2 of 3
*Update* Tai Chi : a good exercise for the old or infirm?
Posted: 19 April 2011 02:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
Smerk - 19 April 2011 03:24 PM

Hey, if Acci wants me to practice marital arts, he knows where to find me…

daveprime - 19 April 2011 02:40 PM

One of the questions that comes to mind: How expensive is it?  Does one need any costumes/outfits or accessories?  Lessons?

Dave, I suggest you look round your area for classes.  Check local newspapers, phonebooks, and local community/recreation centres or gyms.  And whatever you do, don’t go for the Taoist style of tai chi, as it’s very hard on the body with stretching everything to the utmost limits.  Yang, Wu, Sun and Chen are the primary styles.

What are the differences in those three styles? (The only reason I ask is that you have DONE them, rather than just a dry description read off some website.)

Fees - From what I’ve seen in the way of fees here, it’s around $100-$150 for a ten-week course.

$10 a week? For two or three lessons?  That sounds more than reasonable! smile

Clothing - You shouldn’t need any special clothing - loose, comfortable clothing, and a pair of flat shoes with a bit (but not too much) grip on them (can definitely recommend something along the line of skate shoes).

Do you mean Tennis Shoes? (High tops, basketball shoes, sneakers)

Accessories - You may find it beneficial to pick up books/dvds/videos on tai chi (and again, you’d have to check what’s available locally), however studying from a book or dvd is probably better as a supplement to being taught by someone in real life.  The instructor can pick you up on all sorts of things that you might not necessarily realise if you’re self-learning.

Understood. Plus, getting out from my self imposed “cell” would probably do me good. (And make me put on fresh clothes and whatnot…) red face  LOL

And here’s a video of my grandmaster’s father doing tai chi.

AWESOME!!!  red face For some reason I read that as “my grandFATHER’. red face  LOL  Still pretty cool though! . wink  smile

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 19 April 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Dave, also look here:  http://www.yogability.org/

What is YogAbility

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 April 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

That “water aerobics” or whatever they call it is another possibility for you, Dave.  Perhaps along with yoga or tai-chi.  Not only does the water help support your body and reduce strain, but the added resistance of the water to your movements means that you can move around slowly yet get an even better workout than you would with quicker moves in the air.

daveprime - 19 April 2011 06:26 PM

And here’s a video of my grandmaster’s father doing tai chi.

AWESOME!!!  red face For some reason I read that as “my grandFATHER’. red face  LOL  Still pretty cool though! . wink  smile

There are also a few videos floating around (on her blog, I think) of Smerk herself flailing about and waving her sword around and shaking her backside, if you want to get more of an idea of her style of tai-chi.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 April 2011 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
 Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 April 2011 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah, the hardest part of starting any exercise program isn’t the exercise itself, it’s getting yourself into the habit of taking time to do the exercises without making lots of excuses.  If you can get into a regular schedule of doing even the most light and wimpy routine of exercise, then you’re off to a terrific start.  You’ll have the habit established, and then it’s just a matter of shaping the exercise to suit your needs.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 April 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

Thanks. smile

I have tried some water exercise, early on, but I ended up bed-ridden after the first couple of lessons. (And typically for longer than the time between classes.) red face  downer

I’ll check out the yoga stuff, though I must admit that I have a few mis-givings with most styles of “Eastern” meditation.  But that’s no big deal. (I already work with self-hypnosis and minor bio-feedback routines.)

As far as a ‘routine’, I really haven’t got much choice. It is either that or become Jabba the Hut’s distant cousin. Nobody wants to see that. hmmm  gulp

(And Acci, I thought you didn’t like us fellas here at the MoH watching Smerk ‘shaking her backside’.) raspberry LOL

Signature 

Posted: 19 April 2011 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
daveprime - 19 April 2011 11:14 PM

Thanks. smile

I have tried some water exercise, early on, but I ended up bed-ridden after the first couple of lessons. (And typically for longer than the time between classes.) red face  downer

Were you kicked by one of the ponies from the water polo class?

It sounds as though you might need to slowly ease into whatever you end up doing.  Start at the really basic stuff until your body gets used to bending that much.  Or watch for the youngest and most physically-able of the other guys in the class, befriend him, invite him home, drug him, and then transfer brains with him.

As far as a ‘routine’, I really haven’t got much choice. It is either that or become Jabba the Hut’s distant cousin. Nobody wants to see that. hmmm  gulp

Hey, he did pretty well for himself until he went and parked his flying ship thing directly over the big mouth in the desert.  Of course, you’ll be expected to eat live frogs.

(And Acci, I thought you didn’t like us fellas here at the MoH watching Smerk ‘shaking her backside’.) raspberry LOL

Respectfully watching I don’t mind.  Touching, on the other hand. . .well, she does have those swords, so you might end up with only that other hand remaining once she was done with you!  wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 April 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29
daveprime - 19 April 2011 06:26 PM
Smerk - 19 April 2011 03:24 PM
daveprime - 19 April 2011 02:40 PM

One of the questions that comes to mind: How expensive is it?  Does one need any costumes/outfits or accessories?  Lessons?

Dave, I suggest you look round your area for classes.  Check local newspapers, phonebooks, and local community/recreation centres or gyms.  And whatever you do, don’t go for the Taoist style of tai chi, as it’s very hard on the body with stretching everything to the utmost limits.  Yang, Wu, Sun and Chen are the primary styles.

What are the differences in those three styles? (The only reason I ask is that you have DONE them, rather than just a dry description read off some website.)

Actually, I’ve only done Authentic (there’s also a traditional version) Yang style.  I think that the differences between styles are just minor things with how the moves are done.  Some forms seem to concentrate on making “circles” with every move, constantly shifting your weight back and forth (which can end up being murder on the knees), and the speed at which it’s done.  I had a quick look online last night, and one site I found said that the Chen style varied speed all the way through, and I know that the Yang style keeps a constant speed all the way through.

