2 of 8
{/paginate}
Snow?  are you kidding me!?
Posted: 19 December 2009 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Last night I kept peeking out the curtains to see if it had started snowing yet.  At 11:00 there was still nothing and I was struggling to stay awake so we climbed into bed.  However, I got up one last time to check and when I climbed up the loft ladder again I hoped that Erik’s eyes would open enough for me to report…..............“It’s started to snow” I said. 

I was amazed that I was actually excited (what’s wrong with me?)

I slept fitfully and finally jaunted down the ladder from bed and looked out the windows.  It’s still snowing, it’s deep and the wind is beginning to pick up so a lot of snow has already been hurled onto the windows and sticking there. 

Erik is still sleeping happily; I’m having coffee and have turned the Christmas tree lights on. 

I can’t believe it!  I’m having a White Yule and Christmas even though these are still not quite here yet.

I’m glad we got those donuts and I’m glad we’re warm inside here, still have electricity and I’m glad we don’t have to go anywhere! 

Acci, I rather think having refugees is pretty neat!  I’d use the word ‘cool’ or ‘kool’ but that’d be taking a real bite. 

Dave, I’d not want to send any message via FuzzyButt…....he’s tattered so many of his flight feathers that he can’t even glide at the moment HAHAHAHA!!!

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 December 2009 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5527
Joined  2007-03-14
Accipiter - 19 December 2009 04:52 AM

Well, we got snow.  And more snow.  And more snow.

Currently, all roads are unpassable, with about three solid inches of ice covered in another four of snow.  Back roads, side roads, highways, Main Street in the middle of town. . .all of them are the same.  Even the Interstate is apparently not usable, despite the Department of Transportation having given up on all other roads and concentrating everything on it.  Average traffic speed is about three hours per mile (that’s not an exaggeration, either), and that’s for the few vehicles that haven’t crashed or just gotten stuck on ice or on the sides of the roads.  Many motorists have had to hike to the nearest shelter.  Currently there are eight refugees staying here in this house; the latest one just came ringing the doorbell about an hour ago.  Most phone lines seem to be out of commission, though these ones are still working (although the circuits were all jammed much of the day).  It is all rather interesting.

Hopefully it will be a little less exciting where you are, Hulitoons.

Sounds like it was here a couple of weeks ago when we got dumped on.  I figured I had about 2 ft of snow in a day and a half.  Most of it is still around although it’s been melting the last couple of days.  I checked the weather when I woke up yesterday morning and it was -4 in the city with a high of about +4 C.  I took a look at other areas across the country and noticed that Iqualit on Baffin Island (way above the arctic circle) was +4C and it was raining.  Whitehorse in the Yukon was 0C.  So I’m stuck wondering how in the heck places that far north can be that warm in December and places across the prairies are -20C at the same time.  Maybe I should move further north.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 19 December 2009 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It was only up to about my knees, so say about a foot and a half of snow over an afternoon.  The road crews have managed to clear a lot of the roads; I haven’t actually gone out driving (I don’t feel enough incentive yet to work on unentombing my car), but I walked around town a bit.  Main Street is in decent shape, as are most of the other major roads.  Side roads are problematical, still.  Our road was cleared nice and early. . .one of the advantages to living on the same road as the fire station, ambulance station, and sheriff’s headquarters are on.

All of our unplanned visitors have departed except for three silly girls.  Everybody else was going someplace in or around town, and so were able to go out when the required roads were cleared and freed their vehicles.

It wasn’t really all that heavy of a snowfall compared to what many other places get, but for around here it was about ten times what they normally get in one storm.  It was as though San Diego in California suddenly had three inches of snow, or like Scotland having a day above 40

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 December 2009 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

And it’s still snowing heavily here and hasn’t let up since last night.  I did hear a plow earlier on the highway behind us but nothing since.  There are a few vehicles here and there on the highway but they’re driving through snow and it gets thrown up all over the place.

No footprints.  No animals either, no birds, squirrels, cat, dogs, nothing’s moving out there except the one neighbor earlier who shoveled the walk but now he’s inside and anything shoveled earlier are no longer evident.  No plows to our street either.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 19 December 2009 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

It’s still snowing here, too, but the cats, squirrels, and ducks have been busily blazing trails through the white stuff.  Lots of little footprints keep appearing all over.  And at least one faceprint, from where Marshmallow got a bit clumsy.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 December 2009 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Still nothing moving here.  The snow’s so heavy now that you can barely see through it.  We can no longer open our doors either. 

Erik just got the phone, another call from Harford County warning that the snow will continue, and that, at the time the calls first started there was over a foot of snow and I guarantee you it’s well above that by now since ‘Scully’ is one of the last names called (that’s Erik’s last name and I’m not listed).

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2009 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15023
Joined  2006-08-16

We got about eighteen inches over the last two days. If the rain we got was snow.

At least, that’s what they said on the weather report last night.  Why the weather person felt it necessary to tell us what we would get if the weather was different, I don’t know. Maybe just to change it up from telling us what we’re going to get, but then don’t.

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 19 December 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

I thought I had left the snow behind me when I came (south)east!  WE had been planning to take the Metro in to DC (I think?  I’m not too clear on the details) but… doesn’t look like it.  Unfortunately, given my sleep schedule through finals, I was nearly asleep during dinner last night so we came back here around 8 and didn’t try to leave until just about an hour ago.

Yeah… I don’t think anything’s happening today except the finding of food.  Ma-kun went to go find a shovel (he’s walking to Sears, as we couldn’t get the car out) and then I think we’ll find something to eat and return here.  I wasn’t expecting a blizzard, so I only packed the shoes I was wearing, which are… not conducive to wet/snowy walks.

I really hope we can get to DC, not just to visit Huli, but I really wanted to see the old Hubble camera and corrective lens that they put up in the Smithsonian… I haven’t been there since I was eleven or twelve, so I was really excited. downer

Posted: 19 December 2009 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Ahdora, I was afraid to call you because I thought maybe you’d found a way to get to DC since you’re a lot closer than we are to it HAHAHA!  though I was pretty sure NOT!  The Smithsonian is closed and we can even get out of our house.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2009 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

I figured as much in terms of the Smithsonian. We’ll still have to find a way to go out though, since we’re driving back to Minnesota and Ma-kun will be visiting his family there over Christmas, there isn’t really any food in the apartment as he didn’t want to leave it to spoil.  There are some leftovers from dinner last night, and some English muffins, but that’s not a lot.

Posted: 19 December 2009 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Oh Ahdora!  Did he get back from Sears yet?  It’s still snowing hard here and starting to really blow as well.  But we’re further north. 

When were you planning to head out then to family for Christmas?

Signature 

{paginate}
2 of 8
{/paginate}