1 of 1
{/paginate}
Iran announces the world
Posted: 25 March 2011 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

In a remarkable move, scientists in Iran, a country more renowned for being unwilling participants in Hollywood blockbusters, than for their technological program, have announced that they

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 25 March 2011 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Why do I get the feeling it looks kinda small?

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 25 March 2011 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Peter - 25 March 2011 11:01 AM

Because it does.

You can assemble such a craft + camera yourself for under $1000 from parts available on eBay. But maybe they don’t have eBay in Iran.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 25 March 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Does look a bit like many hobby kits and the like. Mind you, the US has announced similar widgets. I’m willing to bet that the device is very likely functional, but there’s the question of range, battery life, picture quality, and whether or not the signal can be hacked…

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 25 March 2011 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2010-03-21

My kids watch Saturday morning cartoons (or what passes for them these days) and radio-controlled helicoptors with web cameras are advertised for $38. And they look much better than the goofy thing the Iranians made.

Posted: 25 March 2011 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

I’ll point out the US version is indistinguishable from a hummingbird - flies like one, hovers like one, looks like one.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 25 March 2011 07:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I expect that the Iranian one would be intended more for domestic use by the military and police, to keep an eye on their own people.  That thing there wouldn’t really do all that well in military use.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 25 March 2011 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Or civillian, really. I’m willing to bet it’s loud as all get out. Once the locals figure it out, they’ll probably just pop a rifle round into it.

Signature 

Posted: 25 March 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Would I be correct in assuming it wouldn’t be able to fly very high and it wouldn’t cope with even mildly bad weather? I’d imagine a strong wind would cause it problems.

LaMa - 25 March 2011 01:02 PM
Peter - 25 March 2011 11:01 AM

Because it does.

You can assemble such a craft + camera yourself for under $1000 from parts available on eBay. But maybe they don’t have eBay in Iran.

I’m sure they’d have an elaborate smuggling operation. They could order it for $1000 through a sleeper spy in Miami. They he could ship to Cuba via a home made submarine. They would then put it on a merchant ship that goes past the tip of South America. The ship would then spend 12 months traversing the Pacific and then eventually finish up in a secret smuggler’s harbour in India. From there it would take 6 months to smuggle it by foot to Iran.

To avoid detection they could only do it one at a time. So it will take them 10 years for Iran to have enough of them to be useful. By which time their intended targets for spying on could just buy a cheap zapping ray gun from under $100 from EBay.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}