1 of 2
O.P.E.C. & Gas prices $$$$
Posted: 17 August 2005 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3687
Joined  2005-02-09

As of today, 08/17/05, gas prices are reaching $2.60 ave…..although Calif. has hit $2.86…...Where I live they rose .06 cents since yesterday hitting $2.56 a gallon…

There is a lot of finger pointing going on, just in case you tried to figure out why gas is getting so high. I have searched for hours on the net and still can’t find a straight answer…...BUT, keep in mind that going to Gov. sites and corp. sites will not get you the answer…...One answer that I happen to believe is that O.P.E.C., who happens to play the MAJOR roll in prices, is wanting to see exactly how much consumers are willing to pay. for example, here is the OPEC’s recent comment to rising oil costs:

“OPEC continues to monitor oil market developments closely and has observed with concern the recent rising trend in oil prices and prevailing volatility in global markets. Noting that this latest increase has been triggered by a series of refinery outages that have aggravated downstream bottlenecks in key consuming regions, along with increasing geo-political tensions, OPEC reiterates its ongoing commitment to maintain market stability with reasonable prices compatible with robust economic growth.”

Hmmm, can you be anymore vague????

Some will say it is the retailers….just to let you know, they make around 0.04 to .15 cents a gallon, although, they will tell you they only make maybe .02 cents a gallon. You will also see the pointing done to the shippers…..or the refinery’s, or the Gov. or it’s the State, or the town you live in, also they blame it on Asia for demanding too much…...Everyone points the finger in another direction, ......Want to know why????? TO KEEP YOU CONFUSED!!!

To help you out, here is a little chart to help you better understand where all the money goes and you decide for yourself…....

Posted: 25 August 2005 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  26363
Joined  2004-11-29

Still it’s a lot cheaper than it is in Aus…we’re currently paying around AUD$1.20 per litre…and my calculations (if they’re correct) works this out to be around USD$3.44 per gallon! big surprise

Signature 

Remember, a Dragon is for life!

Posted: 25 August 2005 05:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1194
Joined  2005-02-22

Just dropped to $2.56 per gallon here from $2.64. Here being Cincinnati, OH. USA.

angry

I swear to whatever that if it gets up to $3.00 per gallon… I will be riding a horse back and forth to work.

*Thank goodness work is only 4.5 miles from home!*

Signature 

Canadian Bacon Rules !!!

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-09

I, myself,, am very happy I just live 10 miles from work…......

Posted: 25 August 2005 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-09

A tank of gas in my mustang will last almost 2 weeks just going to work….

Posted: 25 August 2005 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6453
Joined  2004-11-08

I just think this is stupid.  Hawaii is putting a cap on it.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 25 August 2005 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  629
Joined  2005-01-18

This is going to piss you all off, but I would like it if gas prices went sky high, because that would greatly reduce consumption, and thus pollution and the impact on the environment (which means less bad health for animals and humans).  It would be nice if America adopted rinky-dink cars like they have in other countries…

Signature 

Soldier: This is the worst part. The calm before the battle.
Fry: And then the battle is not so bad?
Soldier: Oh, right. I forgot about the battle.

Posted: 28 August 2005 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

I don’t think it would change consumption.  Too many people live in one city, and work in another.  Sometimes hours apart.  I’ve read about people that have a 4 hour commute round-trip.  They say that the cost of driving back and forth and the upkeep on their vehicles, is still cheaper than living in the city.

I live 11 miles from my workplace.  Of that 11 miles, 3 of it is on the city bus route.  If I wanted to take the bus, I would have to walk 5 miles from my home to the bus stop at about 5:30 in the am, and then 3 miles later, get off the bus to walk the remaining 3 miles next to 6 lanes of a major hwy.  There are no cross walks along this hwy.  Trying to cross the street would be like a death wish.  I COULD cross, but would it really be worth it?  Now that I’m thinking about it, our buses don’t run 24 hours, I know a nearby bus route has busses every half hour, but the one nearest me might not come as often.  I might have to be there for the first stop in order to be at work ontime (if I could walk the remaning miles in enough time).

I COULD walk to work and take the bus, but there’s a good chance I could get killed trying to cross the hwy in the dark, or be late for work - which would cost me my job eventually.

We have enough in reserve right now to lower prices.  This is just pure scare tactics.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

Posted: 02 September 2005 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2005-08-20

Citizen…you got your wish! smile Prices are skyrocketing and America is screaming!

Actually, you may be onto something of value here. I admit freely I don’t like the high prices, but I’ll also say that something positive could come from this.

This energy “crisis” may serve as a real wakeup call to America (myself included) that has been a long time coming.

I remember the first “gas shortage” of 1973 or so…the 55mph national speed limit (yes, I’m dating myself a bit there)

What amazes me is in over 30 years I see no real change in direction in our national energy policy/focus? We’re still burning the same fossil based fuel…we’re still utilizing the same basic combustion engine—-and, now, we’re truly paying the price for it—-literally.

Now, to toss in a “conspiracy” theory. I’ve heard repeatedly that there are prototype engines that approach V8 power and can actually average anywhere from 50-80 mpg. The conspiracy angle comes in to play in that an engine of that type is the LAST thing the petroleum industry (OPEC and our own American companies) wants to be available in mass market. SO, through the payout of massive amounts of money to the powers that be—-they’ve kept a lid on it.

Any possible truth to that?  Does such an engine exist? *shrugs* Dunno…could be yet another of those urban legends.

Anyway, good point CP…time will tell I suppose.

Posted: 02 September 2005 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-09

Yes, they do…..The new Hydrogen hybrid’s can get more then 300 HP….But Oil is a huge money maker and they won’t get rid of it anytime soon…..But I do believe that in the US, you can recieve a $3,000.00 if you get what is currently out.

Posted: 02 September 2005 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2005-08-20

Stephen,

Yep, there is a $2000-3000 tax credit this year for buying a hybrid I think? I’ve also read it drops to $500 next year maybe?

I have no idea how dependable the hybrids are as of yet…this is one of those areas we could have been developing over the last 30 years but didn’t.

Agreed…petroleum isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Alas, we’re still tied to it pretty tightly.

Also…I think one of your original comments is quite valid. Before Katrina—-I think “they” (whoever they actually is) were indeed pushing the edge of the envelope and trying to determine just how far the consumer could be pushed on gas price.

I too am fortunate in that I live less than 10 miles from my work. This is really killing those that drive 30+ miles one way to work (I know a few).

Posted: 04 September 2005 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-11-08

Hybrid vehicles are a nice idea.  I know a lot of people that would like to own one.  I myself, would like to own one.  BUT…how is putting myself into debt helpful?  Purchasing a brand new veh that is upwards of $20k (Toyota’s starting model is $22k min, and Honda’s is $25k min).

Now, if I finance the car, I also have to pay interest, and carry a min of a $500 comp & coll deductible on the vehicle.

So…it’s a nice idea, but not one that everyone has the capacity to indulge in.

Signature 

I’m loving the puppies.

1 of 2