America’s most banned book
Posted: 05 October 2009 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21
ZeldaQueen - 05 October 2009 02:23 AM
Ares - 04 October 2009 08:28 PM

The most funny thing is that in the bible, there are more killings in the name of god then that in the name of the devil.

The devil’s a sneaky bugger. wink

Actually, you don’t really hear him doing much himself. Isn’t it usually demons or minions who carry out his will? In which case, isn’t it them people should concentrate on worrying about?

Well, since the his number of evil minions is NOT limitless, I figure they are probably concentrating their effort on people with a LOT more say in things than I have. hmmm (Though I have read and heard of cases that could almost ONLY be explained by demon-like possession or some-such.)  Though I trult believe that such things only have power over you if you GIVE it to them.  They can, from what I understand, make suggestions and the like, but the final act is up to the person.  So even in cases of possession (if one could actually prove such a thing) it would be pretty much the same as when someone commits a crime under the influence of alcohol or drugs; they chose to put themselves in that state so they are STILL culpable.

I miss Renquist at times like these, I’m sure he would have a unique way of looking at things….. downer

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 05 October 2009 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01
DavePrime - 05 October 2009 04:15 AM
ZeldaQueen - 05 October 2009 02:23 AM
Ares - 04 October 2009 08:28 PM

The most funny thing is that in the bible, there are more killings in the name of god then that in the name of the devil.

The devil’s a sneaky bugger. wink

Actually, you don’t really hear him doing much himself. Isn’t it usually demons or minions who carry out his will? In which case, isn’t it them people should concentrate on worrying about?

Well, since the his number of evil minions is NOT limitless, I figure they are probably concentrating their effort on people with a LOT more say in things than I have. hmmm (Though I have read and heard of cases that could almost ONLY be explained by demon-like possession or some-such.)  Though I trult believe that such things only have power over you if you GIVE it to them.  They can, from what I understand, make suggestions and the like, but the final act is up to the person.  So even in cases of possession (if one could actually prove such a thing) it would be pretty much the same as when someone commits a crime under the influence of alcohol or drugs; they chose to put themselves in that state so they are STILL culpable.

I miss Renquist at times like these, I’m sure he would have a unique way of looking at things….. downer

True, true. Even if someone’s nudging you to do something it’s still your choice. It’s like how people insist that it wasn’t their fault they shoplifted a pen because their friends pressured them to do it.

And where is Renquist? I haven’t seen him around much.

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 05 October 2009 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

Of course, there are also the folks who want to ban any books discussing human anatomy in schools.  Or books discussing biology.  Or books discussing history.  Or books teaching English.

ZeldaQueen - 05 October 2009 11:49 PM

And where is Renquist? I haven’t seen him around much.

I think he caught the moose flu in Canada.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 October 2009 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10731
Joined  2008-02-21

I think that people that want to enforce their own morality on others are, in actuality, very insecure in their own moral guidelines.  it is as if they can only keep themselves from committing some “sin” or somesuch by totally removing what they consider a temptation from society itself.  If they had any real backbone, it wouldn’t matter WHAT was on the shelves, they would simply not read it, or let their kids read it. (That they knew of, anyhow.)

(SEE! i can TOO stay on topic!) raspberry

Signature 

“Always, I Do What Is Necessary” - Rissa Kerguelen
Go to my Blog. It’s lonely.

I Am Still The Black Swan Of Trespass On Alien Waters
To the believer no proof is required; to the skeptic no proof is sufficient.

Posted: 05 October 2009 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  61098
Joined  2005-04-14

If what they see as being some sort of obvious universal truth really is some obvious universal truth, then it wouldn’t matter if their kids read other ideas.  They’d have to see how true the obvious universal truth is.  So the fear that being aware of other ideas will corrupt their kids just goes to show how insecure the parents are in their own ideas.

It’s like some of the nutters we get around this Forum at times, who simply refuse to even look at any information that disagrees with their ideas because they’re afraid it might force them to reconsider their own beliefs.

Signature 

“If any man wish to write in a clear style, let him be first clear in his thoughts.”

Posted: 05 October 2009 09:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1108
Joined  2009-03-01

It

Signature 

“It’s not that I don’t think that the government would try to hide dead aliens; it’s that I don’t think the government would succeed, since every time the government tries to do something secretly, as in the Iran-contra arms deal, it winds up displaying all the finesse and stealth of an exploding cigar at a state funeral.”

~Dave Barry

Posted: 06 October 2009 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2007-07-11
ZeldaQueen - 06 October 2009 01:39 AM

It

Signature 

have you ever danced with the devil in plae moonlight?

2 of 2