Ever thought of artificial gravity in space?
Posted: 02 May 2011 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Others have: Here.

Short of star Trek/Wars ‘magical’ thinking, the only known way to produce artificial gravity is through acceleration of the ship/station (only good so long as you want to keep speeding up/slowing down) and spinning the ship.  On the topic of how much spin/ size of ship/ etc, the above page links to a “Spin Calculator” online.  Enter the data, hit the ‘enter’ key, and see how big/fast you ship would have to spin or be.

I know, I know, pure geek stuff.  red face  (But still fun to think about sometimes!) cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

ah yes, the Project Rho Atomic Rocket site. Great stuff. Basically, rocket science for science fiction writers. Good for those who want a little ‘hard’ SF, or at least want their ‘medium-hard’ SF to be plausible.

‘Hard’ SF is writing that conforms totally to the known laws of physics and usually the technology of the time, as opposed to ‘Soft’ SF, which has faster-than-light drives, slower-than-light lasers, and little green men (some of whom are Jedi masters).

There’s a lot of things in there other than just the spin calculations. There’s writings and musings on future drives (NERVA, Orion, throwing-rocks-out-the-back), space combat (expensive and very, very nasty), and a host of other details folks might just forget, or worse, throw out numbers picked at random.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 05 May 2011 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

I’ve given thought over the course of more than a few years to the necessity of extreme spin being the only logical recourse and one which has problems of its own to human physiology.  And the idea of using magnetic boots is ludicrous.  In fact, for long term space visits I should think the ONLY way to safely remain healthy would be cryostasis HAHAHAHAHA!!!  What does surprise me and always has really is how rapidly bone loss occurs and that is significant.  I understood that under long-term weightless conditions the heart would suffer atrophy to such a point that regainikng any kind of gravity would bring about cardiac arrest within moments unless a LOT of cardio exercise was undertaken for at least several hours a day for a typical human.  I cannot imagine how a new born baby would survive at all. 

It is possible that in the very far future quantum physics will find a suitable method that currently cannot even be imagined.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 06 May 2011 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Actually, humans can do quite well in microgravity, but the problem comes about when you have to return to the gravity well. Bone desnity is lost pretty quickly without gravity, and the need for excercise is pretty much just that you won’t be able to walk with your muscles having been barely used in all that time.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?