Yakult etc
Posted: 12 December 2009 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2865
Joined  2005-06-15

I’ve started drinking Yakult in an attempt to settle down my stomach. I have this problem with too much acid being produced in my stomach occasionally. I’m also taking tablets that have stopped the problem for now.

Do products like Yakult and Jalna really have an affect on health? They claim to help promote “healthy bacteria” or whatever in the body.

Now I’m unemployed (apart from my temporary job from next month) I want to make sure I’m not wasting too much money on things that might not work. But if these products do work I won’t mind spending more money on them.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 12 December 2009 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2065
Joined  2005-12-05

I don’t know, but I instantly “cured” my acid reflux (or acid stomach) by walking a mile each day.  I suppose exercise really does have a positive effect on digestion, because I stopped from day one.  Also, it turns out all that acid over the years may have played a large part of my interstitial cystitis, so whatever it takes to make it go away, by all means do it.  I do, however, highly recommend the walking along with whatever you do.

My brother in law makes his own kiefer which I suppose is similar, and my husband swears by it.  Of course now the page is pre-biotics which feed the pro-biotics.

Signature 

Space…..it seems to go on and on forever, but then you get to the end and the gorrilla starts throwing barrels at you. - Phlip J. Fry

Posted: 12 December 2009 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
Bebelicious - 13 December 2009 12:56 AM

I don’t know, but I instantly “cured” my acid reflux (or acid stomach) by walking a mile each day.  I suppose exercise really does have a positive effect on digestion, because I stopped from day one.  Also, it turns out all that acid over the years may have played a large part of my interstitial cystitis, so whatever it takes to make it go away, by all means do it.  I do, however, highly recommend the walking along with whatever you do.

My brother in law makes his own kiefer which I suppose is similar, and my husband swears by it.  Of course now the page is pre-biotics which feed the pro-biotics.

I’m glad you’re feeling better. If you find walking helps then by all means keep it up. That’s something I should do when I can as it is for my weight problem.

I have seen kits for making home made yoghurt but with study and everything next year I don’t know if I’d have the time to keep that up.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 12 December 2009 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8383
Joined  2005-04-17

Pro-biotics or acidophilus help improve digestion naturally by providing natural flora. 

I had a real problem with acid just this past year and didn’t realize I’d had it for many years prior.  I didn’t recognize the discomfort for what it was until an odd thing happened:  I couldn’t sleep flat or flat on my side….I couldn’t sleep in bed at all because of terrible pain that I thought was from my back, a slipped disk since I’d had injuries before.  I was so sure it was this because I’d been taking Rolaids and Tums and nothing helped but Motrin.  The only way I could sleep was to sit completely up.  I’d go to bed, lay down and then the pain would start and escalate and I’d have to sit up to stop it.  I’d go downstairs and sit in my chair and be so tired that I could do that and each morning I felt a lot better but as the day progressed, so did the pain.

Erik bought me a back brace and I tried that and sleeping on a wedge, but no matter what I did, the pain would be there. 

My older sister listened to this over the course of two weeks and one night while we were talking she told me that she’d had to take my 13-year old nephew in to the doctor because of pain that sounded too ironically like what I had been describing to her.  My nephew showed the doctor where the pain was and it was just like mine.  His doctor put him on Zantac.  I had heard of this product and even seen it in the pharmacy but would never have associated it with what I was feeling since this really did NOT seem like it was from digestion (though I did realize after all this that the pain progressed as the day went along because I was, after all, eating as the day went along).

Erik immediately went to the pharmacy and got me Zantac 150, the strongest made over the counter.  We figured it surely couldn’t hurt.  I took one and that night I slept….in bed….like a baby and have continued ever since. 

But the really odd thing is that for quite a few years I’ve had funny stomach discomfort but just dismissed it.  I also had nights when I would wake up suddenly feeling the need to throw up and it would feel like someone was punching me in the stomach over and over. 

Antacids do absolutely nothing for me, but this stupid little pill has, after MANY years, taken away all that pain and discomfort.

