1 of 1
{/paginate}
My Writing
Posted: 02 November 2009 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1826
Joined  2006-03-03

Well I’m not too sure where to post this but since I’m planning to become a writer when I leave college I thought I might as well see what you guys (Since you have pretty good taste in writing). So here’s a sample of my writing, this is for a character background for a superhero RPG I’m playing over at another forum.

They called me an angel. Maybe it was the wings, maybe it was because I saved them or maybe it was just wishful thinking but I didn’t bother to correct them. The Reverend told me that I was a gift from god but he also says that about the smallest things in life, I owe him my life as he took me in after he discovered me huddled in a smoking crater in the courtyard of the church. He has supported me throughout my new life here, I say ‘new’ life when I’m not even sure if I had an old one. My oldest memory is waking to the touch of the old mans hands on my forehead, checking my temperature as I lay in the small shack outside the church and hearing his cracking voice muttering to himself “...falling from Lord-knows-where straight out of the sky and wings that disappear straight into his back and barely a mark on him, I’d call him an angel but his eyes show to be far more human then that, Christopher you’d of wished to see this!” From then on I started working under him, doing odd-jobs that needed to be done.

It was at this time when my strength became evident and my presence had been noticed by the citizens of the town so Reverend Nayder had to think up a way to pass me off as someone that wouldn’t draw much attention and from then on I became Christopher Nayder II, taking the name of his late elder brother and pass myself off as his son. But both me and the Reverend realised that my gifts could be used for something much greater than a simple odd-jobs man, I could be someone that could make a difference in the world, I could be a hero.

My first adventure could of gone a lot better, I underestimated my opponent for he showed no outside signs of power but as I told him to drop what he had taken from the safety deposit boxes I felt a deep chill running through my veins and my own body buckle as his icy blast stabbed into my skin like a thousand dull daggers. As my vision started to blur the robber stepped up to me, his skin shedding as if a simple disguise revealing blue skin underneath with blonde hair changing to neon yellow and eyes turning a bright red that glowed with an inner light. Then he spoke, his voice possessing it’s own chill “Don’t try your luck against Cold Snap, got it Wings?” And as if someone had just flipped a switch everything went black.

That was six months ago, I still haven’t had much luck tracking down this ‘Cold Snap’ but I have had successes elsewhere, using an abandoned church building just outside of town and the help of Reverend Nayder I hope to make my mark on this city and for them to see me as I hope they do. As someone who can make a difference in this world. A Saviour.

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Because dignity is overrated anyway cheese

Posted: 02 November 2009 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

Mal, I really like the storyline for your character.  My inner editor is twitching a little bit, but I can ignore it (her?).  I could definitely see a whole series of stories written about Christopher (maybe a graphic novel or series of comic books?).

You’ve got talent, kiddo! grin

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 02 November 2009 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

I like it and wouldn’t mind reading more, Mal. smile

Crafty Dragon - 02 November 2009 11:41 PM

My inner editor is twitching a little bit, but I can ignore it (her?).

Same here, but I’m keeping her squashed down. wink

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 November 2009 06:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Thanks guys smile And please, don’t ignore the editor, I really want to try and get everything about my writing tuned up raspberry And coments, whether it’s criticism or praise is honestly welcome. smile

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Posted: 02 November 2009 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02
Madmouse - 02 November 2009 11:42 PM

I like it and wouldn’t mind reading more, Mal. smile

Crafty Dragon - 02 November 2009 11:41 PM

My inner editor is twitching a little bit, but I can ignore it (her?).

Same here, but I’m keeping her squashed down. wink

I have this really fun mental image of you and me stuffing little people down into barrels, saying, “Shh!  He didn’t ask us to edit, just to read!  Shh!  Get back in there!” grin

...That’s kind of weird, isn’t it?.... LOL

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 02 November 2009 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-02

Mal, mainly for me, it’s a matter of punctuation and run-on sentences, though there are only a couple of those.  Also, something about the second paragraph seems a little awkward, but I haven’t figured out how to fix it.  I know the gist of what you want to say, so that’s what my brain registers, without actually changing the wording, if that makes sense.

Signature 

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 02 November 2009 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15276
Joined  2006-01-17

Yeah, the punctuation is noticeable, although possibly just to pedants like us!

Signature 

Research Mod

“We are wise to avoid association with those who hide their identity in Internet chat rooms.”
                                                                  - The Watchtower

The platypus is mother nature’s way of saying, “I made this thing out of spare parts I found on the workshop floor, and it can still ****ing cripple you.”

Sylvia Browne

Posted: 02 November 2009 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

I always waned to become an author but i’m too lazy to. I post in other forums stories, but I’m too lazy to finish them smile. Plus I’m always in a hurry and i can never type properly. (Speed-typing became an addiction to me and i can never ever get used to it. Ever.) Anyway, good work Mal.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 22 December 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Well I’ve recently written another story for college, this time an attempt at a short comic fantasy story. I call it Prophecies.

It is said that if you were to follow the pointed mountains south, chase the muddy waters of the largest swamps and hike for about three days through the driest, most implausibly place, desert that will suddenly pop into view you will come across a great forest. If you manage to make it through the forest without alerting any of those particularly nasty wolves then you will appear right back on the north side of the pointed mountains. However, if you just went east from the mountains you would come across a large, for a village anyway, settlement known to its occupants as Hillsville. Hillsville was founded by a group of philosopher-explorers known as The Barnmen and was named by for the large hills around the village by their leader, Sir Reginald

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Posted: 22 December 2009 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Cont.

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

Posted: 22 December 2009 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2501
Joined  2008-03-23

Hm… Good work too! I was looking to take a break from the usual fantasy stories i’m reading because they’re all cliche but when seeing this, i think of it something different. Slightly humored which is kinda what other fantasies are not. If you make it less cliche’d I’d give it a 11/10. But even know i give it a 8.5/10. Incredibly good and almost as good as good omens.

Signature 

Why does spellcheck hate me?
GO HERE
Those who wish to fight, must now about eternal might. The blue skies turn red, Maybe it’s time you fled? Why wait for the army to strike when you know you don’t need to fight? Aren’t I right? The flower will bloom, and after the blue skies turn red, out comes your doom.
GO HERE….or else…My pets wont grow

Posted: 23 December 2009 08:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Thanks Silver cheese Though the clich

Signature 

I am the Malfunction!

{paginate}
1 of 1