{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
“freeze your fat away”... sounds fishy, or am I too skeptical?
Posted: 10 October 2010 01:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Freeze your fat away

Freeze your fat away with Cool Shapes

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 10 October 2010 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

I’ll point out that ‘brown fat’ is a fairly new phenomenon, and appears to be our bodies changing to deal with how fat we’ve been getting in recent years. ‘Encouraging’ it might be a bad thing.

Also: if you are cold, your instinctive response is to eat *more*, to bulk up for winter, and add insulation. More fat, not less. If fat was so easily influenced by cold, then eskimos would look like concentration camp inmates.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 10 October 2010 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-21
Robin Bobcat - 10 October 2010 06:54 AM

If fat was so easily influenced by cold, then eskimos would look like concentration camp inmates.

Yeah that had occured to me also, but then the Inuit ( many of them consider the term “eskimo” derogatory) try to stay warm, not apply cold to their bodies.

And as I said, I couldn’t find their research page ( which sounds like it’s just articles & links they have cherrypicked from the internet, not their own research… no doubt a good thing, since they at least admit they aren’t scientists).

And maybe it’s just me, but I think it’d take more than being an impressionist artist ( oops, I mean a talented impressionist artist) to sell me on the merits of their product…. she could ensure it comes in real kick-ass packaging tho, I suppose.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

Posted: 10 October 2010 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

I found a news story about this here.

Fat-zapping machine freezes away love handles

-New machine can freeze off fat cells
-Costs quarter the price of liposuction

A NEW fat-zapping machine that allows out-of-shape people to have their love handles frozen away has started taking its first customers in Britain.

The painless alternative to liposuction, costing

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 10 October 2010 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

Yeah.  Somehow I don’t see the Dragon using these any time soon. hmmm  LOL
To her, if it isn’t 80F outside, its a “cool autumn/spring day”. wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 10 October 2010 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-21
daveprime - 10 October 2010 09:43 PM

To her, if it isn’t 80F outside, its a “cool autumn/spring day”. wink

I’ll go along with that.

But an impressionist artist!!!!

A talented impressionist artist!!!

What with that credential ( OK they admit “we aren

Signature 

Posted: 24 October 2010 11:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-24

What kind of fat do animals like bears have?  It seems to me that the cold withering away in the cold would be pretty counterproductive to animals that hibernate all winter. 

Either way, this doesn’t sound very healthy.  Whatever happened to eating less and exercising more?  hmmm

Posted: 27 April 2013 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-09-21

Sounds great; can you provide a link to the research & peer-reviewed studies that show this claim is accurate?  All I could find on the website is lots of press releases & testimonials.

Signature 

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Here are the studies that inspired this idea:

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0808949
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0808718
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0810780

As is usual with this sort of thing, there is a slight kernel of truth to the advertisements for this product.  These studies suggest that brown fat has shown some relevance in using up body fat, and cold temperatures seem to relate to that.  However, this product takes this idea (which is still in the investigative stage, by the way) and stretches it far beyond anything realistic.

First, there doesn’t seem to be much, if any, brown fat activity in most people.  If you have weight problems, then you almost certainly don’t have it; it only seems to appear in people who are already thin.  So if you’re overweight, you probably don’t have enough brown fat to do anything.

Brown fat only forms in the area around the upper chest and throat, too, while influencing body fat storage equally all throughout the body.  Putting one of these cold packs on some “trouble spot”, therefore, is not going to somehow shape your body by activating the brown fat in that one spot.

And brown fat doesn’t seem to be all that efficient.  You’d get more and faster results just from exercising and eating right. . .which would also give you more long-lasting benefits.

feotu - 10 October 2010 03:10 AM

. . .but then the Inuit ( many of them consider the term “eskimo” derogatory). . .

The Eskimo/Inuit thing is actually rather complicated.  A large number of Eskimo are not Inuit; while perfectly satisfied to be called Eskimo, they would be insulted to be called Inuit (sort of like calling a Hopi a Sioux, or a Chinese guy Japanese, or a Dutch man German).

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Ah ha, here is a sort of simplified summary of those three journal articles.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}