Fees - From what I’ve seen in the way of fees here, it’s around $100-$150 for a ten-week course.

$10 a week? For two or three lessons?  That sounds more than reasonable! smile

Check locally - as I said, that’s what our Academy does, and it’s also a case that the one fee means you can attend as many classes during the week as you like over the ten weeks.  However, the ten week course only teaches you the first part of the full form (usually we teach the whole form over four terms of ten weeks - essentially a whole year, with holidays in between terms).

Clothing - You shouldn’t need any special clothing - loose, comfortable clothing, and a pair of flat shoes with a bit (but not too much) grip on them (can definitely recommend something along the line of skate shoes).

Do you mean Tennis Shoes? (High tops, basketball shoes, sneakers)

Yup, tennis shoes, basketball shoes…sneakers may be a bit too grippy - you want something that will slip when you want to do turns, but not slip when you want to be stationery.

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 22 April 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
daveprime - 19 April 2011 11:14 PM

Thanks. smile

I’ll check out the yoga stuff, though I must admit that I have a few mis-givings with most styles of “Eastern” meditation.  But that’s no big deal. (I already work with self-hypnosis and minor bio-feedback routines.)

First Dave, my yoga (in fact most that people use) is not based on meditation at all.  It’s exercise and stretching and breathing between particular moves.  Believe me, when you’re done you know you’ve had a workout.  Sorry, no meditation there at all.  I have two Rodney Yee DVDs this is the one I like in particular:  Power Yoga - Flexibility

Second, what happened during the water exercise that caused injury?

and I guess Third, you might be interested in resistance exercises.  I do these as well using elastic resistance bands which would cost you a grand total of about $5 for one.  resistance tubes 7 results at Target

Here is a video exercise routine using a single resistance band while sitting in a chair.  This is one you should be able to do Dave: 

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=720

Length: 20 minutes
  Equipment: A sturdy chair and a resistance band
  Type of Workout: Strength training (toning) & flexibility
  Muscles Worked: Most major muscle groups (chest, upper back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, abs, obliques, lower back, hips, quads, outer thighs, calves)
  Fitness Level: Beginner to intermediate; because you sit in a chair the entire time, this video may also be suitable for individuals with limited mobility (see Extra Tip below).
  Impact: Low-impact
  Safety Precautions: Warm up before starting this workout and wear athletic shoes.
  NEW! Track Your Workout: Scroll down to the bottom of this article and click the “Add to Fitness Tracker” button. (You must be logged in for this to work.)
  Extra Tip: This workout starts with upper body exercises, progresses to core (abs) exercises, and ends with lower body exercises, making it suitable for individuals with limited mobility and/or disabilities. A person who has limited use of her legs, for example, can complete the first (and possibly second) set of exercises, which focus on the upper body and core. You can fast forward to the sections of the video that apply to you.

Viewing Tips

You can pause or rewind the video at any time if you need a break or need to watch for closer instructions. We suggest watching the video one time through before attempting the workout.
  This workout will take you through one set (15 repetitions) of each exercise. If you want to do more sets, simply replay the video until you finish 2-3 sets. You can also break up these sets into multiple, short workouts throughout your day, provided that you warm-up each time.
  This video does not include music, but you can play a stereo or CD in the background as you workout. Just make sure you can still hear the instructions.
  To play the video, simply click on the Play button (bottom left corner) to start.  Below the video screen, you’ll find buttons for Pause, Stop, and volume control.

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2011 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21
hulitoons - 22 April 2011 04:39 PM

Second, what happened during the water exercise that caused injury?

My major problem with this injury is my urgent desire to do more than my body is willing to do. So i push myself.  hard.  And then spend days agonizing terribly waiting for the pain to subside to a liveable level again. shut eye

The water exercises allowed me to move gently around, but something about suspending/relaxing the major load-bearing muscles caused an inability of those same load-bearing muscles to resume bearing the load”, so to speak. (When I got out of the pool, or tried to, i found myself unable to walk/stand/move without great difficulty and/or help.  red face  I had the same problem with deep muscle therapy. (infra-red lights, vibration, etc)  A few hours after therapy, my whole back would spasm out until it felt like my shoulders were arched back 6inches past the back of my feet. big surprise  No fun. downer

So, basically, whilst the water exercises seemed to help at the time, hours later I would be unable to do even the simplest of tasks. (Tying shoes, taking off a shirt, anything and almost everything. shut eye

Signature 

Posted: 25 April 2011 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Then I have some other questions to ask you Dave:

1.  Did you enter into this water class under your doctor’s advisement?

2.  Was the instructor aware of the severity of your situation?

Even sitting in a bathtub is very similar to weightlessness and upon standing there is, for all of us, a feeling of sudden ‘weight’.  It is not surprising that this normal situation was greatly accelerated under your circumstances. 

Because of your situation I do not believe any exercise should be engaged without immediate supervision of a one-to-one instructor or trainer and vitals should probably be done before, during and then after.  Obviously some movements such as arm and upper body could be done without special help IF you are smart enough to gauge your limits.  I believe testosterone does typically push beyond limits. 

When I worked with my clients it was necessary that I watch closely their physical reactions including visual flushing, huffing, stumbling etc.  Even as a group I had to have one or two stop and simply walk the room and this after pulse was taken at the neck.  If I had them jogging outside no one was permitted to go beyond their limits which strung the line during which time I ran to the back and front always checking each individual.  In groups each learned to watch the others near them as well for any signs of trouble and this was instilled in each when a program was begun. 

So if you were in a class and in a group in the water, the instructor/instructors should have been watching closely and assessing.

Signature 

2 of 3