1 of 2
{/paginate}
Thoughtless or dumb or unwanted….
Posted: 18 December 2009 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8385
Joined  2005-04-17

Erik shared with me some really thoughtless or clueless gift-giving stories he’d been listening to on the radio while coming home from work.  It was not only funny, but also sad in some case.  He didn’t relay all of them but here are a couple:

A husband bought his wife a shotgun and a day glo vest.  While both of these may seem to go hand-in-hand, the wife didn’t hunt nor was she interested in guns of any kind.

Another wife relayed her story of disappointment when she opened her gift from her husband and then didn’t know how to react even though she knew he loved her and cared for her safety; he’d given her tire chains.

Another was a friend’s gift which was a slushy maker.  The receiver realized, however, it was used since it hadn’t been cleaned.

It’s been years since I’ve been in a position to give gifts to anyone.  This year I can finally give to Erik which is a first since I never had funds before (I surely didn’t want him buying his own gifts), aside from those I made.  I actually spent almost my entire allotment on his this year and am terrified he’s not going to like them so I left the receipts inside so he can return them. 

I do remember MANY years ago buying a ping-pong table for my x who loved the game.  My neighbor next door helped me put it together in the basement so it would be a surprise ready to go.  I’d also purchased a movie camera and his family members got accessories for the camera which would be opened later Christmas day.

First he opened the camera and sighed a VERY exasperating sigh and informed me that he was not taking it out of the box at all and said that he wanted the receipt so he could take it back as soon as possible.  I was crushed because not only did he not want my gift (just this one cost a fortune), but that other gifts he was going to get that day would be filling up the car to be returned and other family members would likewise be crushed. 

The next few gifts (I don’t even recall now what they were) were considered then tossed aside except for one which was a butterfly knife. 

However, I hoped that I might be redeemed at least in part when I led him to the basement for his last gift, the ping pong table.  He stood, head jutted up between basement ceiling beams and I got another sigh.  He was taller than either me or my neighbor and would not even be able to see the ball coming let alone hit it back.  He suggested sarcastically that he could cut his legs down a bit, and at that moment I even considered it.  (the table could have been moved, but he was not interested, simply turned around and went back upstairs to watch tv and play with his knife)

I cried the rest of that Christmas away.  I never wanted to give another gift to anyone except maybe a cheap token.  And I didn’t. 

I’m sure I have received dumb gifts but I have loved them all because someone thought of me even if it was only long enough to write or type out my name for an address or a little tag.  I am terrified Erik will not like the gifts I got for him and Ikeep looking at the wrapped and hidden items every day…..scared….......

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 18 December 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah… That’s a level of out right douchebaggery, there. You accept the gifts graciously, and smile. Granted, it sounds to me like he was being an emotionally-manupulative ass, and you’re well to be rid of him.

My stepmother’s side of the family keeps giving me booze. It’s decent, but I rarely drink, and only socially… and since my friends don’t drink, it’s *very* rare. I’ve since foisted off a few bottles as housewarming pressies.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 18 December 2009 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

Wow Huli.  Your ex was an ass.  yu should have beaten him with the table legs and filmed it with the camera to show all of your friends and family.  wink

As Crafty has mentioned before, last year she bought her mother a book. Crafty selected it because it seemed to be just the style that her mom had been foisted off on us for several years. (She often gives us her used Tom Clancy novels and suchlike.)  Her mom opened it, read the title, and said, “Why would you think i would like THAT?” blank stare

When Crafty told me, i just about went back over there and fed it to her a page at a time! mad (Crafty was crushed.)

Unfortunately some people don’t get it. In her mom’s case, she makes up a list of presents and fully expects that we will only buy from that list. rolleyes Unfortunately, we can’t afford Saks 5th Ave….. downer

I am sure Erik will LOVE what you have gotten him. (Just because you care enough to try….) hmmm grin

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 18 December 2009 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15026
Joined  2006-08-16

I agree with pretty much what Robin and Dave said, Huli.  Your ex was a jerk and being a manipulative jerk, which matches some of the other stories you’ve told us about him.

But from what you’ve told us of Erik I’m sure he will love whatever you got him just becuase you did pick it out. And you picked it out for him!

(Now make sure you have Erik read this thread before Christmas morning just in case. That way he can react appropriately. wink )

Signature 

Attention to detail: An apostrophe is the difference between a company that knows its shit and a company that knows it’s shit.

Posted: 18 December 2009 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I have had gift giving phobia every since girl scouts when we had a gift exhange one Christmas.  We didn’t buy for anybody in particular, but just brought a present to the party and you picked it out of a bag or something.

Well, nerd that I am, I bought some type of puzzle (pre rubiks cube days, but something like that),and the girl that got it was very upset and disappointed.  I was crushed.  Only years later did I realize that she was a spoiled baby.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 18 December 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2890
Joined  2005-06-15

Huli I think you’re a sweet and sensitive individual. On Christmas Day I will know that you will have given of yourself in a loving way and to me that is what really matters.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 19 December 2009 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21

Not much to say, Huli, except ditto what everyone else has said.  I know you care a great deal about the people around you, and I’m sure you put a great deal of thought and love into Erik’s presents.

I know it’s hard, but try not to worry too much, hon. *bighugs*

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2009 12:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

My mom’s a hard person to shop for. She never likes being given gifts (if she wants something, she just gets it herself). Every year, she makes a point to figure out one thing for my dad and brother and I to get for her.

Two years ago, she said that the one thing she wanted was a new wheelbarrow. When my dad and I were at Home Depot, I asked him if we should get one while we were there. He said it would be too difficult to get home and got her a toaster instead. shut eye

We ended up giving the toaster back, Mom got her wheelbarrow later, and the next year’s gift for her (a sugar bowl) was much better received.

Oh, and a few years ago, my Physics class decided to spontaneously have a Secret Santa event. I got a little moose doll for my person. She accepted it happily enough. When I got to my English class, about six periods later, I noticed that the teacher had the exact same moose doll on his desk…

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 19 December 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02
daveprime - 19 December 2009 05:17 AM

Not much to say, Huli, except ditto what everyone else has said.  I know you care a great deal about the people around you, and I’m sure you put a great deal of thought and love into Erik’s presents.

I know it’s hard, but try not to worry too much, hon. *bighugs*

*sigh* red face  Did it again…. downer

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 19 December 2009 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
Crafty Dragon - 19 December 2009 05:20 AM

Do we need to get you two to start writing every comment as a professional letter?

“18 December, 2009

Dear Hulitoons,

I feel that etc. etc. etc. . .

Sincerely,

Crafty Dragon, Montanaian Extraordinaire”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 19 December 2009 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

LOL
No, I just need my own computer to use again!

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 19 December 2009 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-02-21
Accipiter - 19 December 2009 06:23 AM
Crafty Dragon - 19 December 2009 05:20 AM

Do we need to get you two to start writing every comment as a professional letter?

“18 December, 2009

Dear Hulitoons,

I feel that etc. etc. etc. . .

Sincerely,

Crafty Dragon, Montanaian Extraordinaire”

Even funnier is that she almost responded to your post….AS ME…Again!!! LOL  LOL
Gee, think she’s hinting about what she wants for her b-day in Jan.? wink

Naw….... blank stare  cheese

Signature 

{paginate}
1 of 2
{/paginate}