal info than you have already in your Public Profile page.  Our members are pretty cool, but this is a totally public website.  Now, on topic, I was wandering through our local “Discovery Garden”, today, which is a really beautiful place, and came across a large sundial.  Specs were I estimate at 8ft high on the iron beam, an 8ft base, and 20ft diameter or so on the surrounding dial, formed from cement and marble slabs, with regular segments of hours set in stone around the face of the dial, including stars indicating nightime.  I figure, well this can’t be always accurate.  Then I saw the large display plaque posted to one side.  It has this really long explanation about how sun time (Earth rotation time, actually), does not equal your watch-time, which is set at exactly 24 hours per day.  In fact, it explained how on only 4 days of eash year, precisely at noon, would our wristwatches and clocks actually equal sun time.  It gave a really elaborate chart, along with a four-stage mathematical formula to make the shadow on the sundial equal the time on your watch.  Unfortunately, when I was there, it was totally clouded-over, and there was no shadow on the sundial.  So much for Archemides, or whoever.  Also, my wristwatch consistently gains one minute per month, for the past nine years, and thru 3 battery changes.  I reset it about every 6 months, but right now is running 4 mins fast, so screw the sundial thing.  Oh, and to be actually ‘on topic’, I’m in 4, and Pennsylvania, specifically, as if you didn’t already know.  Luv you guys.

Signature 

Squirrels stole my garden gnome.  Then they ate his nuts!

Posted: 01 November 2006 12:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1624
Joined  2006-05-20

Inscription frequently found on sundials:  “Vulnerant omnia, ultima necat. “

Signature 

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

—Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

[color=green]“That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way.”

Posted: 02 December 2006 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  154
Joined  2006-01-27
JoeDaJuggler - 01 November 2006 05:52 AM

Inscription frequently found on sundials:  “Vulnerant omnia, ultima necat. “

I wonder if death isn’t preferable to being wounded every time the big hand comes around…

Signature 

Whether I will grow up to be the hero of my own life, I do not know.

Posted: 08 May 2007 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2006-12-12

Hooray # 4!!!!

Signature 

You have selected Teh Monochrome as the computer’s default voice.

Posted: 12 June 2007 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3763
Joined  2007-06-07

I’m in:

4 1/3 the time when I’m at Home
1 1/3 the time when I’m in Redmond
3 1/3 the time when I’m in North Dakota or Calgary

Forget worry about others though, most of the time I’m trying to figure out which time zone I’m in!

Signature 

Today is the day you worried about yesterday, and all is well…Except that the well is dry, the toilet is overflowing and a flock of meese just pooped in your back yard…

Posted: 22 June 2007 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2343
Joined  2007-06-22

I am located in 4.
I wish, however, that I were in 5!

Signature 

“Suddenly, there was a terrible roar all around us, and the sky was full with what looked like huge bats, all swooping and screeching and diving around the car, and a voice was screaming: Holy Jesus, what are these goddamn animals?!”

4 of 6