Signature 

SilentTone: hulitoons blog of just plain silliness?
UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 December 2009 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Eh, the stuff could help you replenish your little friendly internal bacteria if for some reason you happen to lose them.  And it would certainly have various good nutritious stuff in it.  So long as you didn’t let other weird bacteria grow in it and you’re not allergic to dairy, it will at worst be a slightly nutritious drink.  And drinking it fairly often might even help to keep you from becoming lactose intolerant, since in a lot of people lactose intolerance is triggered by not eating much in the way of dairy products.

As far as it helping with stomach acid, you’ll just have to try it and see.  It might help, or it might not.

And I haven’t a clue about the price of it or its price in relation to other things you have there.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 December 2009 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 13 December 2009 01:54 AM

His doctor put him on Zantac.

That’s what I’ve been using. I’ve got the standard version of Zantac and my problem went away in about 24 hours. I’ve also got Buscopan Forte for use if I get aches in my stomach.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 12 December 2009 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17
Peter - 13 December 2009 02:30 AM
hulitoons - 13 December 2009 01:54 AM

His doctor put him on Zantac.

That’s what I’ve been using. I’ve got the standard version of Zantac and my problem went away in about 24 hours. I’ve also got Buscopan Forte for use if I get aches in my stomach.

I take this once a day now, at night and sometimes twice if I know I’m going to eat something acidic (you’re not supposed to take it more often than that).  When this first started though I took one in the morning and one at night for a couple weeks until I knew it was under control.  You’ll need the 150, not standard.  The standard is used mostly for children or people with very mild intermittent problems. 

My sister told my nephew’s doctor what had been going on with me and that I took the advice for my nephew and used it myself with what felt to me a miracle.  This product does not work in the same way as an antacid or even flora compounds (I have the pro-biotic and while I’m sure it helps in the lower digestive tract it will not work with acid).  Acid often does not feel like heat or ‘acid’ burn to all individuals.  The symptoms vary such as with me.  The pain I was having didn’t feel like it was coming from my stomach exactly - it wrapped around my waist to the back - except once in a while (which is why I tried Tums).

I’ve had no problems since that happened and I NEVER want to again but this is ALL I take.  It was during that time though that I started drinking milk again too and that has been heavenly.  Just 2% (Erik drinks skim but that tastes like wet chalk to me).  I had stopped drinking milk when I was too poor to get it and got used to not having it.  When this all started I started drinking milk again and all of a sudden my fingernails grow, my hair is growing, my skin improved.

OH!!  Note:  take Zantac BEFORE you eat.  It isn’t used like an antacid that you take after the pain starts.  You need to take it BEFORE!  Try doing one in the morning and then one in the evening for awhile.

Signature 

UBUNTU’ in the Xhosa culture means: ‘I am because we are.)”  So, I AM because WE are

Posted: 12 December 2009 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-06-15
hulitoons - 13 December 2009 02:55 AM

I take this once a day now, at night and sometimes twice if I know I’m going to eat something acidic (you’re not supposed to take it more often than that).  When this first started though I took one in the morning and one at night for a couple weeks until I knew it was under control.  You’ll need the 150, not standard.  The standard is used mostly for children or people with very mild intermittent problems.

Mine seems to be an intermittent problem but I’ll ask my doctor about it the next time I’m there. I’m glad things have improved for you.

Signature 

I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Posted: 12 December 2009 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-17

Indeed they have!  I always assumed that waking up with the feeling I needed to dash to the bathroom to be VERY deathly sick was because of hormonal fluctuations.  But that happened too during the day even when I was out and it was HORRIBLE!  But having to sit up to sleep?  Oh no, I never want to go through that again.  So for me, this has been a miracle and nothing less than that.

Signature 

Posted: 01 January 2010 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  208
Joined  2009-12-31

I used to drink Yakult for fun….i honestly liked them. Now i drink another one whose name escapes me.

I had no idea what they were used for.

Kind Regards
King Fluffs

Signature 

Cryptids On Land Are Easier To Hunt Than Those In Sea And Air.