{/paginate}
Great response to Kirk Cameron
Posted: 12 October 2009 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
DavePrime - 12 October 2009 06:01 PM

How about teaching kids that they will know the truth of physics or chemistry by a “burning in their bosom”? hmmm  cheese

With physics or chemistry, that’s a very real literal possibility. . .  wink

“No, Timmy, don’t swallow those pure sodium pellets-. . .oh well.  Never mind.  Class, watch Timmy now and learn about violently exothermic reactions.”

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 12 October 2009 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10730
Joined  2008-02-21
Accipiter - 12 October 2009 08:13 PM

How about teaching kids that they will know the truth of physics or chemistry by a “burning in their bosom”? hmmm  cheese

“No, Timmy, don’t swallow those pure sodium pellets-. . .oh well.  Never mind.  Class, watch Timmy now and learn about violently exothermic reactions.”

cheese  LOL

I miss the way we used to learn from chemistry…..sodium shavings in the sink or damp garbage can…..mercury to play with….chemicals in chemistry sets that actually could make something go BOOM!!. downer

We have overprotected ourselves into mediocrity…. downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 12 October 2009 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
DavePrime - 12 October 2009 10:51 PM
Accipiter - 12 October 2009 08:13 PM

cheese  LOL

I miss the way we used to learn from chemistry…..sodium shavings in the sink or damp garbage can…..mercury to play with….chemicals in chemistry sets that actually could make something go BOOM!!. downer

We have overprotected ourselves into mediocrity…. downer

I dunno, when I took Chem three years ago we did some cool experiments including making sparklers out of a piece of coat hanger and some goop we mixed up ourselves. Another time, we lit a piece of magnesium on fire. My lab partner and I were not sure what would happen and watched very closely for what we expected to be a subtle reaction. As soon as we regained our sight, the first thing we saw was the line in the lab instructions: Do not look directly at the lit magnesium!

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 13 October 2009 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14
ZeldaQueen - 12 October 2009 11:57 PM

Another time, we lit a piece of magnesium on fire. My lab partner and I were not sure what would happen and watched very closely for what we expected to be a subtle reaction. As soon as we regained our sight, the first thing we saw was the line in the lab instructions: Do not look directly at the lit magnesium!

So now you can tell all the religious folks that you “saw the light” in chemistry class!

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 13 October 2009 11:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
Accipiter - 13 October 2009 11:14 PM
ZeldaQueen - 12 October 2009 11:57 PM

Another time, we lit a piece of magnesium on fire. My lab partner and I were not sure what would happen and watched very closely for what we expected to be a subtle reaction. As soon as we regained our sight, the first thing we saw was the line in the lab instructions: Do not look directly at the lit magnesium!

So now you can tell all the religious folks that you “saw the light” in chemistry class!

Ah, so that’s what they’re referring to. Hark, the solution to the science/religion in public schools debate may yet have been solved!

Call Jack Chick!

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 14 October 2009 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2009-09-24
Accipiter - 12 October 2009 03:35 AM

Yeah, a lot of activists are very much in favour of freedom of personal choice. . .so long as everybody chooses to act and believe exactly as that activist says they should.  Try to practice your freedom to believe in something else, and the activist suddenly cries about how it’s immoral or illegal or whatever.

I wonder what the people who complain that religion ought to be taught in science classes would think about having their church services interrupted to present lessons on modern evolutionary theory?  Pretty much every single argument that they make in favour of the one idea is also just as valid for the other.

I went to a Christian high school, I was basically sent there by my folks, there was some debate to include biblical doctrine in some subjects and to omitt some theories or schools of thought from others. Long story short , it was found that the students were suffering and could not compete academically with the rest of the state, and was soon returned to the uniform syllabus.

At the end of the day the basic foundation principals of most universally accepted religions, i.e be good to others , love thy neighbour, all the intrinsically good qualities that are taught are all pretty cool.

It is when fundamentalists , of any religion , start applying their beliefs in a way that encroaches on peoples, lifestyle, well being , comfort zones or normal way of life that segregation, anger, angst and frustration start to manifest themselves and can cause diharmony in small groups , communties and even countries.

Live and let live, it doesn’t matter whether you go over the bridge , under the bridge , just as long as you get there.

Here in Australia we are finding more and more that christian fundamentalists are really having a negative inpact on families in the community. Too many people are sucked into this quasi theatrical worship type format, that after a while are almost trained into pushing the ultra conservative and quite confronting ideas onto friends and family , eventually alienating themselves from their normal life. When the lights and theatrics have gone, sometimes there is noone to pick up the pieces. It is a real shame , I reckon everything in moderation.

There ! I have had my spleen vent!

Signature 

Some men are wise and some are otherwise

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}