“Yumalite Light Therapy Visor”... has anyone tried this product?
Posted: 04 April 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Saw the ad for this on television earlier today,  couldn’t find anything about it in the forums.  Has anyone tried this product and if so, what were your results?

Yumalite ... affordable and innovative light therapy

The Winter Blues…
The Winter Blues is a problem faced by more than 300 million people in Canada and the United States, particularly during the dark, winter season and is typically characterized by symptoms such as:

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 04 April 2011 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6927
Joined  2005-10-21

Well, to be honest, there HAS been some evidence that low light levels during the winter and such can lead to depression, so light is a fine thing..

But you can get away with installing fairly cheap bulbs in the house, really.

I dunno, I’m gonna go with ‘possibly provides valid medical benefit, but is overpriced and underperforming’.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 05 April 2011 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I won’t deny that the seasons of the year do affect the moods of many people. But in this case I’d suspect a person would be better off spending their money on healthier food and joining a social club where you meet people face to face (not just online).

Plus I’d have to ask if this product might cause eye strain. I just know I don’t like the idea of having lights that close to my eyes.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 05 April 2011 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Having actually been diagnosed with mild SAD (Seasonal Affective disorder), I can’t really see where this thing is the slightest bit cost effective.  A few “true light” or full spectrum bulbs in the main rooms of one’s home (and a healthy daily dose of Vitamin D) tends to work as well as anything. (Though I DO remember a humorous episode of Northern Exposure where Walt got a Light cap and became addicted to the endorphin rush it gave him, but I digress…) wink

My advice on this; Keep your money.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 06 April 2011 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

^^^^^^

Good advice if someone was thinking of purchasing the product for it’s alleged health benefits, but the videos are entertaining…. and I do go to the occasional science fiction Con, maybe the Yumalite could be incorporated into a spiffy costume LOL.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 07 April 2011 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

There was a really funny episode on Northern Exposure where Walt gets addicted to one of these visor lights and thinks he’s superman or something.

EPISODE SYNOPSIS

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 07 April 2011 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
Bebelicious - 07 April 2011 08:51 PM

There was a really funny episode on Northern Exposure where Walt gets addicted to one of these visor lights and thinks he’s superman or something.

EPISODE SYNOPSIS

REALLY? surprised

daveprime - 05 April 2011 07:03 AM

Having actually been diagnosed with mild SAD (Seasonal Affective disorder), I can’t really see where this thing is the slightest bit cost effective.  A few “true light” or full spectrum bulbs in the main rooms of one’s home (and a healthy daily dose of Vitamin D) tends to work as well as anything. (Though I DO remember a humorous episode of Northern Exposure where Walt got a Light cap and became addicted to the endorphin rush it gave him, but I digress…) wink

My advice on this; Keep your money.

tongue wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 08 March 2012 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-03-08

Yes, I have tried YumaLite, and currently use it. I didn’t see the commercial you mentioned, feotu, but I heard about YumaLite through a friend who also suffers from low mood and low energy during the winter, or whenever it’s cloudy and rainy out. I bought the product online at [url=http://www.yumalite.com]http://www.yumalite.com [/url]on her recommendation and actually really like it.

I bought it because light therapy with a traditional ligthbox has worked for me in the past—lighttherapy really does work, and there’s a scientific reason for it. Actually one of the reasons I decided to give YumaLite a try was that I saw Dr. Dave, who I know from TV, endorsing it and explaining how it works.

The problem for me with my old lightbox was that I never had the time to sit still in front of it, which is why it’s now buried under a bunch of junk in my garage. A lighttherapy device I can walk around with works perfectly for me. It’s helped me a lot. It’s simple and easy to use and it works well, at least for me and my friend.

So this is the real deal as far as I’m concerned.

Posted: 08 March 2012 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15
BenMic - 08 March 2012 05:17 PM

Yes, I have tried YumaLite, and currently use it. I didn’t see the commercial you mentioned, feotu, but I heard about YumaLite through a friend who also suffers from low mood and low energy during the winter, or whenever it’s cloudy and rainy out. I bought the product online at [url=http://www.yumalite.com]http://www.yumalite.com [/url]on her recommendation and actually really like it.

I bought it because light therapy with a traditional ligthbox has worked for me in the past—lighttherapy really does work, and there’s a scientific reason for it. Actually one of the reasons I decided to give YumaLite a try was that I saw Dr. Dave, who I know from TV, endorsing it and explaining how it works.

The problem for me with my old lightbox was that I never had the time to sit still in front of it, which is why it’s now buried under a bunch of junk in my garage. A lighttherapy device I can walk around with works perfectly for me. It’s helped me a lot. It’s simple and easy to use and it works well, at least for me and my friend.

So this is the real deal as far as I’m concerned.

I’m not buying something that looks as if it might give me eyestrain.

I do agree daylight has an effect on us but I think it’s overly simplistic to claim this gadget will fix our moods. I’d say it would be more effective to keep in touch with people and have a healthy social life. Plus diet has a big impact on our health.

You’d get value from getting involved in a club or some other activity. Even keeping a nice and tidy environment at home.

So even though I haven’t tried this product it just looks like a waste of money to me.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 09 March 2012 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8164
Joined  2005-02-06

The product link does not work for me, but light-therapy is an established form of depression treatment. It suppresses the synthesis of melatonin in your body and encourages the synthesis of serotonin, which are both involved in sleeping rhythm as well as mood disorders. There have been several clinical trials showing its effectiveness. For a review, see here.

However, it is not just every random light you can use. It needs to be of the correct spectral range, and enough lux. I have no idea (also because the link does not work for me) whether this is the case with the gadget you brought up.

Note that there can be negative side-effects as well, for example in triggering an hypomania episode. So consult a doctor before experimenting.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134