{/paginate}
Did you know…
Posted: 19 August 2005 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4243
Joined  2005-06-05
Charybdis - 19 August 2005 03:12 PM

The squid is the only land mammal that is capable of swallowing a grown adult whole.

You forgot about the tree octopus; larger individuals have been known to engulf small adults.

Posted: 19 August 2005 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26041
Joined  2004-11-08

Ah, but the tree octopus is strictly aboreal, unlike the squid which is comfortable both on land and in the trees.

Signature 

Heaven must be really boring, if you think about it logically.
All the angels must be snoring.  Who could stand perfection for eternity?

Not me. - George Hrab

Posted: 21 August 2005 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

Darn, David beat me to it.  I wanted to debunk some of those!

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 22 August 2005 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5153
Joined  2005-01-11

hey smerk, dunno if i’d sink, but my nans dog was definitely sinking into the ground when he fell… sorry, bounded, into some quicksand and definitely wouldnt have been able to get out on his own.

Signature 

If you can’t handle someone at their worst,

You don’t deserve them at their best.

Posted: 23 August 2005 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3174
Joined  2005-05-19

Statues of Famous people on horse-back:

If both front feet on ground-  Means nothing particularly happened.

If one of front legs raised the rider died as a result of wounds received in battle

If both front legs of horse raised the rider (whoever he/she was) died in battle.

System is used mainly by us Brits but think the US does it too. Any examples, let me know.

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 23 August 2005 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

The Bible is the most stolen publishing…..

Posted: 23 August 2005 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Mort - 23 August 2005 03:26 PM

Statues of Famous people on horse-back:

If both front feet on ground-  Means nothing particularly happened.

If one of front legs raised the rider died as a result of wounds received in battle

If both front legs of horse raised the rider (whoever he/she was) died in battle.

System is used mainly by us Brits but think the US does it too. Any examples, let me know.

Sorry Mort:

http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.htm

None of these fit into that code:
GEN. SIMON BOLIVAR: 18th at C and Virginia NW (1959). One hoof raised; died in peace of tuberculosis.

MAJ. GEN. NATHANIEL GREENE: Stanton Square, Maryland and Massachusetts NE (1877). One hoof raised; died in peace, unwounded.

MAJ. GEN. ANDREW JACKSON: Lafayette Park (1853). Two hooves raised; died in peace.

LT. GEN. THOMAS J. (STONEWALL) JACKSON: Manassas (1940). All hooves on ground; wounded by own men and died.

MAJ. GEN. PHILIP KEARNY: Arlington National Cemetery (1914). One hoof raised; died in battle.

MAJ. GEN. GEORGE B. McCLELLAN: Connecticut Avenue and Columbia Road NW (1907). One hoof raised; died in peace, unwounded.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

LT. GEN. THOMAS J. (STONEWALL) JACKSON: Manassas (1940). All hooves on ground; wounded by own men and died.

By his own men? Gonna have to look that one up casue it sounds funny. Is that date mean to be 1840? Thought he was a Civil War fella?

Signature 

“Never before in my time at the bar or on the bench have I ever had to deal with somebody who voluntarily allowed himself to be buggered by a dog on the public highway.”

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5071
Joined  2005-03-16

*If I’m recalling this correctly* no piece of paper can be properly folded in half more than 8 times, no matter how big or small, thick or thin. Try it for yourself. wink

Posted: 24 August 2005 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-05-19

Oh and yes, you’re right the rule applies to only a few statues in the US (asked my bro last night, He’s an officer in our forces but spent a few months over your side giving civil war ours last year) but over here we try and stick to it.

Good (and this time correct) Fact:  The little divot in the middle of your upper lip which extends to your nose is called a Filtrum.

And…..

Maggie Thatcher invented the process to help preserve frozen ice-cream. She really was cool….!

And…..

In 1980, Saddam Hussein received a key to the city of Detroit.

Signature 

Posted: 24 August 2005 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08
Mort - 24 August 2005 12:23 PM

By his own men? Gonna have to look that one up casue it sounds funny. Is that date mean to be 1840? Thought he was a Civil War fella?

It was dark out.  Serious tragedy.  He was a civil war fellow.  I don’t know if the date is a typo or the date the statue was erected.  In fact, when it happened, I think they propped him up on his horse, and didn’t tell the other soldiers that he had been wounded - so as not to bring down morale.  I did find this:  Died: 10 May 1863.  After the battle at Chancellorville (May 2-4, 1863), Jackson was wounded by his own soldiers and his left arm was amputated. A week later he died, possibly of pneumonia.  His other nickname was “Old Blue Light,” for his eyes… Jackson was present at the execution of abolitionist John Brown… Lee’s famous response to Jackson after he was wounded was “You have lost your left. I have lost my right arm.”

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

{paginate}
2 of 9
{/paginate}

‹‹ Thursday August 18th      Friday August 19th ››