2 of 5
Poll
Will mankind ever set foot on Mars... if so, when?
By 2020 2
By 2025 1
By 2030 2
By 2040 2
By 2050 2
Never 4
Total Votes: 13
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Mars… in honor of the approaching “close approach.”
Posted: 23 August 2005 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  2005-04-22

fair enough

Posted: 23 August 2005 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m sure the 90some million natives that died from war and disease didn’t think those three adventures were so hot.  Of course, that doesn’t necessarily apply in the case of Mars, but we still should be cognizant of everything we bring with us - war, disease, environmental destruction.

I think that robot exploration is completely valid, but we aren’t moving to Mars on a permanent basis for at least 50 years, probably far more.  I don’t think that the cost would justify sending a manned mission within the next 30 years.  There just wouldn’t be enough to gain from it.  All the knowledge we need to gain about prolonged isolation and the actual physical efforts involved can be gained without actually making the trip.  If we want to colonize something, the moon is a hell of alot closer.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 23 August 2005 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2004-11-08

We could go to Mars and beyond if we (the whole world) does one thing, quit the wars.  Take all the money we spend on warfare and put it into space exploration.

Another thing we will have to do is learn to accept differences.  Who knows what or who we will find out there and how different it/they will be.  We must get beyond seeing differences as a bad thing.

As for finding life out there, we may have to discard the idea that all life is oxygen based, and be prepared for things far more different than we could imagine in our wildest dreams.

With our current thoughts, spending etc., I don’t see us making it to Mars or anywhere else in my lifetime.

Signature 

“Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 12:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

Well Myst, life on Earth happens to be carbon based, but I know what you mean.  Scientists believe that because silicone can also create long chains that life elsewhere may be silicone-based.  However, I for one don’t believe we’ll find any multicellular life in our solar system, and I’m not very confident we’ll find life at all—but my best bet for life would be Europa. 

And as another note, in the time in which we’ve had radio we haven’t heard a peep out of space, which is a pretty good sign that there aren’t any aliens on their way here.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 24 August 2005 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22
Citizen Premier - 24 August 2005 04:32 AM

And as another note, in the time in which we’ve had radio we haven’t heard a peep out of space, which is a pretty good sign that there aren’t any aliens on their way here.

Citizen,

You’ve always struck me as being more in tune with the BIG picture then what a statement like that would symbolize. In the time that we’ve had radio and haven’t heard a peep out of space is actually of no big surprise to anyone… even SETI. For the amount of time we’ve had radio and similar technology is not even a drop in the bucket, or a drop in the ocean for that matter when compared to ALL of time. We’ve had these technologies for what, a hundred years tops? Signals detectable from other civilizations could have been passing us by while we were still rats hiding from dinos. Or it could reach us tomorrow. Or never. But to assume we are probably alone because we haven’t heard anything in only a hundred years is jumping to conclusions. Our own signals only became strong enough to leave the Earth in the mid 1930’s and those signals have barely started to venture out into our own cosmic neighborhood, much less traverse a major portion of our galaxy. Plus there are many other variables to take into consideration… what if these “other” civilizations are more advanced than we and consider the use of radio communication as a primitive technology? Their “signals” could be reaching us every day and we wouldn’t even know it. Point being though that the 100 years or so that we’ve had “advanced” technologies is actually not very long at all when you consider things on a cosmic time-scale as opposed to a human life-span time-scale.

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 24 August 2005 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Everyone knows that Mars doesn’t exist, neither do any other stars / planets. Conspiracy conspiracy conspiracy…...

tongue wink

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I’m so tired of dumping money into the space program.  Could we please get our own damn world in order, b/f we try shoot billions of dollars into the final frontier?

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Hear hear.

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26038
Joined  2004-11-08

That’s right, if we dumped the space program we could invade Iran tomorrow and have money left over to poke a stick at North Korea.  Simply return all your pagers, cell phones, landline phones, internet service, satellite radios, television, and any other service requiring satellites.  After all, without a space program we wouldn’t have satellite communications. raspberry

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 24 August 2005 12:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

Chary said “money left over to poke a stick at North Korea. “.....ha, thats funny!

I can understand Maegans issue with that…......Personally, I think private organizations need to stick to that kinda stuff….....Hel, if a private group managed to fly as high as they did…..before NASA…Surely they can put a person on Mars…......Would save the rest of us a ton of money…...

Posted: 24 August 2005 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18
Mark-N-Jen - 24 August 2005 08:39 AM

Citizen,

You’ve always struck me as being more in tune with the BIG picture then what a statement like that would symbolize. In the time that we’ve had radio and haven’t heard a peep out of space is actually of no big surprise to anyone…evenSETI . For the amount of time we’ve had radio and similar technology is not even a drop in the bucket, or a drop in the ocean for that matter when compared to ALL of time. We’ve had these technologies for what, a hundred years tops? Signals detectable from other civilizations could have been passing us by while we were still rats hidingfromdinos . Or it could reach us tomorrow. Or never. But to assume we are probably alone because we haven’t heard anything in only a hundred years is jumping to conclusions. Our own signals only became strong enough to leave the Earth in themid1930’s and those signals have barely started to venture out into our own cosmic neighborhood, much less traverse a major portion of our galaxy. Plus there are many other variables to take into consideration… what if these “other” civilizations are more advanced than we and consider the use of radio communication as a primitive technology? Their “signals” could be reaching us every day and we wouldn’t even know it. Point being though that the 100 years or so that we’ve had “advanced” technologies is actually not very long at all when you consider things on a cosmic time-scale as opposed to a human life-span time-scale.

Well I’m not saying that there’s no other intelligent life in the universe, I’m just suggesting that there aren’t any aliens with use of radio-technology within a 100 light-year bubble*. And I can’t really imagine why anyone would choose another form of communication considering that radio waves are basically instantaneo us when you’re sending a signal on one planet. I’m sure there are alien radio signals on the way, but they might not reach us for centuries,millennia or eons. And I suspect that if any alien signals were being broadcast in the past and then stopped, that would mean that an alien civilization had died out or gone into a dark age.
In summary, I agree generally with what you are saying, and I think you mistook my previous statement for total denial of other life in the universe. I simply think we’d have heard from any aliens before if any were headed here.

*That is to say, aliens who have had radio technology for the number of years that their planet is light-years away from Earth. An alien civilization 30 light years from here who just discovered radio technology might hear our signals but we wouldn’t hear theirs for 30 years. And if they were just discovering radio waves, that would probably mean they were a distance behind us in technology and thus unlikely to be capable of building an interstellar probe or spacecraft.

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

2 of 5