3 of 4
How NOT to support your product online
Posted: 21 September 2010 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-09-19
Accipiter - 06 August 2010 02:56 AM

Heck, quite often they’ll say that they don’t actually know anything about the product and don’t care about knowing it, either.

And then they accuse us of being the ones who are refusing to learn about the product.

that’s my buddy to a “T” a couple of nights ago he and i got into it about CieAura. I kept asking him question and he kept saying “i dont know” “i dont know” “i dont know”
and I simply say:

“how can you not know…you are selling this product (or giving it away, he does both) you are endorsing this product and you know nothing about it how is that possible? I know quite a bit about this product and am finding that i want to know more and nobody can tell me more!”
and his response is:
“i dont have the time and the energy for that nor do i care to know how it works and if you want to know more then here contact this guy”
he hands me a card with a couple of email addresses and phone numbers (so far he has not answered my call nor returned my voice mail messages…guess the emails are next)

you hit that defense tactic on the head!!![size=3]

Signature 

“if you wonder how he eats and breaths and other science facts…just keep in mind its just a show you should really just relax…”

Posted: 21 September 2010 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

I’ve taken to answering this argument with one of my own:  my amazing and marvelous shotgun-to-the-head therapy.  This therapy consists of being shot repeatedly in the head at close range by a shotgun firing alternating loads of solid sabots and buckshot.  This therapy will cure cancer, increase vitality, improve complexion, boost intelligence, properly align your chakras, balance your cellular resonance energy, antioxidise your quantum, and stop your feet from stinking.

So far, none of the people pushing the

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 21 September 2010 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Nah, now, see, that’s just new-aged hippy crap. This is tried-and-true traditional medicine.

I wonder if the homeopaths use shells stuffed with rock salt?

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 08 January 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Power Balance, but still, good to see this BS is getting hit where it hurts.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 24 February 2011 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I was just recently reminded of another tactic that people often use when trying to support some dubious product.

14) The Appeal to Emotions

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 24 February 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
Accipiter - 24 February 2011 08:28 PM

Of course, when you take away the emotional aspect of it all and look at what the person actually has to say, you’ll generally see that they don’t really have anything to say.  Often, they’ll just be a case of “my claim is right because a vague undefined feeling tells me that it is”.

Or ... “Because I really really NEED it to be true!”  hmmm  downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 26 February 2011 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Along the same vein, all I can say is heh.

Personally, I think Acci’s list is way better…and no, that’s not just because I’m biased at all…nope, not me!

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 26 February 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

I still like to go down the list of Fallacious Arguments in Wikipedia. It’s good to have them handy for such emergencies.

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2011 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  366
Joined  2006-09-28
Smerk - 26 February 2011 10:12 AM

Along the same vein, all I can say is heh.

Personally, I think Acci’s list is way better…and no, that’s not just because I’m biased at all…nope, not me!

That list is hilarious.  Why do I read forums like this and lists like that when I need a self-esteem boost?

Signature 

“Go ahead, threaten me like you have the American people for so long! You’re part of a dying breed, like people who can name all fifty states! The truth hurts, doesn’t it? Oh sure, maybe not as much as landing on a bicycle with the seat missing, but it hurts!”

Posted: 30 March 2012 06:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-03-29

Is there a spot to click on I do not see?

Dan the near-blind

Posted: 30 March 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Click on the word “heh” . smile

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

3 of 4