6 of 6
Can anyone tell me why these dealers cannot or refuse to ship to .....UPDATE: It’s here!!!  And it’s bigger than I thought!!!
Posted: 09 May 2011 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
hulitoons - 06 May 2011 10:48 AM

Added note:  How come the U.S. uses 120 volt electricity, not 240 like the rest of the world?

Sure! Get me side-tracked on the ‘Straight Dope’ website again! mad  LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 09 May 2011 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21
hulitoons - 09 May 2011 04:45 PM

I don’t know anyone who sells or does work on mowers Peter.  However, if I am able to use it and not wind up in the hospital, then I think that probably qualifies.  The real test will be if I, being relatively short (well short enough that I’m not supposed to sit in the front seat of our car because if the airbag discharges I’ll probably be killed) can actually pick this up, move it around without it carrying me off, and can actually cut grass without injury. 

What I will do though I think is take pictures/videos.  That might help?

It might. wink

To be on the safe side, consulting an electrician (about the special 220v sockets) might be wise.  They may not know mowers, but they DO know wiring.  Just a thought. smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2011 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Dave you’re right and I’m pretty dense since my last employer IS an electrician HAHAHAHAHA!!!  Guess I can give him a call or send a message huh?

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 09 May 2011 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

It is my recollection that ALL modern household wiring in the US is capable of 240 volts. The three holes on the plugs are two ‘hot’ lines, and one ‘ground’. Most appliances use only one ‘hot’ line and the ground, but those that need a smidge more ‘oomph’ use the two hot lines. It’s a bit complicated, but it apparently works.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 09 May 2011 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

Exactly right, Robin.  The USA uses a single phase, single tap 220v system. The red or green are BOTH 110ac, with a neutral ground.  Most ‘normal’ appliances only need one side of the ‘phase’, but heavy draw items (like a dryer or stove) need both sides.  And there are several 220v sockets available for use. (That I personally know of, and I am NO electrician.) wink

Signature 

6 of 6