{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}
Woman on Cell phone in 1928 movie?! Time Traveler theories emerge…
Posted: 27 October 2010 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28

Some guy with nothing else to do found a women in a 1928 Charlie Chaplin moving making motions like she is talking on a cell phone. 

Here are some different bloggers videos:

People puzzled

Time Traveler?

My favorite line from the first article is this:

Stumped for an explanation, Clarke thinks the only plausible theory is that the woman is a time traveler

That’s right. There’s no way in HELL she’s scratching her ear while talking to someone not seen on camera. The ONLY explanation is time traveler. Yup. Time Traveling.

You shut up.

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 27 October 2010 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5530
Joined  2007-03-14

If that were a cell phone I would be really be wondering who in the heck she could be talking to.  There wouldn’t be any cell towers or wireless networks at that time so a cell phone would be nothing more than a poor paperweight.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 27 October 2010 09:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21
gray - 28 October 2010 01:27 AM

If that were a cell phone I would be really be wondering who in the heck she could be talking to.  There wouldn’t be any cell towers or wireless networks at that time so a cell phone would be nothing more than a poor paperweight.

Yeah but in Dr Who he’s set his companion’s cell phones to “universal roaming” & they work fine across space & time.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 27 October 2010 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

Reminds me of Night at the Museum 2, when Larry jumps in the painting of the post-WWII celebration and comments in amazement on how many bars he’s getting there.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 28 October 2010 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28

I’m wondering why that filmmaker says the only explanation is time traveler.  Really?  What is the rationale behind that? He can’t figure it out, so the ONLY solution is CELL PHONE?!

Hearing aids of that period were held up to the ear like that.  Why can’t it be that?

NO, the ONLY conclusion is TIME TRAVELER.

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 28 October 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Dily - 28 October 2010 12:18 PM

I’m wondering why that filmmaker says the only explanation is time traveler.

Because that way he gets his name all over the Internet.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 28 October 2010 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve read the person is probably just holding onto a hearing aid. View the old time hearing aids here.

As for the talking, I’d go along with the person talking to somebody off camera or maybe talking to themselves.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 28 October 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Dily - 28 October 2010 12:18 PM

I’m wondering why that filmmaker says the only explanation is time traveler.  Really?  What is the rationale behind that? He can’t figure it out, so the ONLY solution is CELL PHONE?!

Hearing aids of that period were held up to the ear like that.  Why can’t it be that?

NO, the ONLY conclusion is TIME TRAVELER.

I thought he was being sarcastic.  red face

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 28 October 2010 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16
Accipiter - 28 October 2010 01:43 PM

Because that way he gets his name all over the Internet.

Yeah. All over the crazy parts of the internet!

Oh, wait. Those are one in the same, aren’t they?

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 29 October 2010 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2006-04-12

Hes from belfast, which is great because its one of those times we can say hes british to avoid national embarassment.

Posted: 29 October 2010 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
sensibleken - 29 October 2010 11:44 AM

Hes from belfast, which is great because its one of those times we can say hes british to avoid national embarassment.

Perhaps he is also a time-traveler, and he’s actually living in old Belfast that is still Irish. . .  wink

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 29 October 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2006-04-12
Accipiter - 29 October 2010 02:37 PM
sensibleken - 29 October 2010 11:44 AM

Perhaps he is also a time-traveler, and he’s actually living in old Belfast that is still Irish. . .  wink

dag nam it!

smile

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}

‹‹ End of the Earth Postponed      Bigfoot ››