1 of 2
Poll
Fat Comments Helpful or Hurtful??
The Doctor should give it to you straight. 11
The Doctor should sugar coat it. 1
I don’t think it helps at all, just don’t say anything. 0
Total Votes: 12
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Doctor Reprimanded for Calling Patient Fat.
Posted: 24 August 2005 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

This is ridiculous…..

Aug. 24, 2005— Dr. Terry Bennett believes in being honest with his patients, but one woman was so offended about the way he spoke to her about her weight, she filed a complaint with the state Board of Medicine.

View More… http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1063448&page=1

Posted: 24 August 2005 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Some people are just wusses.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 24 August 2005 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7682
Joined  2005-06-05

and some are fat wusses LOL

Signature 

FOLLANSBEE, WV; Having been alerted to the coming apocalypse at a recent church service, 6-year-old Julie Strand decided she needed to live for today and immediately stuck a peanut M & M up her left nostril.

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

i must be mistaken, i thought doctors were supposed to tell you what’s wrong with you, i thought that was their job… huh…

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

I can honestly see both sides on this issue but…

My husband is a big guy, and at one point a doctor actually said to him “You know, you’d be a good looking guy if you weren’t so fat”. I think there could have been a better way he could have put that, and surely something more motivational. I do think however, that Erik should have replied, “Doctor, are you hitting on me?” LOL

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-09
Winona - 24 August 2005 08:46 PM

I can honestly see both sides on this issue but…

My husband is a big guy, and at one point a doctor actually said to him “You know, you’d be a good looking guy if you weren’t so fat”. I think there could have been a better way he could have put that, and surely something more motivational. I do think however, that Erik should have replied, “Doctor, are you hitting on me?” LOL

Noni…...That is the same phrase that made me loose all my weight….and I appreciate it now.

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Heh. It didn’t work on him, but I do love him just the way he is, and if he decides to lose weight, that’s great too.

But, I think he was more bothered that it was such a personal remark than honestly found it helpful in any way. I’d rather the doctor had talked to him about the health risks and referred him to a nutritionist (which our new doctor has), than the way he did it.

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-09
Winona - 24 August 2005 09:15 PM

Heh. It didn’t work on him, but I do love him just the way he is, and if he decides to lose weight, that’s great too.

But, I think he was more bothered that it was such a personal remark than honestly found it helpful in any way. I’d rather the doctor had talked to him about the health risks and referred him to a nutritionist (which our new doctor has), than the way he did it.

Sorry, but that doesn’t work on everybody….but give me an idea from a third person view, like, you would be hot if you lost weight, I’d be all over it…..Now look at me now…They were right!!!!

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Too bad the swelled head didn’t go down. wink

(ducking)

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

If anything I wish doctors were even more active and critical. I’m not sad that I’m plump, but it would be nice if doctors would supply us with an easier way to eat right than that useless triangle.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 24 August 2005 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-16

Well, hopefully that’s what the nutritionist Erik’s seeing is for. To make more sense of things, and to actually give him a more realistic idea of what’s going on.

To be honest, the problem is less what we eat than the amount of exercise we get.

Posted: 25 August 2005 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

This link here has more information about what specifically the doctor had said to the lady…

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4882438/detail.html

and it’s obviously a case of “the truth hurts.” Clearly the doc’s comments didn’t cross the line over to non-professional, the lady just didn’t like being told to eat Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers. If I were anywhere near the area, I would sign the petition to support this guy because that lady needs a wake-up call! And if that “medical review board” bows to her pressure it will be ridiculous! It’s people like her, and people like this board cowering to her demands, that have made this place as absurd as it is today. Where else in the world can you go out and order a cup of “hot” coffee and then turn around and sue the business because YOU squeezed the cup between your legs while driving and burnt yourself??? Only in the good-ole stupid USA…

rolleyes

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

1 of 2