Parents say Minneapolis cop seized kids
Posted: 25 November 2009 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08

From the Minneapolis Star Tribune

A Minneapolis officer was charged with false imprisonment for driving off with two boys who he believed were being mischievous.

The 13-year-old son of John and Tara Farrell and a 12-year-old friend were walking in Brooklyn Park one August night when a Cadillac Escalade sped up and the driver ordered them inside.

The man drove to his nearby house, sat the frightened boys on a curb and slapped handcuffs on them. Only then did they learn that they had been placed under citizen’s arrest by off-duty Minneapolis police officer Tony Adams, whose doorbell had been rung earlier by someone who fled and who had heard from neighbors that teens might be breaking into vehicles in the area.

The Farrells, who had called 911 about their missing son and had been frantically searching for him, didn’t learn the identity of the man they believed had abducted the boys for at least 10 minutes.

The incident traumatized their son, they say, and on Tuesday the couple talked about how criminal charges filed against Adams will, in their view, make sure the incident isn’t “brushed under the rug.”

Adams, 42, a decorated 20-year member of the department known for community policing, was charged Nov. 13 with felony false imprisonment and gross misdemeanor interfering with a 911 call. He was placed on paid administrative leave last week, and is under internal investigation.

Chris Madel, Adams’ attorney, said he was doing what any cop would have done if alerted to trouble in his neighborhood. “The criminal complaint against Tony is wrong on the facts of the law and is morally wrong,” he said. “He knows he’s innocent, and he’s angry.”

The case was prosecuted by the Wright County attorney’s office because many of Adams’ cases are handled by Hennepin County.

“At issue wasn’t so much that he was an off-duty officer. The issue was if he had the authority to make a citizen’s arrest,” said assistant Wright County attorney Lee Martie.

The statute on how to make a citizen’s arrest is well-defined, he said. The crime has to be committed in the presence of the person making the arrest, who must identify himself and tell the person the reason for the arrest, Martie said. The arrester then is required to take the person to a law enforcement agency.

“Our office didn’t feel Mr. Adams’ actions met this definition,” Martie said.

According to the court document, several people called 911 about 10:25 p.m. Aug. 13 to report the apparent kidnapping of two children. The first call came from a man sitting outside his house who heard Adams pull up in his vehicle, swear at the boys and order them into the car. The document said Adams told the boys “they were going to learn respect.”

Another call came from a man who saw the boys taken away, the document said. He was able to call the 12-year-old, who said a Minneapolis cop had them in handcuffs.

When the man later confronted Adams, the officer replied, “You’re damn right when they’re coming and disturbing me I can grab kids like that,” the document said. When asked why Adams didn’t call police, Adams said he was the police.

John Farrell said his son told him Adams yelled and swore at him and his friend. When the boy asked Adams if he was an officer, Adams said he was and threatened to take the teens to a juvenile facility.

As the Farrells searched for their son, who had missed curfew, a neighbor near Adams’ house asked the couple if they were trying to find a child. At about the same time, Adams drove around the corner in the Escalade, Farrell said.

“We saw our child in the back seat, so we stood in front of the vehicle and told the driver to stop,” he said. “We still didn’t know he was an officer.”

Tara Farrell called 911 and sought to have Adams explain to the dispatcher why he had children in his back seat. Adams said, “I am the [expletive] police. I don’t need to talk to them,” the document said. He grabbed Tara Farrell’s wrist, causing her to drop the phone, the document said.

Madel said Adams told him Tara Farrell was hysterical so he got back in his vehicle and waited for police to arrive.

Adams told officers that he had asked the teens where they lived because he wanted to bring them home, but that they didn’t answer, Madel said. Adams also used one of the teen’s cell phones to try to reach a parent, but nobody answered, Madel said.

John Farrell said that the Brooklyn Park officers appeared to know Adams and that they returned Adams’ handcuffs and let him leave. The boys were soon released.

“Why would the officers return his handcuffs if they believed he had just committed a felony?” Madel said. “They would be evidence.”

Two other teens who had been with Farrell’s son and his friend admitted they were playing “ding dong ditch,” but the arrested teens didn’t participate, the document said. None of the boys has been charged.

“I’ve never seen my son so scared when we got him back,” John Farrell said. “We want this officer held accountable. You can’t do certain things just because you are a police officer.”

Adams, who is assigned to downtown’s First Precinct, has been temporarily assigned to internal affairs. He worked for years on the North Side as a school liaison officer and on a drug task force, and has received two Medals of Valor.

“I invited him to my wedding,” said Madel, who has known Adams since 2003. “He would be the officer I would want at my door if I called 911.”

Man… an off-duty cop especially should know that what he did was not a citizen’s arrest.  If other people call the cops to report an abduction, you’ve made a mistake.  And swearing at people you’re ‘arresting’ is never okay; it’s a person’s right to question whether you’re a real officer or not.  I think he overstepped his bounds, big time here. mad

Posted: 25 November 2009 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21

Yep.

You can *always* ask for a uniformed officer to show up in a marked car, because there are bastards out there who pose as cops for various completely unacceptable reasons. Until they do, you don’t have to go with them anyplace, or even provide identification to them until you have someone who is on-duty and in uniform.

Just don’t go anyplace, and keep your hands where the cop can see them, and they should be happy to get another officer to come by.

Any fudging of protocol get stern looks from judges and internal affairs, and makes lawyers very, very happy.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 26 November 2009 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  534
Joined  2009-08-10

I AM THE LAW!

Posted: 26 November 2009 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6926
Joined  2005-10-21
Mr R - 26 November 2009 08:42 AM

I AM THE LAW!

That’s what she said..

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 26 November 2009 10:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

I’m thinking that the guy thought that he’d just “scare the kids straight” without getting it escalated into a whole big police matter (which would involve paperwork and horrible things like that).  You’ll notice that he only threatened to have them taken away to a a juvenile facility, and then apparently tried to figure out how to get them back to their homes.  Even so, it certainly wasn’t the best way to go about doing so.  At the very least you’d think that he would have put on a uniform or shown a badge.

Mr R - 26 November 2009 08:42 AM

I AM THE LAW!

Wanna fight?

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”