Sorry, God doesn’t exist.
Posted: 01 March 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

*eye twitch*

*deep breath*

Ahem… Now then… I know you feel it necessary to defend your faith. The fact of the matter is, this is not the place, and certainly not the time, this having been a thread three months dead and gone.

However…. I’m afraid that you’ve gone and upset Ol’ Stinky here, and he has a few words to say about dredging up tired and pointless arguments that have been around since well before the Internet. Most of those words are gonna be ‘splat’ and ‘thud’, but I think you’ll find his debate tactics startlingly effective. Or at least startling.

*applies the little known ‘argumentum ad hominem piscibus’*

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

Why do you gain from trying to object to my belief?

I doubt anyone here objects to you believing whatever you choose to believe.  What most people will object to is someone wanting to force their beliefs onto others.  Some people of faith will give the explanation that it’s their duty as a - “name of their religion here” - to spread the “word” and in fact will claim it’s their god-given right to do so.

Then they wish to have their beliefs promoted in the public schools with prayer and taught in the science classroom alongside evolution (to be fair & give the students another explanation of how we came into being) while ignoring the fact that Intelligent Design/creationism isn’t science.

Often they’ll show their true hypocrisy by bleating how freedom of speech allows them to promote their views ( for example, on buses & billboards)  but become very upset when some other group such as a pro-choice ( abortion) or atheist group use buses & billboards to promote their views… I guess they mean freedom of speech BUT ONLY WHEN we agree with your views.

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  141
Joined  2010-09-21

However…. I’m afraid that you’ve gone and upset Ol’ Stinky here, and he has a few words to say about dredging up tired and pointless arguments that have been around since well before the Internet. Most of those words are gonna be ‘splat’ and ‘thud’, but I think you’ll find his debate tactics startlingly effective. Or at least startling.

Now I’m wondering if “Ol’ Stinky” happens to be a Darwin fish…

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless - you could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true!

“Weaseling out of things is what separates us from the animals. Except the weasel.” ... H Simpson

“The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas.”

Posted: 01 March 2011 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

And most of the folks here at the MoH tend to try and maintain a “beliefs neutral” stance.  (At least as regards posts here.)  You have every right to believe as you wish, just please refrain from using them to try and “get a rise” out of other posters.  Certain topics are guaranteed to cause waves.  The whole ‘religion vs. science’ thing is one of them.  (Hence the silence after most comments on threads of this type…)  wink

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 01 March 2011 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21
feotu - 01 March 2011 07:50 PM

Now I’m wondering if “Ol’ Stinky” happens to be a Darwin fish…

Trout, actually.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

4 of 4