4 of 4
eBooks vs real books
Posted: 13 April 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, we have the regular one the $139 one.  But you ONLY need the internet to download and then you don’t need to be near an internet connection or Wi-Fi at all because the book is ON the Kindle.  When you’re done you can delete it, but the Kindle holds an incredible number of books.  It can be a virtual library.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 27 April 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-04-26

i would take a hardcopy book over an ebook any day

Posted: 27 April 2011 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17
strive101 - 27 April 2011 05:44 PM

i would take a hardcopy book over an ebook any day

Sometimes that’s great….......if all you will ever own is a few AND if the book is light enough to not be a weapon on your own face laying in bed or if you drop it on your foot.

Both my husband and I have been collecting books for decades, the hard copy kind.  We are now running out of space to put them since we’re not a library.  We’ve sold some, given some to libraries etc. but they are taking up part of two flights of steps, multiple shelves all over the house….........................  They have now, some, become great rodent hideouts, food, collecting insects, rotting, and being confetti material for my African Gray. 

All this aside from all the trees chopped down just to make paper, all the energy to print, bind etc.

You get the idea.

People are now putting their entire (or most) of their music collections onto discs, MP3s etc.  Yet in reality, it’s doubtful the original tapes, records etc. for all of those now recorded libraries did not take up as much room as a private (and ongoing-growing) library that also creates a a dangerous environment for fires.

Nope.  Some books are collector material.  We also borrow books from three libraries as well as purchasing on our own.  It’s time to get great reading material onto a light weight, easy-to-hold and easy to read device.  You can either keep it when you’re done or delete it.  Oh, and a number of publishers are now going to provide libraries with offerings for Kindle and Nook I believe.  Erik gave me the info but it is not yet determined if they will automatically delete themselves after 2-3 weeks, or if there will be a fee to get them downloaded at participating libraries similar to renting videos from them.

What is the Future of Books? Kindle Lending Library, Piracy, and More!

Going to your local public library? Don

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 07 May 2011 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2011-01-01

I travel to out-of-the-way places for work, and usually am trying to pack “small” in order to have room for hard hat, work boots, and other assorted work paraphernalia.  The Kindle is perfect for me - I can read for two weeks or more on a single charge, it fits nicely into my laptop bag, and the cover I got for it has a neat little LED light for reading in restaurants, etc.

My wife also travels frequently for work, and likes to take a carry-on only.  Again, her Kindle is the perfect size.

I do like the feel of a paper book, but our house is in constant danger of being overrun with them.  Twice a year or more we end up taking two or three boxes of books to the Salvation Army, but we never used to get ahead of the clutter.  We might be starting to win, now.

Signature 

My dad always said, “be all that you can be”.

I tried it.  Succeeded.  Not terribly impressed with the results so far.

Posted: 07 May 2011 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2011-01-01

I should mention that my wife and I each buy/read from 4-7 books a week, so they start to pile up pretty fast!

Signature 

My dad always said, “be all that you can be”.

I tried it.  Succeeded.  Not terribly impressed with the results so far.

4 of 4