1 of 2
What the heck is it called at concerts when…..
Posted: 24 February 2010 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8381
Joined  2005-04-17

What the heck is it called at concerts when someone gets picked up by the standing crowd and gets passed overhead like flotsom on a human wave?

We went to see Flogging Molly ( http://www.floggingmolly.com/ )last night and I wanted to get down to the main mass because this was happening along with the back and forth movement of the mass that you had to be part of and move to because there was no other choice…no room. 

The safety rail in front of the stage was pushed back to provide an open moat for security who kept taking the living, floating bodies as they came forward and ushering them off back into the mass gallery HA! 

We walked up to the second tier and had more room though to jump but the rail was full so I had to watch stuff between the legs of those standing there or turn and just watch the numerous screens everywhere. 

Since this group is considered celtic-punk, dance is generally jumping and screaming and it was fantastic (except I should’ve worn a better bra), but I can barely talk this morning and I can barely move.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 24 February 2010 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

Crowd surfing?

And glad you had a good time. smile

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 24 February 2010 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9078
Joined  2008-03-02

Dave says it’s called stage-diving, crowd-diving, or crowd-surfing.  Sounds like you had a fun evening! *hugs*

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 24 February 2010 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

It’s appropriately called crowd surfing.

How was the show? Flogging Molly plays for free at our Irish Festival every year, though there was a little crowd control problem this last year.

Posted: 24 February 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7525
Joined  2005-04-23
hulitoons - 24 February 2010 03:31 PM

or turn and just watch the numerous screens everywhere.

That sort of thing pisses me off.
You’ve paid to go and see a band
You can always watch TV at home!

Wifie and I went to a concert about fourteen months ago and it irritated me then that I had to bend into unnatural positions to see the band.

Signature 

Smerk the cutest dragon
Lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist
In Western Australi

Little Accipiter loved that girl enough
He told her jokes and crazy facts
And other forum stuff

Smerk the cutest dragon:
Traveled cross the sea,
To hunt her prey in foriegn lands,
And snuggle with Acci!

Smerk the cutest dragon
Is getting married now they say
Though little Accipiter
Has yet to name the day.

http://www.veshearman.com/

Posted: 24 February 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

The last band I went to go see was Charlie Daniels.  Fantastic concert. When we showed up I went to the ticket window to try and upgrade our tickjts. (They were in the nosebleed section).  It turned out that a radio station had reserved a row of seats, and then had declined them at the last (30 min) minute.  So Crafty and i sat about 7 rows from the stage, dead center in a row full of empty seats! surprised  It was AWESOME!!  Charlie must have gone through 6 or 7 bows during the concert.

The last ‘rock’ concert I went to was Rush:2112. red face
Yeah, i don’t get out much. LOL

I think that if I went to the concert and couldn’t at least see the band, I would get my money back and go home.

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 24 February 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

I think the last concert I went to was GWAR.  Excellent concert.  The one before that was probably GWAR also, though it might have been KMFDM and Raymond Watts from PIG.  Both were absolutely excellent.  Especially KMFDM.

I’m really sad I missed out on the Atmosphere/Sage Francis benefit for Haiti concert they had earlier this month at First Ave.  I only heard about it after the fact.  Shame because I like both of them (even if Slug is a humongous jerk).

Posted: 24 February 2010 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

I don’t mind Shar because we were right above the band and usually people move aside for me anyway.  I don’t like concerts that have seats so Erik doesn’t get tickets to anything like that anymore.  I can’t sit still and if it’s great music it floods the whole area whether you can see them or not and I usually dance, jump, yell, scream and move all over the place the whole time…........ CANNOT sit in a seat when it’s good music.  We could have moved down into the mass, but I had more room above. 

Yeh, security was pretty heavy.  Tickets sold out 2 months ago so that tells how long we waited HAHAHA!!!  I can barely move today partly because I actually had two WHOLE glasses of wine too (I’m not a drinker so that’s a mile mark).  I was so sweat soaked when we left that I had to lay my clothes out overnight to get them dry.

note:  I have slept most of the day away now and am REALLY stiff, but I had to go out and shovel the deck of snow and ice since we have another possible storm coming through tonight.  Slipped and cut one heel up pretty badly but only bruised the other one…..............I need motrin.  I am NOT going to the Y tonight!

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 25 February 2010 10:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2007-03-14

I haven’t been to a concert in so long it’s not funny.  I never did get into the whole concert scene and never understood all the stuff like crowd surfing.  Guess that’s what I get for growing up in the boonies with a rifle and fishing pole in my hand.  lol

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 25 February 2010 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15019
Joined  2006-08-16

*Points and laughs at Gray.*

LOL LOL LOL

gray - 26 February 2010 03:02 AM

I haven’t been to a concert in so long it’s not funny.

Oh. long face  Sorry.

Seriously, though, I can’t say I’ve really been to many concerts overall. Frankly, I’m not that much into music that there are many acts I would be interested in seeing perform live. I have seen a few. Van Halen, the Eagles, Aerosmith and Poison to name a few.

But the last two concerts I’ve been to were both by the same artist (different shows and years, though), and that is Weird Al Yankovic. He puts on an awesome, fun, family-friendly show with videos and costume changes throughout.  And since he’s not a big act it’s generally in a smaller, more intimate venue where you can see everything no matter where you are.

Anymore he’s really the only artist I would be interested in seeing live because as a general rule I don’t understand the want or desire to see a live performance of the music I already spent $15 (or more for multiple albums) to own when most of the time I can’t really see or enjoy the act anyway. If I’m going to hear the music I’d rather be in my own, comfortable environment than crammed in an overly loud, crowded drug- and alcohol-infused environment with a bunch of people I don’t know and wouldn’t really have any desire to hang around with outside of listening to that band.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 26 February 2010 06:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

gray and Tah, both of your observations are interesting to me because I, myself, do not listen to music at home, (except Il Divo that I play every day for FuzzyButt and which I hear through the nannycam).  So, I don’t buy music via iTunes, nor cds, radio, tv, etc.  I find it irritating. 

I had never gone to a concert (except symphonies over seas) until I was in my 40s and then only once until I met Erik when I was nearly 60.  I ONLY like those whose music is not only good, but fast (I don’t like folk stuff). 

I like them live because I can feel the vibrations of the drums and instruments through the floor, and because I can move around, jump, kick and no one cares.  No one thinks it silly or somehow obscene for someone my age to ‘celebrate’.  When I’m in crowds where the audience is punk or goth, I am especially comfortable and am even invited to touch spiked hair while others want to try my glasses on so it seems not to matter whether I know their names. 

I leave feeling exhilarated and clean and alive, even when I am physically wilting. 

I would not listen to the same music at home even though I know that Erik does buy a lot of it.  He’s bought cds for me and they sit here still sealed in their wrappers.

Signature 

Posted: 26 February 2010 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’ve never really cared for the sorts of concerts where people are all jumping around and screaming, much less flinging themselves bodily into the crowd.  The times I’ve gone to those concerts, it was generally because I was with somebody else who did want to go.  If I go to watch a performance live, I go there to listen to the music. . .not to listen to somebody in the audience screaming non-stop into my ear while somebody else shoves their elbow in my face.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

1 of 2