Ford Edsel. Is there a documentary?
Posted: 19 September 2010 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve done a Google search for any video documentary on the Ford Edsel. I haven’t found one so far. Considering it’s supposed to be a classic disaster of a car I’m curious to see a documentary on why this was so.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Early commercial…

“What a Vacation - Part one” a film produced by Ford about a road trip in an Edsel.

Company History film for Management 1957 - put out to inform upper managers of the design and development of the Edsel.

That ought to get you started.  (I don’t use Google.  Ugh.  I use Search dot com.  I always seem to get better results with it. I entered the search terms “Ford Edsel” and clicked the ‘video’ search tab and it came up with 82 videos!) cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 20 September 2010 01:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Peter, I can’t imagine why a filmed documentary of the decline of this particular model/make would even have been made.  Many ‘lemons’ have come and gone in cars so perhaps there is a filmed documentary on all of them somewhere but it would most likely be a small, independent film buried along with the failed vehicles, or possibly news clips at theaters between movies. 

Usually the reasons why they fail have much to do with the economy at the time, marketing etc. 

Edsel failure timeline (man to car failure)

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 September 2010 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Thanks for the links.

hulitoons - 20 September 2010 05:35 AM

Peter, I can’t imagine why a filmed documentary of the decline of this particular model/make would even have been made.

I just thought since it’s been such a well known disaster there might have been a documentary on it. I remember there’s at least one book about it on Amazon so I’ll have a look for any DVDs there.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 20 September 2010 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

I’m sure that any films about the life of the man/family would surely include all the fiascoes including the Edsel.  So look for biographies.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 20 September 2010 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 20 September 2010 10:34 AM

I’m sure that any films about the life of the man/family would surely include all the fiascoes including the Edsel.  So look for biographies.

I found this DVD as well as this book.

I can always buy one of them after I get a job. Although I’ll have to wait to see if the DVD comes back in stock.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 20 September 2010 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Well, Peter, these three are the three links i put up:

THE EDSEL STORY-This is (in my opinion) the highlight of the DVD! It is a seminar given to the dealers before the introduction to the general public (see clip below) It includes the introduction of the Edsel (See Clip above) It also shows Ford business strategy, the Dealership network the are planning on setting up,the large capitol being invested and how it hopes to compete with GM + Chrysler. It shows some of the features, such as push button transmission.This Great 30 minute film may leave you wanting to buy an Edsel! WHAT A VACATION-A Film produced by Ford aimed at the general public.This starts with a great scene from the factory showing the Edsel being assembled This shows a boy, his family, and their Edsel going cross-country on vacation Run-time 22 Minutes..COMMERCIAL A 2-

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 20 September 2010 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
daveprime - 20 September 2010 12:22 PM

Well, Peter, these three are the three links i put up:

THE EDSEL STORY-This is (in my opinion) the highlight of the DVD! It is a seminar given to the dealers before the introduction to the general public (see clip below) It includes the introduction of the Edsel (See Clip above) It also shows Ford business strategy, the Dealership network the are planning on setting up,the large capitol being invested and how it hopes to compete with GM + Chrysler. It shows some of the features, such as push button transmission.This Great 30 minute film may leave you wanting to buy an Edsel! WHAT A VACATION-A Film produced by Ford aimed at the general public.This starts with a great scene from the factory showing the Edsel being assembled This shows a boy, his family, and their Edsel going cross-country on vacation Run-time 22 Minutes..COMMERCIAL A 2-

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 20 September 2010 09:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I watched a documentary on that car back in the mid-90’s.  It was on television, but I can’t recall anything about who produced it or whatnot.

And actually, the Edsel wasn’t a bad car.  It was, apparently, an extremely good car.  It just didn’t sell as well as was hoped.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 October 2012 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15

Finally, after all these years, I find a documentary about the Ford Edsel. It’s an episode in a British TV series about the history of cars.

Link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLK_k84EBlk

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!