1 of 2
{/paginate}
Otakon 2010 over, recooperating, lost 5 pounds
Posted: 02 August 2010 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Otakon has ended for this year and I think I’ll be a while recovering.  I shed 5 pounds but am sure I’ll find them again soon enough.  The effects however are that I feel as though I’m just starting to recover from the flu.  For those who may be interested, I only took Rave videos this year and am glad I kept it simple because it’ll be a while before my brain is working again. 

The second day I was actually interviewed by an Anime news station and a lot of pics were taken including, before even getting into the Convention Center, from an ambulance who stopped so the passenger could run over (no, the lights were not going so no one was in peril).  That was the most exhausting day because I couldn’t even get to the bathroom unless i ran because people were calling for Kevin! (from Up) and I was befuddled that this costume caused such an amazing group following.  (Yes I made all of it including her head—the interviewer asked about her head and I explained emphatically that I made ALL of her, including her head—and ommitted the burns to my hands and fingers and other parts during the making of duration). 

Probably only a few of you will even bother with this thread but I’m putting pics here anyway along with the links…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8Tz_SduSE

Friday rave one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5U0Gn8iiQ

Friday rave Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLFSgXHzuQ0

Saturday rave

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 02 August 2010 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

That is cool to the extreme, Huli!  Awesomeness excelled!! cheese
(And good job on the costume, too!) wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 02 August 2010 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

VERY nice, Huli! Very.. birdish.

If you like raves, should check out furry cons. We *LOVE* a good boompy beat, and some of the suiters really go wild with EL lighting on their suits..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 02 August 2010 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Our Hulitoons at Otakon
Did dress herself most birdishly;
There she did party well and long,
Delighting all most nerdishly.

Greenleaves were on her dress,
Greenleaves were her delight,
Greenleaves and tarantula hand;
Oh who but our Lady Greenleaves?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 03 August 2010 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Is it bad that I read the first verse as Puff the Magic Dragon, and the second as Amazing Grace?

Common Meter. Fun stuff.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.

Posted: 03 August 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21

And i kept wanting to add one ‘beat’ per line on the second part. LOL

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 03 August 2010 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Turns out that the weight (at least a good portion of it) that I ‘lost’ was from dehydration.  I haven’t weighed to see if I’ve been able to get completely hydrate again but I will have to be careful next time and watch for the warnings. 

I had deliberately tried to not drink very much because I really didn’t want to have to use the bathroom much over the three-day period (of course that’s stupid because I did anyway).  By the second day, wearing ‘Kevin’ which weighed between 15 and 20 pounds, I’d told Erik that I was soaking wet and could feel sweat going down my back, and then my lips started to peel and I just thought they were chapped.  I figured we were all perspiring a lot because of the heat, but after dancing at both raves it really looked like I’d stepped into a shower because everything was soaked and I usually don’t pay much attention when I dance.

Monday morning when Erik climbed up into the loft to wake me when he was leaving with a kiss, I actually had no idea what was going on, or why he was doing that.  I was stumbling, running into walls and couldn’t hold onto a single thought or idea.  That was befuddling but worse I was so faint that I really thought I was going to fall unconscious.  That’s when I knew I was in some kind of trouble and thought, ‘okay, I need protein’ so I ate part of a tuna sandwich.  That didn’t help so I thought, ‘I need some sugar’.  That didn’t help either.  Eventually I figured, okay, if I’m dehydrated I need to replace electrolytes, or I need potassium and sodium.  All I had was a small bag of potato chips from a meal Erik had at Panera so I opened them up and ate them…............... then I drank water in small amounts over the next couple hours and my brain started to clear.

THEN I finally looked up dehydration and weight loss and discovered I had all the symptoms that are supposed to prompt you to call 911, and that it takes awhile to hydrate once so much has been lost.  I honestly didn’t know either that you can lose one pound of water just jogging for an hour. 

You’d think I’m old enough to know better…............

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 03 August 2010 10:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14

Adding a small amount of salt to your water when you drink it can help, too.  Just a little teensy tinsy bit of salt, though, otherwise you’re making a wonderful cocktail for inducing vomiting.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 04 August 2010 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Acci, you just made me realize that they make such ‘drinks’....called Propel, or other sport drinks that have all that stuff already in it!  I just told Erik that this is what we’re carrying next year (or to any other kind of event where such might happen!)

(note:  I still haven’t regained all that was lost but I was able to do all my yoga and cardio this morning even though I was soaked again and pooped)

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2010 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, Propel, Gatorade, all that. People scoff at them for being overpriced water and salt, but the fact is, that’s pretty much what your body requires after severe dehydration.

One thing you can make yourself is Dragon Sweat - basically salty lemonade. You make a batch of lemonade the way you like it, and keep adding salt to it until you can *just* taste the salt.

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2010 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-14
Robin Bobcat - 04 August 2010 05:11 PM

One thing you can make yourself is Dragon Sweat - basically salty lemonade. You make a batch of lemonade the way you like it, and keep adding salt to it until you can *just* taste the salt.

Hey, that’s not what dragon sweat tastes like!

Errrrrr. . .I mean. . .ummmmm. . .

So, ready for next year’s outing yet, Hulitoons?

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2010 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Accipiter - 04 August 2010 09:11 PM
Robin Bobcat - 04 August 2010 05:11 PM

Let’s put it this way…...... I CAN’T WAIT!!!

Hey, that’s not what dragon sweat tastes like!

Errrrrr. . .I mean. . .ummmmm. . .

So, ready for next year’s outing yet, Hulitoons?

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}