2 of 4
{/paginate}
June 2nd - PT Barnum’s first circus tour of the US
Posted: 05 June 2011 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

After work last night I went to see Supertramp in concert down at the arena.  They were just as good as I remember when I first saw them in 1977.  Unfortunately it wasn’t the original lineup as Roger Hodgson was missing but you couldn’t really tell the difference in the music. 

It was funny walking into the arena though.  I would guess that the average age of the people attending the concert was somewhere between 45 and 50.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it.  And once inside they were every bit as loud as teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert.  I really wanted to record some of it on my phone but it had run out of juice at work.  ugh.  Still all in all I was quite happy that I went.  smile

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 06 June 2011 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

So anyway… today I helped save someone’s life.. and they’re probably going to hate me for it.

Anne, one of our neighbors, is an elderly woman. I’m not sure how old she is, but with near-crippling arthritis and osteoperosis, she shuffles about like she’s a hundred and fifty. Her health has been slowly failing her, and ever since the whole debacle with the train fence, she’s had a very hard time getting to the co-op to do her shopping (she refuses to shop at the mini-market just down the street, due to ‘brown people’ running it). She’s fallen a couple times, and generally is no longer able to take care of herself.

Thing is, she has that stubborn old-person pride, not wanting to ‘be a bother’, and generally giving up and waiting to die. She has resisted tooth and nail any sort of social workers, Meals on Wheels, and even friendly attempts at helping her out. Suicide by self-neglect, if you will.

Some time Friday, she fell and could not get up again.

Michelle, one of my housemates, is one of the few people she’ll tolerate having over for a visit, found her and was in a bit of a panic. Michelle isn’t very socially-adjusted herself, and was worried sick, but knew that Anne didn’t want help. I told her that there are times when the right thing to do isn’t necessarily what someone wants.

911 was called, and an anbulance whisked her away to the hospital, where presumably she is receiving the kind of care she hates. I’m hoping she makes it out of the hospital, perhaps with a few more years left, and is more willing to accept help in the future.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 06 June 2011 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Gray; So Jealous!!  Supertramp is one of my all time favorite bands! surprised

Robin, it sounds like you did the proper thing. Sometimes people get SO stubborn, that help must almost be forced upon them. (Esp. older folks, who may fear that getting Social Services involved will mean that they may end up in a nursing home.) gulp  shut eye

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 06 June 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I’m not feeling well. I’ve been headachey, dizzy and queasy since yesterday.  sick

I’m glad the Mousling had a nice long nap today, because I napped with him!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 06 June 2011 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Been out playing beside the nuclear reactor outflow pipe?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

There’s a tornado warning for my area again.  Yeesh.  They just recently finished fixing the arena that got torn up by last year’s tornado—it would not be good if it got hit again, especially since this time, there’s a concert going on. gulp  BUT—there is a really neat lightning show going on right now! grin  No thunder, at least none that I’m hearing, but almost constant lightning.

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8451
Joined  2006-02-28

*I*N*S*O*M*N*I*A* again downer

Signature 

Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans. - John Lennon
You can twist perceptions, reality won’t budge. - Rush

Posted: 07 June 2011 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

No word on how Anne is doing.. I asked the manager at the apartments if she’d heard anything, but apparently it’s not something the hospital’s easy about giving out.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 07 June 2011 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26368
Joined  2004-11-29

Ugh…where did this cold weather come from?  Can I send it back?

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 07 June 2011 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

No, Smerk, you can’t.  I don’t want it any more! raspberry

And I just had the funniest conversation with Isabel (my 4 year old granddaughter)...

Isabel: What are you doing, Grandma?
Me: Cleaning my room.
Isabel: How come?
Me: Because it needs to be cleaned.
Isabel: And if you don’t clean your room, you don’t get any Christmas presents.
Me: That wouldn’t be any fun. :(
Isabel: Yeah, it would be no fun to be on the naughty list!

LOL

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 07 June 2011 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

You mean that you aren’t already on the naughty list, Crafty?  Perhaps you can avoid the naughtier list!

wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

{paginate}
2 of 4
{/paginate}