1 of 6
Can anyone tell me why these dealers cannot or refuse to ship to .....UPDATE: It’s here!!!  And it’s bigger than I thought!!!
Posted: 01 May 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

I finally found the perfect in between a tiny mower and weed wacker for Erik but it’s not only made in the U.K. but the dealers there refuse to ship beyond VERY specific borders including Scotland and Ireland let alone the United States.  Even sellers on Ebay U.K. and Amazon U.K. (the product won’t even display on other country Ebays or Amazons) have very narrow shipping venues.

So, I’ve sent messages to the main manufacturer/dealer http://www.flymo.co.uk/node631.aspx and to a couple of business product sellers on Ebay U.K.  I’m pretty sure I’ll become a nightmare-bitch if they don’t or won’t give a reasonable answer as to why they are so restrictive (they don’t even sell in Canada nor will they ship there).

Flymo Micro Lite 1000W electric hover

Here is a pretty good description and review page:  http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/7300019/reviews.htm

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 01 May 2011 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

A lot of it isn’t so much the fault of the dealers trying to export the product, but rather the fault of the importers.  Sometimes a product is perfectly legal where it’s made, but doesn’t meet some official standards in another place.  Sometimes it’s a case of the product infringes on the licenses of another manufacturer in the place where it would be imported.  And often it’s a case of protectionist tactics such as high tariffs and quotas and whatnot on imports making it too hard for the maker to ship stuff to other countries.

And sometimes the maker has some sort of an agreement with competitors to each have their own area of selling, to save a lot of hassle that would come from actively competing.

Or maybe the owner of the company was bitten by a stoat in North America, and so has vowed never to do business in the area.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 01 May 2011 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

... or the packaging doesn’t meet standards for labels in the country ...

... or the materials used are illegal for environmental or safety reasons ...

... or the shipper takes a steep loss on shipping if they have to use anything other than one specific shipping company, which doesn’t go there ...

... it looks to me that they’re simply a UK/Europe company, which means that shipping a mower overseas (rather than having a factory in the US) would be prohibitively expensive. They don’t have any dealers over here, so there’s nobody representing them, so they wouldn’t make any money at it, unless they charge you a buttload for the shipping.

If you don’t mind a buttload, have one of the UK contingent buy you one and ship it over?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 May 2011 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-17

As an aside to the shipping, doesn’t the UK have different electrical standards than the US? So to plug this in and run it is going to be a problem. Yeah, you can get a travel converter, but is that going to be sufficient for a long-term use of something this powerful? And without causing safety concerns?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 01 May 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23

What Tah said.

Also a lot of what Acci said too.

And probably even Robin.

In fact, I’m not sure why I’m bothering to post!

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 01 May 2011 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Ah. Here we go. They’re actually Swedish. Good luck there.

Still, we do live in an age of international commerce. They may yet open a branch in the US. Perhaps you should offer to do so?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Either that or have someone you know in the UK (cough cough The Scottish Girls cough cough) buy one and send it to you.

Side note:  When i was living in Spokane Washington around 1988, I rented a house that had a Flymo electric mower. No wheels.  The spinning blade produced a hovercraft effect.

It. Was. Awesome!!!!! cheese

The only mower i have ever used that was FUN.  You could mow any direction, no resistance.  The only downside was that it would only cut a couple of inches deep at a time, so you had to do the lawn several times to get it back down to ‘regulation’ length. (It rains nonstop in Spokane, so grass grows an inch a day or more, seems like.)  It was bright orange, but only weighed like fifteen pounds or so.  Awesomesauce! wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

And I found several on Ebay, and several say they will ship worldwide.  wink

(Though it does look like there will be a power supply issue.  Something to think about. I haven’t yet located a used one that used to be sold in the US and that used 120v ac, but I will keep looking…) smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

This pull down shows countries where they have distributors:  http://www.flymo.com/node623.aspx which includes South Africa and Australia.  On some sales sites including Ebay UK though, it appears that Ireland and Scotland are also excluded.  Because of those exclusions I do not think a convertor issue is the barrier.  Because of omissions within the Island of Britain itself, I am completely baffled and irritated. 

Amazon UK:  Focus DIY Storefront (one company on Amazon UK that sells these)—http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/seller/shipping.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&isCBA;=&orderID;=&asin;=&seller=A2CWK75YRI5PVX&isPopup;=

Delivery is available to all UK mainland addresses. Customers living in some remote rural areas should note some delivery services are either extended by 2 days or in some instances not available at all.

We regret that we are unable to deliver to Norther Ireland, Scottish islands, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Isle of Scilly, Jersey, Guernsey and BFPO addresses.

While it’s possible that reasons listed are accurate, I still like those good and reasonable conditions displayed.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 01 May 2011 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Dave you ROK!!!  I will contact this seller (I’ve already maked it) and will ask ALL these questions!!!  I ADORE YOU!!! 

See what you describe is why I want this machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2011 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-17

Huli, there’s a difference between the company having outlets and selling lawnmowers in other countries and having a seller that won’t ship to certain areas. The sellers in this case are basically franchises and set their own guidelines within the requirements of the company. Even then they’re not necessarily a franchise and probably more just a business that sells that brand. Where and if they ship is up to them. Amazon partners with these companies and if they want to ship or not ship is up to them individually. Neither Amazon nor Flymo would have anything to do with that.

You best bet is probably going to be to contact the Flymo directly (which I believe you already did?) and see if they have any suggestions for where you might get one in the U.S.

I would guess that they probably stopped selling them in the U.S. because of safety/litigation issues. I could certainly see how a hovering lawnmower, that can easily move in any direction with a slight push, could be dangerous to have around small children and (small) pets. And with as litigious as the U.S. is it’s probably a conscious decision for Flymo not to sell them here anymore. But that’s just wild speculation on my part.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 02 May 2011 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

It was the cord that I thought was a major hindrance/danger.  even though they did a good job of making sure it didn’t wrap around the handle, one still had to be pretty aware of where it was at all times.  (Why no, I wouldn’t have run it over several times one summer, why do you ask?)  blank stare  shut eye red face

Signature 

1 of 6