1 of 1
{/paginate}
National Security Agency’s Surveillance Data Could Fill Two States by 2015
Posted: 15 November 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5147
Joined  2005-01-27

We always knew that the National Security Agency collects a lot of surveillance data from satellites and by other means, but we never quite imagined it was this much: the NSA estimates it will have enough data by 2015 to fill a million datacenters spread across the equivalent combined area of Delaware and Rhode Island. The NSA wants to store yottabytes of data, and one yottabyte comes to 1,000,000,000,000,000 GB.

Online storage startup Backblaze breaks down the mind-boggling numbers. Assuming that hard drives continue to expand their storage space until 2015, the agency would require either 100 billion hard drives or 2 billion Backblaze storage pods—all for an estimated cost of $88 trillion, or just slightly less than today’s global GDP.

This assumes that we won’t have better storage methods and options by 2015, but even a requirement of just hundreds of petabytes calls for bigger data centers.

CrunchGear reports that the NSA has already begun building a new data center in suburban Salt Lake City, complete with huge earth berms to hide classified military hardware and continuous flights of black, unmarked helicopters. We kid you not.

In case you’re wondering just how the NSA plans to come by all its future surveillance data, check out the UK government’s request for ISPs to keep records of all online communication. And then there’s the CIA’s investment in monitoring social networks.

Source: Popular Sciense

Signature 

“By the sweat on our brows, and the strengths of´╗┐ our backs…Gentlemen. Hoist the Colours! And you, madam, I warn you, I know the entire Geneva Convention by heart!”
Trust me.

Posted: 15 November 2009 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Yeah, the NSA has recorded mind-boggling amounts of data daily for decades.  Which is why they’re one of the most heavily-staffed individual government agencies:  while computers scan most of that information and file it away as unimportant, that still leaves an incredible amount of information that has to be read, looked at, or listened to by an actual human being.  Even with all of its workers, the NSA has nowhere near enough workers to actually review the data as thoroughly as they really should.  And that’s why so much information on upcoming things is only dug out of the files after the event.  Only a fraction of a percent of all the information that they record is ever looked at.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 15 November 2009 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, I think they’re hoping to record *every* information exchange, in hopes of analyzing them for potential threats, etc.. Pretty hopeless, really. Even if they had the information, there’s no way they could possibly hope to wade through the information to uncover problems. its only use would be in prosecution, when they could bring up something that happened six months ago…

But yeah, more data than there are atoms in the galaxy? Good luck. I’d rather we spent that kind of money on space colonies, thankyouverymuch.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 16 November 2009 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2878
Joined  2005-06-15

There is work being done on holographic drives for computer storage. It sounds to me though they need to rethink what they actually need to keep records of.

Signature 

I’m not some ordinary moron.
I’m an Oxy-Moron!

Mental Giant: A very tall person who is more than slightly confused.

Posted: 16 November 2009 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21
Peter - 16 November 2009 01:58 PM

There is work being done on holographic drives for computer storage. It sounds to me though they need to rethink what they actually need to keep records of.

I dunno. evey time I hear about ‘holographic disks’, I wonder why people are sticking them in their computer instead of using them for ‘110% effective pain relief!!!!1’...

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

Posted: 16 November 2009 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06

Within 100 years we’ll have data storage facilities on the moon.

Remember, you first read it here!!!

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 16 November 2009 03:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
LaMa - 16 November 2009 06:13 PM

“That’s no moon.  That’s a hard-drive!”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 16 November 2009 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3807
Joined  2008-09-08
Accipiter - 16 November 2009 08:17 PM
LaMa - 16 November 2009 06:13 PM

“That’s no moon.  That’s a hard-drive!”

I thought it was a space station…

Posted: 16 November 2009 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5529
Joined  2007-03-14

And all that data is one reason why I would never worry about the government spying on me   By the time they found something I would be dead.

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

{paginate}
1 of 1
{/paginate}