{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}
My colonoscopy - colon cleansing - where WERE the 10 to 40 pounds of undisgested meat?
Posted: 10 August 2010 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Nowhere because they don’t/didn’t exist in me any more than they do anybody else.

OK, we’ve had this discussion before, but now I have a new perspective and asked a few questions of the doctors and nurses at the clinic.

First of all I’m 49 years old and as my father had 18 inches of colon removed due to colon cancer when he was only 53, I knew I was putting it off, so I finally went for it as the insurance covered it at 100%.  (I’m fine by the way, only one benign polyp).

Sunday was a diet of all clear liquids such as Gatoraid (for electrolytes and such), Chicken Broth (nutrition and sodium for fluid retention).  Lime or lemon jello was allowed, but I forgot to make some the night before, and of course water.  Soft drinks and some other things were allowed.  At 4PM I had to take 4 ducolax and at 6PM, I mixed something like two weeks worth of Miralax with 32 ozs of Garoraid and 32 ozs of water.  I drank 8 ozs every 15 minutes.  (That’s 64 ozs of poo remover in 2 hours) You can imagine the rest of the night.
According to the prep instructions, by morning I should be passing only clear to yellow fluid, which is correct.  At no time did anything resembling 10 lbs of meat leave my body.

My procedure was at 8:30 AM Monday.  While lying in one of those little all purpose beds as they hooked up my saline (damn, no versat yet), I explained to the nurse that while I knew the 10-40 lbs of meat thing was a myth, I had a friend that insisted on doing a colon cleanse every month, and what could I do to talk her out of it?

Yes, the meat thing is a myth.  They do this every day and have never found 10 lbs of meat in anyone.  The only time they find something is when someone doesn’t do the prep and/or they eat and they have NEW fecal matter which means they get sent home to start over.  No one has ever told them they lost undigested meat during the prep. 

The prep I did Sunday is dangerous if done regulary.  It is necessary for a colonoscopy.  You can’t find cancer if poop is covering it up. 

The colon is a major part of your immune system, and for the most part is self cleaning.  (Duh).  Flushing (no pun intended) out the enzymes and bacteria that live there leave you open to the diseases that they keep under control.  It can leave you sick and tired which unfortunately makes those people that are sick and tired think that they have to do it more often.

They gave me pictures (now there’s something for FB) of the various parts of my colon, and I have to say, I saw only clean healthy tissue and no evidence that 10-40 pounds of undigested meat had ever taken up residence there - and trust me I’m a meat eater.  For those disbelievers who insist on taking pictures of their poo in a bucket after some new miracle cleanse, “It’s the binding agent in the snake oil they sold you.  If you don’t believe me, get a real colonoscopy and see for yourself.”

So anyway, after over 24 hours without food, I had my husband drive me (thank God for 24 hour burger joints) to Dizzy Whizz for a Whizzburger.  Yes, there is such a thing as a Whizzburger (google it), and it’s divine.  And don’t try to steal fries from someone who hasn’t had solid food in over a day.  You could lose a hand.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 10 August 2010 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14

Well I’m glad to hear your in fine health.  This is something I chould have had done already I guess but I’ve been putting it off mainly because of the need to go on that special diet before the appt.  I can’t imagine going a full day without decent food.  ugh

Is Bob’s hand recovering nicely?

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 11 August 2010 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

But Bebelicious, perhaps it was forty pounds of quantum meat stuck in there, and thus you couldn’t see it!

Or hey, maybe those people mean that it is

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 August 2010 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

Nah! They hid it from her so they can sell it to the market later, for a tidy little profit. Mmmmm. hamburger! cheese

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 12 August 2010 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

Yeah, Bob’s great. The hand institute here is top notch By the way, the pathology came back and the polyp was pre-cancerous.  No big deal though, I just gotta come back in three years instead of five or ten.  Ain’t modern medicine wonderful?

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}