1 of 2
{/paginate}
This just seems too bizarre for words…
Posted: 17 March 2006 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Someone posted this link on another site, and some are sure it’s satire…but it doesn’t read at all like satire (to me).
Caution, sensitive information, abortion related.
Link

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 17 March 2006 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

This scares me.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 17 March 2006 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  373
Joined  2004-04-20

Doesn’t read like satire to me either. It reads like a seriously bad idea. I would refer people who are tempted to try this out to Reality Rule 1.7: The Internet is not a reliable source of information about birth or babies.

Posted: 17 March 2006 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Satire or not, I worry that people will actually try it.  It’s incredibly easy for something to go wrong and for people to die.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 17 March 2006 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

I had a feeling this was a right-to-life attempt to actually sicken folks enough just with the procedure that they will rethink abortion.  At the end of this very volumnous article that’s proved to be the case.  Unfortunately, I believe there are some folks who will press ‘print’ and begin a shopping list without getting to the concluding resolution.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 17 March 2006 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1581
Joined  2004-11-10

That doesn’t sound like satire to me either as it is way too detailed.  If it is satire, it’s not very good.  Way to easy to take seriously.  Have you read the people’s comments on the bottom?

Signature 

Fads they come and fads they go, but god I love that Rock & Roll!
-Modest Mouse

Posted: 17 March 2006 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-03-17

I’ve seen this posted everywhere in the blogosphere.  Doesn’t look like a hoax to me…

Posted: 17 March 2006 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1313
Joined  2006-02-05

This looks absolutely real to me.

Fortunately, travel within the United Stats is cheap, easy, and still legal.

But I can sure imagine a well-intentioned high-school senior taking matters into his (or her) own hands.

Dan Jr.

Posted: 17 March 2006 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

There was a big discussion about this on another board.  Since they were into more of a discussion (and some flaming) of it…no one even questioned it.  Some people thought it was satire b/c of some of the comments the author made during the “instructions”.  Things like, this is costly, might be hard to get…etc.

But based on the comments - someone is serious about this.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 18 March 2006 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

It seems to be for real.  I think the person who put the information out there sincerely felt that it was better to have a sanitary step by step available for women who might otherwise do “the coathanger thing”.  Let’s not forget that that was a reality in at least my lifetime.  Where I live, safe, legal M.D. performed abortions are a quick drive or bus ride away to downtown, but apparently in her state there are not enough providers willing to provide the service, and it sounds like there is a lot of political pressure against the procedure.  I just hope some poor pregnant teenager doesn’t get hold of this information, hand it over to her boyfriend, tell him to get the stuff, do the thing and then end up dying or losing her ability to bear children in the future.  While I cringed while reading it, a desparate person might not.

I have a feeling that this woman might be a midwife.  If abortion becomes illegal again, midwives will become the primary source of abortions - maybe not as safe as performed by an M.D. in a sterile clinic setting - but safer than the so called back alley abortion.  As late as the (US) civil war, abortion was the primary source of birth control in the United States and it was legal and acceptable.  More women died in childbirth than though abortion.  In the mid 20th century before the procedure became legal, savvy women with an unwanted pregnancy would find a doctor willing to perform a D and C and document the procedure as medically necessary for some other reason - say bleeding between periods. 

Anyway, I had several early miscarriages before I came to terms with the fact that I had a condition that just simply would not allow me to carry past eight weeks, so I’ve had a lot of D and Cs (the procedure described and also usually standard procedure after a miscarriage) and what she describes sounds pretty accurate. 

Sorry if that’s more than anybody wants to know.  I found all this out while trying to conceive and reading everything about pregnancy on the planet!!!!

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 18 March 2006 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

I think this is serious, not satire. I am also very happy that I live in a country where abortion is legal, and performed by qualified medical doctors.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 18 March 2006 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2006-01-23

abortion, i think, is SICK. but doing it w/out a doctor approaches suicide, or at least severe injury. that is real scary.

Signature 

conteskimo.blogspot.com

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}