{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}
You know that census guy that was hanged in Kentucky?
Posted: 01 October 2009 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8165
Joined  2005-02-06
Unfairly Balanced - 01 October 2009 10:23 AM

If you want to bomb your own citizens, I would go for a concrete bomb. No explosions and it will flatten the hell out of the target. Plus you have deniability.
“Oh, we are so sorry for that training missile on his house/car/boat…”

Or the good old neutron bomb. Leaves everything intact, kills the inhabitants.

Signature 

———
The Kruger-Dunning effect is rampant on internet fora.
J. Kruger & D. Dunning (1999), Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one’s own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments. J Pers Soc Psychol. 77, 1121-1134

Posted: 01 October 2009 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9101
Joined  2008-03-02

Okay, I have to chime in on this one.  (Though, of course, I could just be deluded by what my bosses at the Census office are telling me, and they in turn could be deluded by what their bosses are telling them, and on and on…)

This spring, I and many others, with the help of hand-held computers, went door-to-door to locate residential units.  (We also had a list of addresses which we used to confirm whether a place was a residence, some kind of group residence, i.e, group home, nursing home, prison, etc., or a non-residence.)  We did not ask who lived at a particular place, nor how many people lived there.  All we did was use the computer to put a dot on a map so that next year the head count is done more quickly and efficiently.

Right now, (at least in Montana and northern Wyoming) we aren’t using the computers, we’re using paper maps with those previously-gathered mapspots on them in order to correctly identify what type of group housing different places are.  I believe that next year when they do the count, different forms get sent out, depending on the type of place.  Again, we’re still not asking WHO lives at a place, nor exactly how many DO live there, just how many COULD.  So the whole idea of using this information to target a specific person’s house is ridiculous.  The whole idea of the Census is (as Acci said) to find out where people live, and how many people there are living here, so that we can determine the number and location of representatives, not just at the Federal level, but also locally, as well as funding for various programs.  Using the computers makes it easier and faster to locate residences, etc.—they even include caves, under bridges, anywhere people live, because they want to count EVERYONE.

I’m not sure how much of that makes sense.  It’s just too darn early, and I wouldn’t even be awake yet if I hadn’t had to be on a conference call earlier. LOL

Signature 

“Like a crazed Nigerian wearing LifeWave Energy Patches” (Nettie, on the night she “banned” me from the MoH!)

“What fools these mortals be…”—Smaug (according to Robert Asprin)

Visit here to help my dragons grow! Thanks!

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

And oh, yeah—my blog.

Posted: 24 November 2009 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5538
Joined  2007-03-14

Well after much thought and analysis it seems that the guy did it all himself. 

article here

Signature 

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you’re a mile away and you have their shoes.

Seen on a tshirt - “If life gives you melons you may be dyslexic”

When life hands you lemons make apple juice. Then laugh while life tries to figure out how you did it.

My blog
My Website

Posted: 24 November 2009 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Five Star Member
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6930
Joined  2005-10-21

Yeah, heard about this.. Ouch. *sigh* He’d have done better driving off the side of the road into a lake.

Signature 

1: Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. If it does what it says, you should have no problem with this.
2: What proof will you accept that you are wrong? You ask us to change our mind, but we cannot change yours?
3: It is not our responsability to disprove your claims, but rather your responsability to prove them.
4. Personal testamonials are not proof.

What part of ‘meow’ don’t you understand?

{paginate}
2 of 2
{/paginate}